Half a million visitors : Congratulations!

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Phoenix
Guru

Half a million visitors : Congratulations!

Post by Phoenix »

Congratulations to Al and his moderators for providing the platform for forum members to achieve this magnificent milestone. :cheers:

Digifiend

Re: Half a million visitors : Congratulations!

Post by Digifiend »

Not just the forum - that figure applies to Comics UK itself! Congratulations Al! :up:

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

the babychams are on Al tonight...be there or be square!!!

Al
Sir!

Post by Al »

:cheers: all!

It's certainly a large ol' number, that's made up of between 200-400 hits a day. The Forum has had over 33,000 posts, which is way above and beyond anything that I had envisaged at the sites inception. And many thanks (about 33,000+) to you guys and gals for keeping the Forum flowing on a daily basis. Also, special thanks to the other two administrators of the site Andy and Colin who have done a wonderful job over the years....thanks guys :up:

This also seems like a good time to update you on what I've been up to on the development side of things, and it's a case of bad news, good news.

Bad News: Work on Version 2 has been suspended for a number of reasons. The main one, as always, is the amount of time that I can allocate to creating all the new code. What I want to do and what I'm actually achieving are two vastly differnet animals. There's just not enough hours in the day, or days in the week.

Good News: Work on Version 3 has begun! In the past couple of weeks I have come across a brand new way (to me) of creating an interactive website. It's called Content Management Systems (CMS) and it appears to have a plethora of tools at it's disposal that have been built and tested and ready for incorporation into any website. Some of these tools are what I've been slaving away at for the past 900 years (it seems), while they were there all the time.

There do appear to be a number of these CMS's around, but the two most popular ones seem to be Drupal and Joomla. After a fair bit of research I've opted to go for Drupal, even though this is the one that takes the longest to set up. But once it's done it becomes very effective indeed....so they tell me.

Comics UK V2 is dead. Long live Comics UK V3 (after it goes live, of course)

Here are a few screen shots of the 'old' Comics UK Version 2
Attachments
Publishers Comicpedia Form
Publishers Comicpedia Form
Admin Panel
Admin Panel
Comicpedia Membership Form
Comicpedia Membership Form
Publishers Screen
Publishers Screen

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Those screenshots look good. That layout looks much more modern than the current site. I notice the use of the forum's logo there, rather than the one the main site uses. Thanks for the update.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

I'm sure I had that idea in your ear a few years ago, only with Joomla ;) Great news!