General Election

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Digifiend

General Election

Post by Digifiend »

Looks like we got a hung parliament. That doesn't bode well. But the worst thing about this election is that people apparently got turned away from the polling stations amid long queues, and some places even ran out of ballot papers! Surely they should have enough? Unbelieveable!

I voted Lib Dem (Tories can't win here, and there was no way I was voting Labour!), but Labour narrowly kept Hull North, by less than 2%.

By the way, nice one Rab.

grumpy old man

Re: General Election

Post by grumpy old man »

I’ve just been watching that report about people having trouble voting. I thought everyone in the studio was being very polite but – the polling stations were open for 15 hours! If people leave it until the last minute (and don’t take up a postal vote) whose faults that?

Just for the record I was a Labour defector this time

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

grumpy old man wrote:I’ve just been watching that report about people having trouble voting. I thought everyone in the studio was being very polite but – the polling stations were open for 15 hours! If people leave it until the last minute (and don’t take up a postal vote) whose faults that?

Just for the record I was a Labour defector this time
To be fair if some people don't get home from work until late (due to commuting or whatever) then they can't get there earlier. Besides, some of them had been queuing for hours. If voters turned up at 8pm or 9pm you'd think they'd get in.

Some stations did let people in as they had been waiting before 10pm. The most inexcusable situations were in the places where the polling stations ran out of ballot papers! How could that happen? Surely they print the number of forms for the exact number of eligible voters?

Anyway, yeah, looks like Marvel Team-Up time in Westminster. At least the BNP failed to win any seats so that's one bit of good news.

STARBOY

Post by STARBOY »

I agree Lew, the fact that there weren't enough papers in some polling stations is unforgiveable - I've read some reports that a legal case might be made and the electoral commission is looking into this, so expect more on this later - 10pm is a fair time to get to the station to vote but there are bound to be legit reasons people arrived a bit later (travel, family issues etc) not everyone lives in the city centre - strange results except in Scotland where nothing changed (albeit an increase in Labours vote which is to be exxpected with Scotlands gerneral revulsion at the Torys from the Thatcher years -but probably an own goal for us) I was really suprised at the Liberal vote collapsing, but thankfully the BNP were swept aside (a few problems in Glasgow with the BNP candidates being verbally harrassed - poor souls !! :D ) Lets hope whatever gov we get that they all work togther as there are some very hard times ahead for us all.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

A Hung parliament,
Hang 'em all the lying cheating pigs the lot of them.

Good news
At least the Daily Mail are unhappy :lol:

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

I'm not old enough to vote but if I was I would have voted Conservative. I think the Tories won the seat I live in from Labour which is good from my point of view.

The country doesn't need a hung parliament at the present time but equally I'm glad that Labour didn't win an overall majority, though I don't that was ever likely to happen this time around.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

steelclaw wrote:A Hung parliament,
Hang 'em all the lying cheating pigs the lot of them.

Good news
At least the Daily Mail are unhappy :lol:
Glad you've got your priorities in order. :D
This whole election has been a bit of a fiasco, really.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Whoever wins the seat of power is in for a rough ride..............there are some really tough times ahead after all this wasted resources over the last three decades or so.

Things are a lot more serious than our political 'masters' will admit to, and the anarchy witnessed in Athens this week came from a country with a MILDER trade deficit than us!

I doubt if there will be 'Anarchy in the UK', however, as the Brits are a real apathetic lot, and will rather tune into 'X-FACTOR' than light up petrol-bombs in the streets......difficult to say which is the lesser of the two evils.

PS: when I awoke this morning, I actually FORGOT there was a General Election: I believe this is the first time it has slipped my mind overnight .

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Jonny Whizz wrote:I'm not old enough to vote but if I was I would have voted Conservative. I think the Tories won the seat I live in from Labour which is good from my point of view.

The country doesn't need a hung parliament at the present time but equally I'm glad that Labour didn't win an overall majority, though I don't that was ever likely to happen this time around.
You can check it here: www.bbc.co.uk/election

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:I actually FORGOT there was a General Election
Unlike me! I was first in to my polling station at 6.58 am and was told I had to wait two minutes. When I had popped my votes into the ballot box and departed at 7.02 to pick up my copy of The Guardian, Labour had a clear lead of 1 in both the local and national elections. In the national contest my candidate was successful but at local level my man will have had an awful job overturning the LibDems, who are all over us like a rash throughout the year, so good luck to them. Perhaps this year they will get something done about the ruts and potholes in my road. At least the bins get emptied on schedule. I doubt whether that will necessarily be the case if the Bullingdon clique are allowed to form a minority administration.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:Whoever wins the seat of power is in for a rough ride..............there are some really tough times ahead after all this wasted resources over the last three decades or so.
You have got that right Rab. When I watched the 'Leader' debates, I was gobsmacked that Gordo was so hung up on Cameron's aim to cut wasted funds. In my jobs, that is a very hot topic.
ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:I doubt if there will be 'Anarchy in the UK', however, as the Brits are a real apathetic lot, and will rather tune into 'X-FACTOR' than light up petrol-bombs in the streets......difficult to say which is the lesser of the two evils.
I was laughing out loud as you have got it spot on. In the militant 70's and 80's, you would not have been able to move for reactions against the Government. Nowadays, a guy camped on the lawns of the Houses Of Parliament with a hastily scribbled notice on cardboard seems to be more our speed these days.
ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:PS: when I awoke this morning, I actually FORGOT there was a General Election: I believe this is the first time it has slipped my mind overnight .
I have never stayed up overnight to watch the results roll in, but I know what you mean. This election seems to have suffered from a dose of Why are we bothering? I know that I took a look at my ballot paper and decided to vote for the party that irritated me the least.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

colcool007 wrote:I have never stayed up overnight to watch the results roll in, but I know what you mean. This election seems to have suffered from a dose of Why are we bothering? I know that I took a look at my ballot paper and decided to vote for the party that irritated me the least.
I felt the same but I'm wondering if we're just jaded with age. I want the optimism of the 1960s back fer cryin' out loud! :lol:

I sat up to watch the election comedy thing on C4. Anything with ex-Oink contributor Charlie Brooker in is usually worth a view, the cynical old git. :lol: (Actually he was the youngest contributor on Oink, - 15 or something at the time.)
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

colcool007 wrote:I know that I took a look at my ballot paper and decided to vote for the party that irritated me the least.
There is a rumbling in the land. It's Emily Davison turning over in her grave. Aneurin Bevan is following suit.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

The worst thing about this election is that we will no doubt have to have another one in the not too distant future. I can't see a Cameron/Clegg alliance holding together for too long, always supposing they can even agree on terms to get one started. And surely it would be too much of a poisoned chalice for the Lib/Dems to come to some agreement with Labour in the hope that a government made up losers, given that they would need others on board too to make up the numbers, could carry the day.
That being the case I think the only winners will be the political pundits, who can continue to drone on to their hearts content.
In any case most politicians are way too young these days (a consequence of me being way too old no doubt) and like doctors their youthfulness does not particularly fill you with confidence. Where are the pipe-smoking patricians when you need them, the men who enjoyed a rough shag in the Cabinet Room to clear their minds and steady their nerves?

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Kashgar wrote:the men who enjoyed a rough shag in the Cabinet Room to clear their minds and steady their nerves
Would they have been shagging each other?