Classics from the DC Thomson comics!!

Formerly known as Classics from the Comics, this forum covers all of DCT's retired titles, like Beezer, Topper, Victor, Nutty and Sparky!

Moderator: AndyB

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

I think this is a great move.love seeing the many different comics from DC Thomson like e.g Scoop cartoons..
Maybe humour pages from Girl comics like Toots by Bill Ritchie..
Plug comic?

I wish and wish that Fleetway would do a Monthly mag as well..

Also nice seeing some classics from the annuals.like Little Plum two pager..

Digifiend

Re: Classics from the DC Thomson comics!!

Post by Digifiend »

I thought that Plum strip must be from an annual. I recognised the Desperate Dan they used in the football section too - Dandy Book back cover if I'm not mistaken, don't know what year. They made an embarrassing blooper on the contents page though - win Doctor Who audio games - they mean audio books, of course.

Agree with the idea of a monthly Fleetway Classics. But the problems the Buster special had doesn't bode well for that idea.

By the way, Classics wasn't even due out until tomorrow, both it and Dandy Xtreme were out a day early for some reason.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

They weren't "out a day earlier" in Smith's by any chance were they? Judging by how much that shop is maligned (not unreasonably) on here the staff probably just transferred the comics from box to shelf as soon as they arrived, without checking the dates or anything.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Yes, I bought my copy from WHSmith's. :)

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

The comics don't have an on-sale date on the cover. Staff presumably receive the boxes and put them out - and quite right too. They don't have time to worry about whether they're due on-sale.

MikeC

Post by MikeC »

They do have an on-sale date on the cover. And staff are paid to do their jobs properly. Whether they or the company care about that is a totally different matter!

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Peter Gray wrote:Classics from the DC Thomson comics!!

I think this is a great move.love seeing the many different comics from DC Thomson like e.g Scoop cartoons..
I haven't seen this month's issue as my sub ran out. (Sadly it used to often get damaged or lost in transit anyway.) Have they changed the format or title of the comic?

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Yes the cover is different it no longer says the comics titles on the cover...hence my topic title..makes sense has Victor..Hotspur..Hornet..Scoop comics are also used these days....in the place of the comic titles are comic character names like Tiny, Figaro, L Cars, Puss and Boots, Greedy Pigg, Minnie in the red banner

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

MikeC wrote:They do have an on-sale date on the cover. And staff are paid to do their jobs properly. Whether they or the company care about that is a totally different matter!
*looks at the cover* No, it doesn't.

You will find that if distributors send out magazines, they get put on display as soon as possible, not least because the newsagent up the street will probably be using the same distributors and they can't afford to be behind. The shops probably have enough hassle with keeping embargoed books in the stockroom until their release date without having to think "oh hang on, is this comic or magazine due out today? Should we hold it over until tomorrow?" as they go through the boxes that have been delivered that morning.

MikeC

Post by MikeC »

But not having the time or inclination to do your job counts as not doing it properly. All publications come with on- and off-sale dates supplied by the distributor on delivery notes which should be followed correctly to ensure publications are on sale at the right time. I know because I had to do it in Sainsbury's for a bit!

That's all. :)

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Another new comic for Classics....Buddy's General Jumbo which was nice to see..who was the artist?

Also loved the 1957 comic pages..hope they do more features like this.loved the early Bash street, Little Plum, Mickey the monkey, Biffo and Roger..also Eric Roberts Hy Jinks.loved all of it..

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

That General Jumbo strip was wrongly identified. Classic Beano? The Beano didn't have any adventure strips whatsoever in 1981. The original Buddy comic made a goof too. Jumbo's first name should be Alfie, not Jimmy. Interesting that in this strip, he already knew Carter because he was his paperboy, whereas in the Beano version of the origin, they first met during the first story.

Why did Bash Street and Minnie's 1957 strips have to get new computer text headers? The grayscale they used for the Biffo strip should be used more often on originally colour stories I think.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

...Mind you, stories from girls' comics are still missing!

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

It might happen..Buddy comic is new..

Also glad Roger the dodger wasn't changed the explaination at the top was fine enough.hope this is used again so we can see Dennis the Menace..Beryl..Minnie which are normally missed out due to the slipper being used...

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

I'll check Classics and let you know who the General Jumbo artist was Peter. Most likely candidate would be Sandy Calder.