The Avengers..

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Peter Gray

The Avengers..

Post by Peter Gray »

I've now seen all of Emma Peel's episodes and was very impressed..
I like Diana Rigg because she is very pleasing to look at and a great expressive face..also good chemistry between her and Steed..
Love the quirky stories everyone so different...very creative..

The ending with Steed saying goodbye wasn't acting it was real.....loved the funny ending of her husband which cheered up a sad moment..

I don't know if I can see anyone topping Diana Rigg who was the next best one...Joanna Lumley?

ISPYSHHHGUY

Re: The Avengers..

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

THE AVENGERS was easily my favourite-ever 60s show, Peter: I was very young when it was first screened [though I can't remember the early CATHY GALE episodes.] It was the sheer surrealism of the show that won me over: like the world of comics, it made no concessions to reality, just sheer escapism and brilliant for it.

It's great that you were pleased with the EMMA PEEL megaset, I agree that DIANA RIGG was a key factor in the series' winning formula: the vast majority of the shows featuring Em are still very watchable today: and with great theme music from Laurie Johnson.

Some factors from the Avengers were definately an inspiration on I SPY: notably the CYBERNAUTS.....the MATIC-MEN appeared in 1970, too similar to be a coincidence.

the Cheryl Cole of 1967: oh, how I love this woman:

NP

Post by NP »

See what you've done, Peter, you've started him off again!
By the way, Rab, the National Film theatre are showing 'A Touch of Brimstone' on the BIG screen 1 in July- I trust you'll be flying across?

Joana Lumley? When Linda Thorson is in the frame? Surely you jest!

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I'm too far away from London, I'm afraid, NP....it is one of my favourite b/w episodes, however: some of the more kinkier scenes were banned from screening for a long time.

The Avengers is very impeccably filmed, and I'm sure it could be blown up for the big screen without any loss of quality.

grumpy old man

Post by grumpy old man »

The Avengers is very impeccably filmed, and I'm sure it could be blown up for the big screen without any loss of quality.
Unfortunately that’s more than can be said of the 1998 film version. Is this the worst ever big screen version of a TV classic? On second thoughts I’ve just remembered Thunderbirds!

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I tend to agree with you, gom....there was only ONE Emma Peel, and only one STEED, come to mention it.......