Retro TV

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Kashgar
Guru

Re: Retro TV

Post by Kashgar »

Nice pic of Geoffrey Bayldon as Catweazle. He also played the Crow Man in Worzel Gummidge of course.
Thinking of kids' drama shows I'd love to see the first series of 'The Flaxton Boys' again, the one in which they search for treasure using a code implanted in Thomas Grey's 'Elegy written in a Country Churchyard'.

Niblet

Post by Niblet »

A couple of years back I saw an offer on the entire run of 'Bless This House', the 1970s sitcom. I never watched it when it was on originally, but thought that anything with Sid James in must be good, so I bought all the series. Big mistake! I'd had enough by the end of the first volume.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

I'm sure this was a show I watched as a kid that I've wondered what it was for years after.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Niblet wrote:A couple of years back I saw an offer on the entire run of 'Bless This House', the 1970s sitcom. I never watched it when it was on originally, but thought that anything with Sid James in must be good, so I bought all the series. Big mistake! I'd had enough by the end of the first volume.
As a kid in the 70's, I thought this show was fantastic, but I caught an episode on UK Gold a few years ago and couldn't stop cringing. However, Sally Geeson did remind why I was such a big fan...Sigh.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Raven have you played your 'Look Back' DVD yet?

Just watched the 'Paper Lads'(1977) saw a few comics on the shelf, Beezer/Action/Look-in.

Raven

Post by Raven »

Yes, it's great! 'Raven' (no relation) is especially good - have you seen that yet?

Some surprising violence for a kids' show in that Paper Lads, isn't there? Looking out for the comics of 1977 is, of course, one of the extra treats in that show!

Some of You must Be Joking is quite risque, isn't it? Especially the joke about the braille Playboy. And how about the young Gary Kemp and Phil Daniels singing a protest song?

Though I never saw the series when it first went out or was repeated, I have the 1971 Look-In with the Jamie photo cover and feature. The first episode is quite nice.

Overall, this is one of the best DVDs I've had in ages.

I also got Volume One, which features the midday shows for tots. Some good bizarre stuff there.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

I think it's absolutely brilliant I love it so many happy memories from around that time, they knew how to make kids programmes in the 1970's that's for sure.

Love 'Ace of wands'

I didn't know wheaver to laugh or cry while watching 'You must be Joking'
Pauline's Quirkes was much better.
It just so happens I picked up 'Flintlock' album 'On the way' today for £1.

Black beauty was a lot better then Follyfoot.

Yes I was surprised at the violence in 'The Paper Lads'

I'm looking forward to watching 'Magpie' and 'Get it together' tomorrow.

I'm not sure I will get Vol 1. but I really hope they do another DVD like Vol 2.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

I didn't remember 'Tightrope'
Didn't think much of the xmas Magpie or Robots Robots.
Slade were great on 'Get it together' :D

Raven

Post by Raven »

Have you watched the 'Raven' opener? If you like the weird 70s fantasy serials it really is one of the best of its kind.

The Nobody's House episode is a bit slower than the series usually was because it introduces the concept but that's a nice one, too. And the Black Beauty is very good.

I have the Robert's Robots Series One DVD and there is a lot of amusing stuff on it, but I don't think that episode's one of the best. But you've got to like those opening titles and that theme.

I thought the Tightrope was quite good.

I've still to watch the Get It Together.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Yes 'Raven' was great I didn't realise Phill Daniels was so popular before the films 'Scum' and 'Quadrophenia' I did watch one or two of 'Ravens' Originally,
but I missed quite a few programmes from that time because we had Southern TV as well as Thames(All of 4 channels)On Southern TV at 5.10pm was Crossroads which was 6 months ahead of Thames at the time, my Mum always wanted to watch it and I'm sure Thames was showing alot of these programmes at the time.

Tightrope being in B&W I thought it would have been made before 1972 was OK.

Raven

Post by Raven »

steelclaw wrote:Yes 'Raven' was great I didn't realise Phill Daniels was so popular before the films 'Scum' and 'Quadrophenia' I did watch one or two of 'Ravens' Originally,
but I missed quite a few programmes from that time because we had Southern TV as well as Thames(All of 4 channels)On Southern TV at 5.10pm was Crossroads which was 6 months ahead of Thames at the time, my Mum always wanted to watch it and I'm sure Thames was showing alot of these programmes at the time.

Tightrope being in B&W I thought it would have been made before 1972 was OK.

You didn't miss too much at 5.10, Steely (my alternative theory is that you were too busy reading comics when they were on) - almost all these shows were fully networked and ran roughly from around 4.20-5.15 everywhere, then it was the regional half hour opt-out slot where you had Crossroads. A bit different in the very early 70s (Tightrope period/1972-ish) as Thames did show a few programmes, including Magpie, at 5.20pm back then (though so did Southern. Can you tell I've been checking my Look-Ins?).

Tightrope was actually made in colour. It's just that the show now only exists as those poor quality black and white telerecordings (i.e. taped off the TV). It seems the original high quality colour videotape masters were wiped.

I remember Raven well from first time round, too. Alas, at least one episode - the last, I think - is missing (lost or wiped) making a full release unlikely. But I hope it turns up.

Phil Daniels also co-stars in Four Idle Hands on the DVD, of course, and I also remember him starring in a Thames kids' series The Molly-Wopsies around the same time. I flicked through his new autobiography the other day and he mentions the shows.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Was Idle hands a one off or a series?

I must have spent a lot of time doing football pratise after school :) or going shopping for me mum.

I used like 'The Kids From 47a'

Raven

Post by Raven »

steelclaw wrote:Was Idle hands a one off or a series?

A full series - it's out on DVD on June 7th.

I used to like The Kids From 47A, too. Hopefully that'll come out at some point. Another I remember, Boy Dominic, a historical ITV kids drama serial that went out on Sunday afternoons, is out tomorrow.

grumpy old man

Post by grumpy old man »

Does anyone else have a soft spot for all those dubbed euro serials like The Flashing Blade, Dessert Crusader, Robinson Crusoe etc. If the plot got boring you could always laugh along with the lack of lip-synch to the dialogue.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

grumpy old man wrote:Does anyone else have a soft spot for all those dubbed euro serials like The Flashing Blade, Dessert Crusader, Robinson Crusoe etc. If the plot got boring you could always laugh along with the lack of lip-synch to the dialogue.
The Singing Ringing Tree was a classic.

Raven I do remember watching Boy Dominic on those lazy sunday afternoons just before our sunday tea of Salad I perfered Heinz Tomato Soup though.