What Radio programs do you listen to and type of music?

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Peter Gray

What Radio programs do you listen to and type of music?

Post by Peter Gray »

I'm a Radio 2 and Radio 7 man..

My taste in music is mostly from the past..probably linked to liking old comics..

I listen and record on dvd to listen again while drawing Sound of the 60's and 70's
recorded about 17 programs now..I can get two program on one dvd..4 hours
also often enjoy
pick of the pops..
BBC 7's Hancock..The Goons..the clitheroe kid..Dads Army..etc..
also now and again listen to Desmond Carrington..
Russell Davis (listening to the new one on IPlayer is a great song about Rosie the riverter..before the famous poster by Rockwell)
..Suzi Quatro..

My Dad tried to ge tme into Jazz and Classical But haven't quite got that taste.unless I know the tune from a cartoon or advert..

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Re: What Radio programs do you listen to and type of music?

Post by steelclaw »

I have to say I don't listen to the radio much these days, The John Peel(RIP) show used to be my favourite throughtout the 1980's, I used to tape them and take them into work wish I had kept them.
But now Radio 2 and XFM when I do listen to it.
My musical taste can be fairly Weird to Middle of the road.
I got well into the DIY bands and punk/New Wave from 1978-82, bands that had cassettes albums only.
The Good Missionaries
ATV
Wire
I could go on for ever.
I like new music as well as old
Today I bought
Gorillaz - Plastic beach new album
and won
Joe Cocker - Cocker Happy on ebay as I am now collection FLY records.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I listen only to speech radio as music stations are pointless - they can't have the same musical taste as you so you have to listen to whatever they play whether you like it or not. I listen to LBC and Radio Five Live as well as Talksport. Where the latter is better than radio Five is that they concerntrate on football whereas 5 Live has t,oo much Rugby, Cricket and Formula 1 all of which I detest. I quite often send texts to the stations (apart from Talksport which charges 60p for each text and they rarely read them out. On the other hand Radio 5 tends to phone you back if your text is of interest (twice in one night a couple of weeks back) and ask you to go on air with your point but i always refuse as I hate talkng on the phone at the best of times let alone with the nation listening. The drive programme at 4pm on Five Live is excellent - really dry humour from Peter Allen. As for music I like anything guitar based but mostly 60s psychedelia such as the Electric Prunes, Chocolate Watch Band, 13th Floor Elevators, Strawberry Alarm Clock and Mother Tucker's Yellow Duck to name a few. Also big fan of punk/new wave and death metal. Have seen a few bands live such as Paradise Lost, My Dying Bride, Monster Magnet and Bolt Thrower. And some 60s bands like the Yardbirds, The Animals, Arthur Lee and Creation.

grumpy old man

Post by grumpy old man »

I’m partial to Radio 7. It’s interesting to revisit the old comedy shows and see how they’ve dated and whether they still work or not. I can’t abide the PC warning before hand though that “The following program reflects values of its time and contains racist, sexist etc material” Maybe it’s me but I would expect anything to reflect the values of its own time and not the current time.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Better to hear them give out such warnings than be so PC as to not broadcast the programme at all.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

That's interesting re Talksport. U105, also owned by UTV, doesn't charge for texts - you only pay your usual rate.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

My radio is on permanently during the waking hours at home, to RADIO 2 and is only switched over when Jonathan Ross comes on on a Saturday...it's not so much JR: it's the guy with him who sits and sniggers at John's every quip I find unbearable.

I pretty much agree with Peter: Sounds of the 60s every Saturday morn is a must, Pick of the Pops, etc.

RADIO 2 today is pretty much what RADIO ONE was like when I was a lad: they seem to have picked up a lot of previously-juvenile Radio one listeners.

Earl

Post by Earl »

I am exclusively a radio 4 man and enjoy their news, political, history, culture and arts coverage. I don’t enjoy their comedy and lighter entertainment stuff apart from the quiz items.

I have never listened to much music all through my life. I don’t mind background music but have never had a passion for it. I own less than 10 CD’s. I do enjoy melancholy music and my favourite artist is Tanita Tikaram. I do enjoy some late 60’s/early 70’s folk stuff like Vashti Bunyan.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

I listen to U105 and Radio 4, with a smattering of Radio 7 and Radio 2, and even occasionally UCB UK (friend of mine is a presenter)

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

What on earth is U105?

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

UTV Radio, 105.8FM in Belfast and Freeview channel 726 throughout Northern Ireland.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U105
http://www.u105.com/

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Must admit that I am a Radio 2 and 4 man, but I am partial to a bit of Smooth FM. About the only good thing about being in the Big Smoke is that you have dozens of radio stations to pick from.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

nottinghamian

Post by nottinghamian »

I'm listening to Radio 3 more and more. Must be getting old.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Generally Radio 4 or BBC 7. I don't like music stations, I rarely listen to music and when I do I like to choose what I'm listening to rather than have someone else do it for me.

I a\am embarrassed to admit that I have in the past few months become addicted to The Archers...

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

No old punks on here then.
A few hippies I think.