Ray Alan RIP

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

PaulTwist

Ray Alan RIP

Post by PaulTwist »

Surprised there's not a thread here already...

Was saddened to learn that Ray Alan had passed on. As a child I'd always be delighted to see him and Lord Charles on TV.

I doubt today's kids care much for vent acts, save for the tedious Achmed the Dead Terrorist on YouTube, I remember when it were all fields round here etc etc </rosetintedspectacles> ;)

Peter Gray

Re: Ray Alan RIP

Post by Peter Gray »

I did a thread at sausagenet.org forum..

http://www.sausagenet.org/YaBB.pl?num=1274713606/1#1

I thought Lord Charles voice and laugh is what made it special..he didn't come over as a scary puppet..as those puppets do give me the creeps..a good fun character
I rememeber him doing the channel 4 A to Z of cartoons.loved seeing that..

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Ray Alan also had his kids' TV pairing 'Tich and Quackers' who starred in, if memory serves, TV Comic for a time.
He seemed a nice bloke, a sort of blond haired cousin of Leslie Crowther.
Sadly, now that his sunny persona has gone, I fear that my abiding memory of vent acts will tend solely to the 'dark side' and unnerving thoughts of Maxwell and Sylvester.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Here's the sort of thing that make an impact on Peters', kashgars', and indeed my own memory:

anyone who ever saw this film ['DEAD of NIGHT' , 1945] is unlikely ever to forget this sequence:

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

The aforementioned Maxwell and his puppet Hugo. Sylvester being the other vent act that Hugo taunted Maxwell with plans of abandoning him for, with tragic results all round.

Brendan McGuire

Post by Brendan McGuire »

I saw Ray Alan live, years ago. He was brilliant and very, very funny. The stand out moment was Ray donning a white glove, wiping lipstick around the thumb and finger and sticking two beadss on his knuckle - and made a brand new character come to life. he was a genius. I got his autograph too.