Retro TV

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

alanultron5

Re: Retro TV

Post by alanultron5 »

Its a fantastic film in my opinion- one of the best I ever saw! I have the 1933 "Alice in Wonderland" featuring Gary Cooper, Cary Grant and W.C Fields! Just lovely surrealism! I also have "The Smiling Luitenant" a 1931 rarity starring Charles Boyer, Miriam Hopkins and Claudette Colbert- lovely period piece!
A Face unclouded by thought.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Wires crossed! Maurice Chevalier stars in "The Smiling Luitenant" not Charles Boyer!

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Pray for my soul folks! been watching-and (Lord help me!) 1960s repeats of "Crossroads" on Big Centre TV channel 8. Am I doomed?

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I rescanned my digital tv this morning, as i do periodically, and noticed the Horror Channel starts on freeview tomorrow - Friday the 13th.

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

Thanks for the infos: I retuned by box:

Alas I couldn't receive Big TV Centre on Channel 8: as my region picks up a local Baytree Liverpool station instead; which is an irrelevant station if like me you're based in Bolton (reminds me: must visit Liverpool sometime - see what I can find on the annuals front...)

Will confess to having a couple of bargain "Best Of Crossroads" DVDs though (shouldn't say that!?). Good for a laugh/social history.

Have got the Horror channel though, which is great - watched "The Incredible Hulk" (very different to actual comic version) and a Tom Baker "Doctor WHo" - "the Stones OF Blood". Noticed "The Ark In Space" will be shown at weekend in full - will record.

I also recently got "The Night Gallery" on DVD for a bargain.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I wish you hadn't mentioned Bolton.

Millwall heading for league 1.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Yes Horror Chanel is good for Who.
Recently I bought a dvd of the '60's tv series, It's Dark Outside, with William Mervyn as Inspector Rose and Keith Baron as his sergeant. Some other well known faces as guest stars. Started watching and it's quite entertaining. A couple of the stories are vaguely familiar and I'm sure I saw the odd episode when originally transmitted. A lot ofmthese old tv shows make for nostalgic but enjoyable entertainment.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

DavidKW wrote:Thanks for the infos: I retuned by box:

Alas I couldn't receive Big TV Centre on Channel 8: as my region picks up a local Baytree Liverpool station instead; which is an irrelevant station if like me you're based in Bolton (reminds me: must visit Liverpool sometime - see what I can find on the annuals front...)
I can't receive Big Centre TV either, and I live in the Midlands. I think its broadcast range must be quite small. Perhaps it doesn't reach as far as Warwickshire.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Lew it only covers the `Black Country` and Coventry. Signal not that strong as it pixilates occasionally! It has shown a lot more early Crossroads that were released on DVD! I was told that some of these were via the late Zephiyira Gladstone- who played the part of Vera Downend in early 70s who had recorded them! There were more late 60s B/W one's than Wikepedia says exist!!)

The channel also shows classic 1960-70s adverts and I hope maybe any of the "Sparky" tv ads might be there! Also screened are archive episodes of "Out of Town" the rural based programme hosted by Jack Hargreaves -he of "How" fame! These werre originally made by Southern TV but Big centre acquired rights to them!

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

On another subject! The "Avengers" repeats on Channel 61 I notice that not only that they are screened out of sequence -but some have edits for `violence` both the Diana Rigg "Murdersville" and Thorson "Look Stop Me . . . " had shots of killing by Spear and Knife edited! I don't think all of the colour Diana Rigg one's were screened as I certainly never saw "The Fear Merchants! I think many of the Linda Thorson one's will go unscreened e.g "Game" and "It's All Done by Mirrors" should have followed "The Forget-Me- Knot"

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

alanultron5 wrote:Lew it only covers the `Black Country` and Coventry. Signal not that strong as it pixilates occasionally! It has shown a lot more early Crossroads that were released on DVD! I was told that some of these were via the late Zephiyira Gladstone- who played the part of Vera Downend in early 70s who had recorded them! There were more late 60s B/W one's than Wikepedia says exist!!)

The channel also shows classic 1960-70s adverts and I hope maybe any of the "Sparky" tv ads might be there! Also screened are archive episodes of "Out of Town" the rural based programme hosted by Jack Hargreaves -he of "How" fame! These werre originally made by Southern TV but Big centre acquired rights to them!
Thanks Alan. I'm just outside that area so that explains it.

It would be great if some old TV ads for comics turned up. They're out there somewhere. An ad for Sparky was shown on a compilation of TV ads several years ago. (It was a three part BBC series that just showed end to end classic adverts.) Unfortunately I heard they didn't have clearance to show all of them so the programme has never been repeated.

If I recall correctly the Sparky TV ad showed a few kids playing a prank on a tramp, using the free gift.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Lew ! I actually do know the fellows behind BCTV Chris Perry and Simon Coward! They are in the `Kaleidoscope` archive TV group. Simon compiles the archive ads section! I have mailed the station asking if Simon has unearthed any comic related `ads` i'm awaiting a reply (I only mailed them this morning) I am busy with looking after my Mom when the ads show is on- though I have caught some of it! Some really great archive ads- but i've not come across any for comic free gift promotions yet! I'll keep you updated if -hopefully- I get a reply!

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

alanultron5 wrote:Lew ! I actually do know the fellows behind BCTV Chris Perry and Simon Coward! They are in the `Kaleidoscope` archive TV group. Simon compiles the archive ads section! I have mailed the station asking if Simon has unearthed any comic related `ads` i'm awaiting a reply (I only mailed them this morning) I am busy with looking after my Mom when the ads show is on- though I have caught some of it! Some really great archive ads- but i've not come across any for comic free gift promotions yet! I'll keep you updated if -hopefully- I get a reply!

Thanks. I haven't seen Simon for years and we've lost touch unfortunately. Must give him a call sometime.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

I havn't seen him for some time Lew. I don't get about much (Simon lives in Dudley about 7 miles from me) I was quite ill for a time and these days since I got my health back- thankfully! I care for my Mom, so a lot of my time taken up with that! I e.mailed him recently-alas no reply yet though.

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

The thing about those Thorson repeats is that True Ent are showing them in order of when they were produced from "Forget Me Not" onwards.

So they started from "Invasion Of the Earthmen" was this was the most salvaged from dire set of 3 with blonde wigged Tara. Then it was all episodes where Thorson wore a brunette wig (as her hair fell out when they tried to bleach it blonde) - that was her best hairstyle.
These also had Philip Levene on writing team - he left after clashes with head writer/producer Brian Clemens on show's direction thus unbalancing a good writing team.

They are now onto ones with Thorson's own hair grown back and now also have Mother added to the team - who did not belong.
Also now had daleks creator Terry Nation and Jeremy Burnham on team - good writers but neither suitable for Avengers (one of Burnham's writing highs was kids' drama series Break Point. deserves a DVD release).