Spurs to finish in the top four.

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

stevezodiac

Re: Spurs to finish in the top four.

Post by stevezodiac »

What on earth happened with Man United's second goal this evening? Referee will never hear the last of that one.

chrissmillie

Post by chrissmillie »

Hilarious. Although Gomes is just as to blame. Play to the whistle.
STARSCAPE
http://www.StarscapeComic.co.uk
Classic British reprints and all-new comics

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Nani scored a controversial second goal as Manchester United continued their fine record against Tottenham.
Tottenham keeper Heurelho Gomes rolled the ball out for a free-kick after Nani had clearly handled the ball but the United player had not been penalised.
Nani then struck the ball into an empty net, much to the Spurs players' fury.
:lol: Stupid ref and keeper! The ref needs to go to Specsavers, and the keeper should've waited for the whistle. At least it didn't effect the result. Spurs were already 1-0 down anyway, so United would've still won.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Digifiend wrote:
Nani scored a controversial second goal as Manchester United continued their fine record against Tottenham.
Tottenham keeper Heurelho Gomes rolled the ball out for a free-kick after Nani had clearly handled the ball but the United player had not been penalised.
Nani then struck the ball into an empty net, much to the Spurs players' fury.
:lol: Stupid ref and keeper! The ref needs to go to Specsavers, and the keeper should've waited for the whistle. At least it didn't effect the result. Spurs were already 1-0 down anyway, so United would've still won.
Man u cheats as usuall they always have the ref on their side,
Spurs were just about to equalize.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

I think that referee can expect NPower League football next week.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

These next two posts are mainly for steelclaw. As they say in Spain, la paciencia es una virtud. Nevertheless I hadn't expected him to have to be this patient. Since February 2010 to be precise. I was emptying a couple of drawers in one of my filing cabinets last night in search of the list of ISBN numbers allocated to me when I finally found the ticket for the Spain v Wales World Cup qualifier at the Estadio Bernabeu in 1961. For the benefit of any interested parties among the newer members, especially those who won't wish to go back to the beginning of this thread to get the back story, I was acting as interpreter for the Welsh national football team during their stay in Madrid. The captain, Phil Woosnam of West Ham asked me if I would sell the squad's surplus complimentary tickets outside the stadium on the evening of the match.

As I wasn't short of self-confidence, I agreed, and despite being aware that I just might get arrested, I became a ticket tout. At first people were wary, maybe thinking the tickets were counterfeit, but when they saw the word INVITACION stamped on the tickets, and listened to my explanation that all the money raised would go into the communal pot to cover all the players' expenses on food, drinks, entrance fees for swimming pools, night clubs etc., during the rest of their time in Madrid, they bought with confidence. I lowered the price to 150 pesetas, a pragmatic decision because the transactions could be done entirely in banknotes, and an incentive to the public to take a chance if they were still doubtful, but despite my pointing out to them that the seats were in a wonderful viewing position, it wasn't until I went in myself that I realised just how good.

I went with the squad everywhere for about five days, recommending places, explaining menus, interpreting in conversations etc., but most of the time it was swimming pools and training for the match at the Estadio Metropolitano, Atletico Madrid's old ground that was colloquially referred to as the Manzanares. It was great fun, and most of the guys were a bundle of laughs, especially Mel Hopkins.

The Welsh team that were to draw 1-1 was, as far as I can remember, Jack Kelsey (Arsenal) : Stuart Williams (West Bromwich Albion), Mel Hopkins (Tottenham Hotspur) : Vic Crowe (Aston Villa), either Mel Nurse (Cardiff City) or Mel Charles (Arsenal), Colin Baker (Cardiff City) : Cliff Jones (Tottenham Hotspur) , Phil Woosnam (West Ham United), Ken Leek (Birmingham City), Ivor Allchurch (Newcastle United), Graham Williams (Swansea Town).

Autographs visible on the reverse of the ticket include Colin Baker, Mel Hopkins, Mel Nurse, Phil Woosnam and Ken Leek, and on the other sheet Ivor Allchurch, Jack Kelsey and manager Jimmy Murphy, Matt Busby's second-in-command at Manchester United.
Attachments
SpainWalesticket1.jpg
WalesSpainticket2.jpg
SpainWalesticket3.jpg

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

On the other relevant sheet can be seen the autographs of Graham Williams, Vic Crowe, Mel Charles, Cliff Jones and Stuart Williams.

The photo in the Metropolitano is of Vic Crowe and Mel Charles, the brother of the great John Charles of Leeds United, Juventus and Roma. I did see John play once at Burnden Park where he was marking Nat Lofthouse, and it was a privilege to be there to see that confrontation.

On the other sheet is an autograph that I got at half time at that same match of Vava, the centre-forward for Brazil in their 1958 and 1962 World Cup winning sides. We were inside the Bernabeu at the time, and I even had a chat with him in Portuguese! Mind you, it was one of the components of my degree course.
Attachments
SpainWalesticket4.jpg
SpainWalesticket5.jpg
SpainWalesticket6.jpg