Sparky No 1

Formerly known as Classics from the Comics, this forum covers all of DCT's retired titles, like Beezer, Topper, Victor, Nutty and Sparky!

Moderator: AndyB

Kashgar
Guru

Sparky No 1

Post by Kashgar »

In honour of Al's recent purchase here is a rundown of the contents of Sparky No 1 dated 23rd Jan 1965. (I've got the first issue in front of me but my notes on same have gone walkabout so bear with the odd lapse in detail re artists)

Pg2) Joe Bann and his big Banjo - Bob Webster
Pg3) Keyhole Kate - George Drysdale
Pgs4/5) The Young Castaways - Tony Speer
Pg6) Jeff ye Jolly Jester - Bob Webster
Pg7) Hockey Hannah - Andy Tew
Pgs8/9) Wee Tusky - Jack Monk
Pg10) Hungry Horace - George Drysdale
Pg11) Ad for Big Bang free gift in No 2 and ad for upcoming readers letters page.
Pgs12/13) Dreamy Dave and Dozy Dorah - Pam Chapeau
Pg14) Minnie Ha-Ha - French reprint (I don't think the artist's name was ever discovered)
Pg15) Sparky's Puzzles
Pgs16/17)The Kidnapped Kidds - Dave Ogilvie
Pgs 18-20) The Palace of Secrets (text story) - Artist was a guy named Rawlins but
I can't remember his first name offhand.
Pg20) Nosey Parker- Bill Hill
Pg21) Flubberface -Bob Webster
Pg22) Freddy the Fearless Fly - Albert Holroyd
Pg23) Dick Turpentine (R - Magic) - Basil Blackaller
Pg23) Stone-Age - Steve (R - Magic) - Robert MacGillivray
Pg23) Hairy Dan - (R - Beano) - Basil Blackaller
Pg24) Sparky - Ron Spencer

Hope you enjoy your purchase Al.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Re: Sparky No 1

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I think I'm right in saying you own every copy of 'SPARKY', kashgar......I think Alan only has one more issue to get to make up a 'full house', in my case I have about 400 odd out of the 625 issues. [I've never actually counted them] . I doubt if there are many people anywhere with a full set of this comic, so congratulations to the both of you.

Alan has no scanner, but will hopefully be sending me good photocopies, so hopefully we can have an in-depth look at the contents.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Kashgar wrote:Pgs 18-20) The Palace of Secrets (text story) - Artist was a guy named Rawlins but
I can't remember his first name offhand.
Ted?
Artists were told at one-point to draw in a style similar to Watkins,but there are other artists who display similar styles to,say,Ted Rawlings,making it difficult to tell one from the other.Rawlings was the artist on “THE HAMMER MAN” another Medieval strip full of adventure but with tongue firmly planted in cheek. Former blacksmith Baron Chell Puddock [aka:“THE HAMMER MAN” a real beefcake character] and his side-kick the spry Sir Jack Jinks,first saw print in the VICTOR between 1973-1985,though I’d swear the strip was a lot earlier than that! On their wanderings the duo journeyed to Castle Ratsburg were,er,Count Krakula was up to no good with the Ogre of Drakenstein!Again,this is the only Rawlings strip I can find though he may well have done far more.
http://www.comicbitsonline.com/2007/08/14/dct-heroes/

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I just noticed...there's no MOONSTERS in issue one. All this time, I was looking forwards to the first appearance [I've seen their issue two story].

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Sparky was the cover star but there was no strip on number 1's cover so he got demoted to the back cover that week, causing The Moonsters to be held back to issue 2.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

'Sparky' Rawlins (this is the correct spelling) wasn't either Ted or Leo Rawlings Digi. They I would have remembered.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Kashgar wrote:'Sparky' Rawlins (this is the correct spelling) wasn't either Ted or Leo Rawlings Digi. They I would have remembered.
'Sparky' Rawlins has a nice ring to it. I think you should just call him that from now on. :)
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Personally I'm quite partial to Easy Rawlins, the out-of-work, black war veteran hero of Walter Mosley's 1990 novel Devil In A Blue Dress. He's sparky as well. :D

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Yes! I'll be sending some colour & B/W copies to Rab next week! Interesting in the `Sparky` character on back page of No 1 is that for the only time; his speech is that sort of `cod` blackman rubbish that was in 1930s-40s comics! e.g `Am` instead of `Is` Thankfully, this awful phrasing ended at issue 1.

My copy is quite superb with the gift "Flying Snorter" in very good condition!

I have done a `history` of the comic-"The Sparky File" on word! Anyone wanting a free attatchment, just contact me at purple70883@yahoo.co.uk
A Face unclouded by thought.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

I like the covers.

I think I might start collecting all Sparky Comics.
How long do you think it will take me to collect them all?

Captain Storm

Post by Captain Storm »

Interesting to note the steady price increase during 1974 from 2 1/2p to 3p and then 4p all in as many months! Now that's inflation :lol: Great to see Thingummyblob on the cover.One of my favs along with Some Mummies of course,

The Cap.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I appreciate your interest, Steelclaw; this comic changed beyond recognition between it's 12-year run [1965-77]. Alan has the entire run, [less one issue, I think] which he amassed since early 2009.....I think! Bet he spent a pretty penny, though...........He will fill in the details.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Very true, when I got a copy of the 1967 annual, I was surprised by how different it was from the 1970s ones. It's barely recognisable as the same publication. A bit like a 1940s Beano compared to the modern one I suppose.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Actually-I am a few short! I still need Nos 8, 12 & 21 from 1965. Nos 55, 68, 78, 79, 80 from 1966. Nos 122, 126, 129 and 154 from 1967, and No 408 from 1972. As well, I have a few issues with just 12 or 16 pages, these are = Nos 58, 70, 76 & 94 all from 1966. So; some way to go yet!

I noticed Steel put up a photo of the `Sparky Flyer` 1969 that Phil-Comics has on E.Bay! I sold off some spare early Genesis LPs to raise funds to make a big bid on that flyer! "Trespass & Nursery Cryme" on the `Pink Scroll` label, £50 & £60 quid each- plus some spare Beatles singles! I love collecting the Sparky Flyers! I have the one for Sparky No 1. The one for Sparky 35 (First of the `Free Gift overhauls`) and for Sparky 140 (The big 1967 changes) Hope I wim 1969!

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Steel! You can certainly get the 1973 to 1977 issues pretty easily! Tony Ingram has quite a lot on E.Bay just now! The 1969 to 1972 are drying up a bit, but should still be aviliable in quantity! the 26 Pigs site still has quite a lot for sale at set prices!

The 1960s issues are tougher especially 1966! That year rarely throws up issues! I am bidding on three from 1966-issues 52, 54, & 70 just now! I need a better 54 and my 70 only has 12 pages! Same seller has put up over 30 1967 issues up though! There is a fellow on E.Bay called Mon - Ell from Canada who seems to be targetting every UK comic he can just now-so you may get into a bidding war with him!

Good hunting!