Victor - True Stories of Men at War

Formerly known as Classics from the Comics, this forum covers all of DCT's retired titles, like Beezer, Topper, Victor, Nutty and Sparky!

Moderator: AndyB

Garen

Post by Garen »

In 'Victor' there was a series called 'True Stories of Men at War'.

I am especially interested in finding out which issue the story of General Hector MacDonald was told in - if anybody knows?

I was more of a 'Battle' reader!

Many thanks!

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Garen,
was this one of the cover stories or was it one of the internal stories that were run on an occasional basis?
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Garen

Post by Garen »

I believe it was the cover story - but not sure if this was always the case.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Re: Victor - True Stories of Men at War

Post by colcool007 »

Garen wrote:I believe it was the cover story - but not sure if this was always the case.
The cover stories were one of the things that attracted me to the Victor. The true story cover was a feature of the Victor until issue 1400. I can help you cut down the issues that it did not appear in if that helps as I have my database with 400 plus of the stories synopsized! :lol:

Garen

Post by Garen »

That's very good of you colcool - but sounds a lot of work that way round! Perhaps I'll just keep an eye on ebay and see what turns up...

If anyone can make a positive issue identification, that'd be fab.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Re: Victor - True Stories of Men at War

Post by colcool007 »

Garen wrote:In 'Victor' there was a series called 'True Stories of Men at War'.

I am especially interested in finding out which issue the story of General Hector MacDonald was told in - if anybody knows?

I was more of a 'Battle' reader!

Many thanks!
Garen, the Fighting Mac story was used as a three pager in one of the later Victor Annuals where he was given the choice of recommended for the VC or being commissioned. Will get the year for you when I get back next week.

If it was used as a cover story, then the Hornet is the best place to look as it was an exceptionally rare thing for the Victor cover stories to ever be anything other than WW1 or WW2. Most of the Hornet cover stories deal with the lesser covered conflicts of the 19th and 20th Century, plus a few dealt with the bravery of civilians such as Lighthouse keepers, RNLI, Firemen and ordinary people in extraordinary situations. In fact, I have only found one Victor so far that doesn't deal with either of the two world wars and that was a story about the Russian revolution in 1919!

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Quick update. Forgot to look at Annuals. :oops: But can definitely confirm that I have only two Victor cover stories that dealt with conflicts outside of the two World Wars and both of them deal with conflicts that were during the period from the Armistice up to the declaration of war.