Retro TV

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

ISPYSHHHGUY

Re: Retro TV

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

You are quite right, Paw:

----I remember Michael Miles and Take your Pick---'open the box...take the money!'

The technology was primitive then but it was a marvel at the time.

I only watch retro TV now on DVD: I despair of today's output----however I saw USA TV recently and I reckon ours is better!

Not that that says much.....

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

We do watch some modern British tv. We have recorded the first part of Wolf Hall and having read the book, we are curious to see how it has been adapted. But Horror chanel shows old Doctor Who and last night I had to watch the first Sarah Jane Smith story with Lynx the Sontaran. Clunky in places and just a touch? of over acting :roll: but highly entertaining. Although a huge Sarah Jane fan, even I have to admit that she got better as time went on. But for all that, she started off well enough and slowly became quite excellent, imo.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

I've been watching Department S on youtube, where there are a number of episodes and last night I noticed listings for Adam Adamant and The Champions. Note to Phil, this is not a team-up but 2 very different shows :D :D
As we have a newish smart tv, we can watch youtube shows on the tv set. Much comfier than sitting in front of a computer screen.

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

These days I hardly ever watch anything broadcast on TV that was made recently - tends to be all much older stuff. My Tv week this week has been:

The High Chaparal (True Ent Channel) - I've never been into Westerns and struggle to get into just about anything American - but this show has grown on me; hadn't realised it was this good. (I've tried down the years, but I just cannot ever get into Star Trek - in any form).

One western I wish they would repeat/put on DVD i've always wanted to see, but never have The Wild Wild West where the modern evils enter the West.

Other shows in week: The Avengers (true Ent) each weekday night.

Top Of The Pops 1980 (BBC4) - a great year for music nad chance to get a feel of time I was too young in 1980 to notice (and laugh at some naff elements of show).

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Went to Greenwich yesterday and in a charity shop I picked up two Doctor Who dvds for £5 each: Image of the Fendhal (Tom Baker) and The Seeds of Death (Patrick Troughton).

greatchi

Post by greatchi »

Hi

I too am a Dr Who watcher

I have seen every surviving episode incluing the ones where there is just commentary. I also have them all

I do not watch much new TV as its really of no interest. They dont make em' like they used to

I also collect pre 1970 movies and watch them regularly, especially the ones in the 30's. I have a collection of 12,000 now

Chi

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Wow!!! 12 thousand!

I agree the 30s era gave us some great stuff at the pictures.

greatchi

Post by greatchi »

Watched some of Atom Man vs. Superman (1950) today

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Some of us even saw all the Doctor Who episodes that HAVEN'T survived Chi! :)

(...Though I must admit I didn't bother with some of the later incarnations)

greatchi

Post by greatchi »

Nostalgia has set in

Today its going to be 'Z' Cars :)

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

I have fond memories of "Fury From the Deep" hope it may surface one day!
A Face unclouded by thought.

Raven

Post by Raven »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote: I agree the 30s era gave us some great stuff at the pictures.
Network are just announcing a spate of '30s releases that look like they might contain some gems, e.g.:

http://networkonair.com/shop/2146-briti ... 29041.html

http://networkonair.com/shop/2171-briti ... 32447.html

http://networkonair.com/shop/2147-aldwy ... 29140.html

http://networkonair.com/shop/2136-jessi ... 28549.html

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Yes Network provide many worthy gems for us Raven---thanks for the links.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Greatchi. Have you ever seen the 1935 film `Peter Ibbotson` ? It is one of the most beautiful film I ever saw! The two principal characters share each others dreams throughout their lives! It is just so beautiful! One of the loveliest films of all time for me!
A Face unclouded by thought.

greatchi

Post by greatchi »

alanultron5 wrote:Greatchi. Have you ever seen the 1935 film `Peter Ibbotson` ? It is one of the most beautiful film I ever saw! The two principal characters share each others dreams throughout their lives! It is just so beautiful! One of the loveliest films of all time for me!
I think I have a copy, will give a butchers this weekend

Chi