Not just any old East London pie and mash shop

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Phoenix
Guru

Re: Not just any old East London pie and mash shop

Post by Phoenix »

stevezodiac wrote:Made by Kershaws of Southport although the pies are made by J C Rook & Sons of Kent.
London in thrall to the regions. Who'd have thought it?

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

From local paper. Locals refer to Southwark Park Road as "The Blue" due to the Blue Anchor pub being there.

The Moby Dick pub is across the road from me and the other side of Greenland Dock but I've never been in the establishment.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Walking back down Deptford High Street yesterday I was saddened to see a sign in Goddards pie and mash shop saying it will be closing down in October. It's been there since 1890 and I've been a customer since the 1960s. Fortunately there is a Manzes almost directly opposite so we won't go without our traditional fare.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

On Thursday I went to Orpington to meet a childhood friend. I've known him for sixty years as he was born a few doors from me. We were born at home in those days. I still remember him knocking on my door in 1965 and showing me TV Century 21 and starting my comic collecting career. We spent the sixties scouring the streets looking for comics. He stopped collecting in the seventies but I met his wife and kids on Thursday and am pleased to say they are comic fans and especially silver age. Great to hear a youngster talking about Ditko and Kirby. He and I walked around Orpington and we had pie and mash in the high street of which he said he is an expert. We also went to Kent comics where he bought some silver age Marvels for his son. It gets better because he also takes his kids to Millwall! A really enjoyable day.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I used to drink with this bloke. I saw his wife in Tescos last week and she told me the sad news.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I went to Deptford High Street and found the pie and mash shop was trading again albeit take-away only through the window. Had pie, mash and liquor for tea for the first time in weeks. Cold turkey over.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

I wouldn't have thought, Steve, that pie, mash, and liquor covered with cold turkey would have been particularly tasty!!!!! Still, as my dad used to say, "There's no accounting for taste".

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I had a chat with the owner George Manze last Saturday and said I remembered his mum serving me in the late sixties/early seventies. He said she's still with us! Must be nearly ninety. The shop has been there for 120 years.

(Cold turkey is reserved for boxing day with mash and Haywards mustard pickle).

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

In Dempsey and Makepiece on Forces TV last night they staked out Bunters Pie and Mash shop. I don't remember it but a friend tells me it was in Albion Street just down the road from here and he ate in there once. It had Billy Bunter images on the wall.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MYagXWiHQQdTiYn8A

jim244

Post by jim244 »

As a Londoner and a Chef;I firstly congratulate everyone here for loving such traditional London grub.
The liquor was previously based on eel stock reduction;nowadays it is a parsley sauce but some Chefs add fish stock to replicate the taste of the original.
My personal preference is a deeply reduced Guinness and Bovril gravy.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Manzes Deptford High Street is my eel and pie house of choice, been a customer since the 1960s and it's the only one that doesn't put gravy in the pies. Sadly Goddards across the road closed a few years ago but I went in there on the final day for double pie and mash.

jim244

Post by jim244 »

I think Pukka Pies are the best shop bought ones these days.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

My local Manzes closes next year. I'll have to go to Goddards in nearby Greenwich for my fix. A privilege for the Southwark Borough newspaper to have a Lewisham Borough story on the cover.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cvzih1YGEJ9D3ugF6

jim244

Post by jim244 »

stevezodiac wrote:
14 Mar 2024, 13:59
My local Manzes closes next year. I'll have to go to Goddards in nearby Greenwich for my fix. A privilege for the Southwark Borough newspaper to have a Lewisham Borough story on the cover.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cvzih1YGEJ9D3ugF6
Nice to see them make the paper.
Have to be honest,as outer London Kingstonian,got no pie and mash restaurants here.
Wish there was.
A dying breed that I would love to see a resurrection of.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

There's a Manzes in Sutton.