I. Spy - the `years of decline, Sparky & Champ

Formerly known as Classics from the Comics, this forum covers all of DCT's retired titles, like Beezer, Topper, Victor, Nutty and Sparky!

Moderator: AndyB

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Re: I. Spy - the `years of decline, Sparky & Champ

Post by steelclaw »

Digifiend wrote:So the Sparky pull-out started a week BEFORE the first merged issue then.
Yes it seems so and I nearly bought it on ebay for £2.99, but I would really have liked the Topper it was in as well.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Digifiend wrote:So the Sparky pull-out started a week BEFORE the first merged issue then.
If memory serves me right, Sparky was published on Saturdays then, and Topper was published on Wednesday. Therefore although they'd both feature the same cover date (the following Saturday) Sparky would be in the shops a few days before Topper.

My guess is, if this IS a "special" pull-out (and not the first normal pull-out of the merged issues) it was just so there wasn't a week-and-a-half gap between the final Sparky and the first merged issue.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

I didn't know about that one! You do get good info on here!
A Face unclouded by thought.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

The final issue of Sparky and the first issue of Topper & Sparky shared the same cover date i.e 16th July 1977 so the pull-out above appears in the first issue of the combined titles and wasn't a preview of any sort. In fact the final issue of Topper Fun (as the Topper had been titled since 1975 up until the merger with Sparky) had included its own pull-out section for the months previous to the merger featuring old Topper characters from the past.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Ah! `Toxteth O` Grady` has updated me too on those! Yes! I suppose you can get a bit confused!
A Face unclouded by thought.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

It doesn't help that the day of the week the comics came out on doesn't always match what's printed on the cover.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

The person on ebay was wrong what he said then.

The Sparky special was it the only one free in Topper? or did they have a Sparky insert everyweek, and were they called Special?

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

It was there until they removed the Sparky name from the cover I believe.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

steelclaw wrote:The person on ebay was wrong what he said then.

The Sparky special was it the only one free in Topper? or did they have a Sparky insert everyweek, and were they called Special?
I think the person on ebay was just trying to 'big up' their item for sale. This insert was only the first of several hundred that appeared in the Topper's middle pages titled 'The Sparky Special'.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

My memories only stretch back to the late 1970s, but to the best of my knowledge, the tabloid comics made a point of having an A4 pullout. Beezer had it for Plug and Topper had it for Sparky until both went A4.

I'm too young to remember whether Buzz and Sparky also had this!