Bimbo comic

Formerly known as Classics from the Comics, this forum covers all of DCT's retired titles, like Beezer, Topper, Victor, Nutty and Sparky!

Moderator: AndyB

Peter Gray

Re: Bimbo comic

Post by Peter Gray »

Yes I remember them from the late 70's...Playhour (loved the Mr Men!)...Pippin...and 80's Buttons...got the first issue with the yellow smiley button..had Play school in it...
Also this year bought my first Treasure comic..
kids are not brought up on comics at a very young age these days..sets you up for loving comics and reading for later..

Raven

Post by Raven »

Peter Gray wrote:Yes I remember them from the late 70's...Playhour (loved the Mr Men!)...Pippin...and 80's Buttons...got the first issue with the yellow smiley button..had Play school in it...
Also this year bought my first Treasure comic..
kids are not brought up on comics at a very young age these days..sets you up for loving comics and reading for later..

Late Sixties to mid Seventies Jack and Jill and Playhour (with the Magic Roundabout covers) are nice.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Who drew this..? Been enjoying this..

Two blog posts are up to see on Bimbo.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I've just posted some Watkins' Tom Thumbs in the artists section, (I thought this forum was mainly about Bill Ritchie, my appy polly logs). The thing is that my posts are from Little Star which seemed to have almost identical content to Bimbo. Baby Crockett and Pip The Penguin strip being the main ones. Here are some Little Star covers:

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

they are great covers...I'll use these for a blog post...thanks for showing these images..other than Baby and Pip is there anyother Bill Ritchies work in the comic Little Star.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Negative, Captain. The Baby Crockett strips are two pages in full colour so very nice to look at. He must have liked BC to draw the character for three different comics each week.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

The reason that Bimbo and Little Star are remarkably similar is that Bimbo had it's title changed to Little Star in the early 1970's with numbering once again beginning from No 1 to kind of disguise the fact. Presumably the 'Page 3' connotation was a factor by then.

Raven

Post by Raven »

Kashgar wrote: Presumably the 'Page 3' connotation was a factor by then.

And yet Bimbo annuals continued through the Eighties at least.

So for a number of years, Bimbo and Little Star annuals must have been released side by side. Did they feature the same characters if they were basically the same comic?

Bimbo Annuals featured the little penguin on the cover, and Little Star featured Baby Crockett on the cover on a few I recall.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

I've just done a post on Ron Spencers involvement in Bimbo thanks to Kashgar for the info and spark of the idea.

http://petergraycartoonsandcomics.blogs ... w-for.html

wasn't sure if Ron drew this or not so left it off the post?

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Contrast Wendy's nose with Peter of Peter's Pocket Grandpa. It's Ron.