Matt Smith as Dr Who

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

tony ingram

Re: Matt Smith as Dr Who

Post by tony ingram »

Lew Stringer wrote:
Steve Henderson wrote:The Army Daleks or 'Ironsides'? Or have I missed something?
Yes, the cover of this week's Radio Times.

I'll say no more, as it does ruin the surprise. :wink:
I don't think anything in Doctor Who can really be a surprise anymore. The media coverage is so extensive now that you've seen everything before it airs...

Steve Henderson

Post by Steve Henderson »

Seen them now, I thought they were just colour changes for an election cover thing. Not 100% sure about the new design, looks like you can collapse the head! Not as rigid and fearsome as the RTD daleks, But I have not seen them in action yet, so I should really spare my judgement for now! Pretty giddy about tonights episode, Its Mark Gattis writing it, He's has wrote some great episode.

grumpy old man

Post by grumpy old man »

Hmm call me an old cynic here but…a new look Dalek, different colours and names/classes. I don’t suppose a new range of action figures is on the horizon by any chance is it?

PaulTwist

Post by PaulTwist »

grumpy old man wrote:Hmm call me an old cynic here but…a new look Dalek, different colours and names/classes. I don’t suppose a new range of action figures is on the horizon by any chance is it?
Funny you should say that...

http://www.private-eye.co.uk/sections.p ... issue=1260

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

grumpy old man wrote:Hmm call me an old cynic here but…a new look Dalek, different colours and names/classes. I don’t suppose a new range of action figures is on the horizon by any chance is it?
Yes of course. There'll be a shedload of new Doctor Who toys this year.

However I suspect the Dalek design was also changed so it could be better animated for that computer game they promoted straight after the episode. The curse of New Dennis has spread to New Daleks!
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

And the multicolouring of them is akin to the version from the Cushing movies. Somebody on another forum described them as Power Ranger Daleks - and I see what they mean! :lol:

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

A little bit of good news on the Who front: the BBC have just issued a press release stating that this years series of The Sarah Jane Adventures will include a two part story in which Sarah will be assisted by not only Matt Smith as the new Doctor, but also veteran companion Katy Manning, returning to the role of Jo Grant after 37 years!

Muffy

Post by Muffy »

I'm probably the only one here who thinks the new daleks are a little bit ymca.

I preferred the british khaki daleks with union flag and blacked out lights :)

Attachments
ymca.jpg

grumpy old man

Post by grumpy old man »

Yikes! I’ve now got an image in my head of the Daleks waving their gun/plunger units around in the air doing YMCA

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

I didn't think much of the 2 parter of Dr Who, and Matt Smith is now getting on my nerves.
Bring back Tom Baker.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

steelclaw wrote:I didn't think much of the 2 parter of Dr Who, and Matt Smith is now getting on my nerves.
Bring back Tom Baker.
er, you do know he's 76, right...? :oops:

I'm really enjoying the new Doctor Who. Couldn't stand Tennant, hated Russell T Davies' scripts, but the new team are really working for me. I see some of Troughton, flashes of Colin Baker and even some of the mannerisms of Peter Cushing's movie Doctor in Matt Smith's portrayal. There also seems to be a layered quality to the writing, a lot of small stuff going on in the background which I think will become important later on as the series progresses.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

I hope everyone got to see this episode...it was just great..
the ending was very special..
loved the to Amy on the painting...

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Must admit to peaks and troughs with my feelings to Matt Smith now. I loved how he started off, but the Weeping Angel two parter left me feeling a tad annoyed at his hyper-ness (real word?) and the smugness of River Song, but the Van Gogh episode last night was decent writing paired with above-par acting brought me back into the fold. The ending was especially touching and not overdone schmaltz as we saw with the departure of David Tennant.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

chrissmillie

Post by chrissmillie »

I've tried. I've really tried. But it's just so disappointing. Matt Smith is alright but a bit too young to really pull it off for me. I find the scripts so childish (I know there's a faint nod to adults every so often) and the explanations ridiculous. Too many ex deus machina and letstalkfastcozwecantexplainwhatwearedoing.

Time to put it on CBBC - that's the market that it seems aimed at now. I want a sinister William Hartnell and some real mystery and terror. Not ironic winks to General Elections or kickstarting black-holes.
STARSCAPE
http://www.StarscapeComic.co.uk
Classic British reprints and all-new comics

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Yesterday's episode mentioned suicide, and the BBC had to put the Action Line details up over the end credits. That's a first. An episode like Vincent and the Doctor wouldn't be possible on CBBC. I've never seen a CBBC show use Action Line.