1967 - my best year in music!

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

alanultron5

Re: 1967 - my best year in music!

Post by alanultron5 »

I have some US footage Steve! One from late 67 featuring both the `Doors` and `Jefferson Airplane` Is the Soft Machine one -them doing "LOve Makes Sweet Music"?

Anon! And now!

THE BEACH BOYS!

1966 had been a great year for the Beach Boys! (apart from "PET SOUNDS" weak performance in the US LP charts) They actually beat the Beatles in the NEW MUSICAL EXPRESS "World Groups Section" in the papers end of year pop polls!

1967 should have continued this but both Brian Wilson's LP and single follow ups = Single "GOOD VIBRATIONS" by "HEROES AND VILLIANS" LP "PET SOUNDS" by "SMILE" were becoming bogged down as the pressure took toll on Brian Wilson!

In desperation their record company (Capitol) released an old 1965 LP track "THEN I KISSED HER" to the groups annoyance! The record didn't make the US top 30, the first time since their debut single in 1962 that this happened! In the UK, loyal fans bought it to the No 4 position in all charts, but it got a critical hammering!

Late spring saw Paul McCartney travel to meet Brian Wilson in his California home! McCartney took along an acetate of the Beatles forthcoming "SGT PEPPER" LP! It devestated Wilson who gave up on his "SMILE" project and went into a steep decline!

The group pulled out from headlining Saturday night of the June "MONTEREY POP FESTIVAL" It caused them a big loss of support in their home market and they went into a steep US sales decline for over four years!

Finally! New single "HEROES AND VILLIANS" was released! (Late August)In the US it just made the top twenty and in the UK hit No 8 (RECORD RETAILER), No 9 (MELODY MAKER) and No 10 (NME) It caught some critical `Flak` with DISC's reviewer Penny Valentine, especially tough on the record! Today, it is far higher regarded!

The end of the year saw another single "WILD HONEY" just nibble at the bottom places of the top 30 charts, while in the US fail to get above No 60!

The "SMILE" LP, abandoned earlier, saw a couple of tracks and singles "GOOD VIBRATIONS" and "HEROES AND VILLIANS" cobbled together as "SMILEY SMILE" it was an abomination (Thoughh, amazingly Record Mirror's Norman Joplin gave it a good review!) On the strength of the groups reputation it made the top 10 lp charts-but it is now considered a true dud!

1968 would see the group's `popularity` totally collapse in the US (A late Spring 1968 tour with the Maharishee was a Catastrophe!!) In the UK only "DO IT AGAIN" would restore some chart pride!

THE TREMELOES!

The trems were still nominally with lead man Brian Poole as 1967 began, but with the release of their second `group only` single "HERE COMES MY BABY" (Their first in Oct 66 had been a cover of Beatles Track "GOOD DAY SUNSHINE" which flopped) they announced a parting of the ways with Poole, who was none too pleased at the news!

He had cause as the Cat Stevens written song made the UK top five charts! The group who'se `image` came over as rather overtly `cheery and good time` told interviwers they would not take sucess as lightly as they had when backing Poole!

"HERE COMES MY BABY" also hit the US top 20 and the group toured the US later that year- but the US market was changing to `heavier` sounds and the Tremeloes never really broke through there!

Their next single was a Four Season's `B` side (To "RAG DOLL" I think!) whos'e vocal style suited the groups harmonic style of singing! It raced to No 1 in May (for three weeks) giving their label, CBS its first home No 1! (CBS had a 1965 No 1 in UK with the Byrds "TAMBOURINE MAN" but they were a US act!)

The next single "EVEN THE BAD TIMES ARE GOOD" with its opening `Part sounds` and cries of "Parrot Face" hit No 4 (RR chart) in September 1967 (It made No 5 on NME & MM charts) saw the sucess continue!

They cleverly switched back to Ballad mode for their November single "BE MINE" but it was their first comparitive failure only reaching No 29 in NME chart and 33 in R.RETAILER! (Failed to enter MM Top 30)

The Groups two 1967 LPs were poor stuff and sold little, confirming they were definatly a singles act!

Chart sucess would continue to 1971 for the Trems! Critical maulings would continue too!

Next up I will cover CREAM and JIMI HENDRIX EXPERIENCE!
A Face unclouded by thought.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

This is the cover of Sick Magazine from February 1967. I think they chose a Mod theme just so they could have the word at the top of the cover and hope it was mistaken for their competitor - Mad.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Afraid I can't access it Steve! Anyhow!

CREAM!

The trio known as Cream, entered 1967 with debut LP "FRESH CREAM" already high in the LP charts! A new single "I FEEL FREE" fared better than their Sept 1966 debut 45 "WRAPPING PAPER" making No 9 in the DISC chart and No 11 in the other three!

Along with The Who, Cream went to the US in the spring to appear on Murray the K's 24 `Pop Package` They were a big sucess! Though as yet their records had not sold well in the US market! By years end this would change greatly! While in the US, the group recorded their second LP "DISRAELI GEARS".

Back in the UK a third single (taken from the LP sessions) "STRANGE BREW" made the UK top 20 charts that July. It did not better No 12 (M.Maker chart) but the group wern't bothered and stated they were not going to release any more singles as they found making them uncompattible to the groups `ethos`

Cream were a superb live act and felt their only real competition were the recently formed JIMI HENDRIX EXPERIENCE.

In late August, the group embarked on a long US tour which really took fire! It was an outstanding sucess with record attendances at every venue! The groups "FRESH CREAM" LP now started to re-enter and climb the US top 100 charts and new LP, "DISREALI GEARS" , released in late December sold over a Million copies through 1968. It was a top three LP in the UK charts too!

CREAM went into 1968 becoming world stars and selling massive amounts of Lps in the US market! They did recind the `no singles` policy releasing a further four to early 1969! Sadly, the gruelling US tour schedule became their undoing!

Wow! very tired! I will do JIMI HENDRIX Tomorrow! Just the BEE GEES and PROCUL HARUM to go after this! If Steve or anyone want any chart queries answering- please feel free to ask!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Mountain, of course, were a sort of US version of Cream with Jack Bruce joining up with Mountain members to form Bruce, West and Laing. Felix Pappalardi also went on to produce some Cream stuff.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Free's first LP "Ton's of Sobs" is VERY Cream influenced too Steve!

Now! JIMI HENDRIX!

After arriving in London (In Sept 1966) US musician, JIMI HENDRIX astounded the UK music scene with his proficiancy and dynamic showmanship on lead guitar! Eric Clapton in particular was `shell-shocked` by Hendrix and began to slightly alter his own style of play to compete!

On word of mouth from Clapton, Paul McCartney etc Polydor records signed Hendrix on a one record deal until Track records would put out his records! A group was quickly put together! This was a trio with ex Georgie Fame drummer Mitch Mitchell and Noel Redding on Bass! The trio, called "THE JIMI HENDRIX EXPERIENCE" proved a sensational live act and soon were playing to sold out venues! Many of the UK's top musicians often attended!

A single "HEY JOE" was a version of a Tim Rose song that already had many US versions! was released in December 1966! The record `WAS` hyped into the lower part of the M.MAKER top 50 at first- then it sold on merit and was a Top 10 hit! No 4 (M.MAKER) No 6 (R.RETAILER & DISC) No 7 (NME).

Hendrix and his group took part in one of the weirdest mix of artists on a spring UK package tour! Headlined by the WALKER BROTHERS, it also featured new artists CAT STEVENS and ENGLEBERT HUMPERDINK! Hendrix made headline news when deliberatly (Though he denied it at the time) igniting his guiyar onstage!

Paul McCartney, who was one of the `directors` of the committee setting up the US "MONTEREY POP FESTIVAL" in June! His insistance gained Hendrix a spot on the bill!

Back in the UK, "PURPLE HAZE" was the first release on the new TRACK label (Set up by WHO Managers, Lambert & Stamp) It is regarded as the best representation of his `sound` and was an instant hit, reaching No 3 (R>RETAILER) No 4 (M.MAKER & DISC) and No 5 (NME) charts!

Quickly following this was a change of style- to semi-ballad- with "THE WIND CRIES MARY" which reached No 6 (M.MAKER & R.RETAILER) No 7 (NM ) No 8 (DISC) charts in May.

His first LP "ARE YOU EXPERIENCED" was released to excstatic reviews in June and was only prevented from topping all UK LP charts by "SGT PEPPER" It contained such classics as "FIRE" "FOXY LADY" "ARE YOU EXPERIENCED" and "THIRD STONE FROM THE SUN", every track was chocked full of truly superb guitar work from Hendrix!

In June, Hendrix attended the Monterey Pop Festival. He argued with Peter Townsend of The Who over who would follow who! They tossed a coin and Townsend won! In fact, the US group THE GRATEFUL DEAD followed the Who, then the Jimi Hendrix Experience! He brought the house down with possibly the finest performance of the festival! This would kick-start Hendrix` surge in popularity in his homeland!

In September, a fourth single "BURNING OF THE MIDNIGHT LAMP" only reached No 14 in the M.MAKER Chart, but by then, singles were not as important to Hendrix and he wouldn't release another in the UK for a whole year!

Closer to his heart was new LP "AXIS BOLD AS LOVE" which was a more restrained offering which was made with Stereo in mind! It reached No 5 in the LP charts and began to make headway in the US charts!

By end of year, Hendrix was touring in the USA to bigger and bigger crowds! By mid 1968 he was `The` Top US live act! 1968 Double LP "ELECTRIC LADYLAND" would top the US charts!

Sadly, Drugs and a hectic lifestyle would catch up with Hendrix in September 1970!

Wow! Very tiring! I will cover the BEE GEES Tomorrow!

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

THE BEE GEES

The brothers Gigg, plus Colin Peterson, landed in the UK in January 1967. They soon signed up to be managed by Robert Stigwood who gpot them a recording contract with Polydor records!

First single in February was "SPICKS AND SPECKS" which had topped all the Australian regional charts (Australia had no national chart till 1975, only `State` charts) Though people thought the Bee Gees were Australian, they actually hailed from Manchester UK and their family had emigrated when the brothers were children. Only Colin Peterson and new member Vince Melourney were true Aussies!

"SPICKS AND SPECKS" didn't bother the UK charts and a hastily written new single "NEW YORK MINING DISASTER !941" was readied for early April release! Many commentators thought the group sounded very `Beatles-Like` in their sound and Robert Stigwood played on this when getting the record a US release on the Atco label!

US Disc Jockeys were requsted by Atco to ask after playing the record, "Who do you think this is?" Amazingly, most US record buyers believed it to be a new Beatles disc! Though the truth did come out, the record was selling well in the US and hit the top 20! In the UK it got to No 14 at best! The group also garned fervant support from Jonathan King in his column for DISC music paper! King extolled their virtues almost every week!

The group were getting lots of publicity and stated work on their debut UK LP (They had already released two Australian ones) In the meantime a new single for June release "TO LOVE SOMEBODY" recieved rave reviews in the UK music press everywhere! Though it was another US top 20 hit it amazingly failed in the UK, only reaching the mid 40s in the RECORD RETAILER Top 50! Over the years, "TO LOVE SOMEBODY" has become one of their most covered songs! Nina Simone scored a Top 20 hit with her version in early 1969!

Whilst licking their wounds over this UK failure the group were informed by the UK Government immigration department that once Petersons and Melourney's six month visas had expired they had to return to Australia! Manager Stigwood quickly began a petition to send to the UK Govenment and was backed up by the UK Music and News press in this campaign!

Of great help was September release of single "MASSACHUSSETS" which raced up the UK charts giving the group a No 1 record! It stayed top for Four weeks in the R.RETAILER chart! (3 Weeks on all others) and won a Silver Disc award! The group argued they were contributing to the UK economy and with "MASSACHUSSETS" making the US top 20 and selling across the globe (As their others records had) it convinced H.M Government to recind the deportation order on the two Australian members!

The groups first UK LP "BEE GEE'S FIRST" was released in July! It was full of very good pop tracks "TURN OF THE CENTURY" "RED CHAIR FADEWAY" "EVERY CHRISTIAN LOIN HEARTED MAN" "CLOSE ANOTHER DOOR" "CUCUMBER CASTLE" "IN MY OWN TIME" "CRAIS FENTON KIRK" plus their "NEW YORK" and "LOVE SOMEBODY" singles! The LP did recieve comments it was very Beatles influenced which the group denied! "IN MY OWN TIME" did sound like Beatles "TAXMAN" part two though!

The LP did not chart at first, but after "MASSACHUSSETS" Hit No 1 in early October, it then reached the middle places of the LP charts! A good solid sucess!

The group began to prepare for their first big UK tour in early 1968 preparing to take a full Orchestra with them- a first! - In the meantime, their fifth UK single of 1967 "WORLD" released in November was another Top 10 hit, reaching No 7 (M.MAKER) No 8 (NME) and No 9 (R.RETAILER) charts. It gained another Silver disc for its two month Top 10 residency!

The BEE GEES would enter 1968 on a crest gaining another UK No1 "I'VE GOTTA GET A MESSAGE TO YOU" in September that year!

Final major UK group covered will be PROCUL HARUM! I will leave them till Monday!

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

PROCUL HARUM!

Surprise group of 1967 were PROCUL HARUM who were only formed early in the year! Signed by Tony Hall to the Deram label their debut single "A WHITER SHADE OF PALE" (released early May) caused a sensation! Played insessantly by the pirate stations, it caused a massive demand in record stores throughout the UK!

Leaping straight into every top twenty except RECORD RETAILERS (Entered at No 21) it reached No1 in two weeks! In ten days on sale it sold 356.000. becoming the Decca groups (Deram belonged to Decca) fastest ever selling single (that record would only last two months). The group were inundated with offers and inqueries about the record! The BBC had considered banning it over the line about "Vestal Virgins" but relented!

The record hit No1 in all charts and became a colossal hit in France and the rest of Europe! It was expected to top the US charts but only reached No 4, though still passing a million US Sales!

The pressue got to the group and they withdrew from all interviews citing `pressure of work` Two members of the group were `sacked` along with their manager! Two new members, including guitarist Robin Trower and new management were inducted -but it left a bad taste in pop circles!

The record was top of the R.RETAILER and DISC charts for six weeks, and five on NME & M.MAKER, but it didn't become the expected UK million seller! Sales had tailed off quickly, resulting in a UK total of about 800.000. It became 1967's second biggest world wide single with over Eight million, second only to The Monkees, "I'M A BELIEVER"

The group left the Deram label, transferring to the reactivated Regal Zonophone label (Along with stablemates The Move) and second single "HOMBURG" was released late September! It was bound to be compared unfavourably with "WHITER" though is now regarded by many as superior to its more famous predecessor! "HOMBURG" made No 5 in the NME chart and No 6 in M.MAKER and R.RETAILER charts!

The groups debut eponymous LP released in November was fairly well recieved and sold fairly well, but it should have been more!

Procul Harum survived all the Hyperbole, producing musch cerebral and invigorating music over the next ten yers before breaking up at the height of `Punk Rock`

Next, I will highlight the top Solo artists of 1967 in UK charts (and some US) starting with ELVIS PRESLEY & CLIFF RICHARD.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Procol Harum did play a live gig in London a couple of years back, I have it on dvd (but haven't watched it yet - its with a backlog of about 200 other dvds). I seem to remember reading that at one point the line up of Procol Harum was the same as an earlier incarnation - The Roulettes who were Adam Faith's backing band and released the Lennon McCartney composition Bad To Me as a single. And, as I type this, I suddenly realise that I am probably talking about the Paramounts as I think the Roulettes became Argent. Help!

Google isn't far away I can always check.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Russ Ballard and Bob Henrit joined Unit 4+2 and then Argent. The Paramounts are indeed the ones you are thinking of, courtesy of Wikipedia!

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

An early `Top of The Pops` clip of Procul Harum performing "Whiter Shade of Pale" has just been found! No! I know there already is a clip, which is from the Dec 26th TOTP XMAS Part 2 show! This one is from July 67 when the record was still top! Gary Brooker has his moustache and gets some of the lyrics wrong! I seen it! There is also Pink Floyds "See Emily Play" too! Both clips rather poor condition sadly!

NOW!! ELVIS PRESLEY.

For Elvis, 1967 (along with 1974) would be his worst chart year when alive! He was most `out of date` in 1967 and a very remote figure to most fans. He had just enjoyed a Christmas 1966 Top ten hit with "I WISH IT COULD BE CHRISTMAS EVERYDAY" which is rated quite a creditible song for a Xmas offering!

Next single, "INDESCRIBABLY BLUE" (February 1967)was a decent ballad, but rather spoiled by having the Jordannaires warble over it! It made no 20 in the NME chart, but that was its best position!

Next UK single, "YOU GOTTA STOP" (MAY 1967) was Elvis first single in the UK to fail to make any top 40 placing, only reaching No 44 in the R.RETAILER Top 50.

Worse was to follow as July single "LONG LEGGED GIRL WITH THE SHORT DRESS ON" (Quite his worst ever single in my eyes-ears!) only made No 49 in the RR chart!

That September, Elvis cut some better tracks in Memphis including "U.S MALE and "GUITAR MAN" along with "BIG BOSS MAN" which the Elvis Fan club hailed a return to form! "BIG BOSS MAN" saw UK release in October 1967, but despite fair reviews was his first ever total UK chart failure!!

In a desperate move, RCA records rushed out two 1962 LP tracks "JUDY/THERE's ALWAYS ME" for Xmas 1967 release resulting in another total chart failure!

Elvis recorded and released his gospel flavoured LP "HOW GREAT THOU ART" at Christmas too. It didn't bother the LP charts, but is very sought after today! All his 1967 singles fetch high prices now! not because they are good; but because their low sales in 1967 makes them very rare!

1968 would see Elvis beginning to re-emerge as a world chart force again!

Next will be CLIFF RICHARD as i'm getting tired now!

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

CLIFF RICHARD! Cliff Richard was one of the few `pre-Beatles` UK singers to still enjoy hits after the Merseybeat `tidal-wave` He didn't hit the top three anywhere as often as before the 1963 `sea changes` but in the main, hit the top ten charts regulary!

Cliff's first 1967 chart hit was a late 1966 release, "IN THE COUNTRY" which reached No5 in MELODY MAKER, No 6 in RECORD RETAILER, No 7 DISC and No 8 NME!

Cliff seriously considered leaving music altogether for a teaching post in the Billy Graham Evangalist organisation, but decided against this later in the year!

Mid March saw the release of "IT'S ALL OVER" a Phil Everly song from the current Everly Brothers LP! Its beautiful production made it one of Cliff's best ever ballads! While it reached No5 on the M.MAKER chart, it could get no higher than No 7 on DISC, No 8 on NME and No 9 on R.RETAILER Charts!

Cliff's next release in June was a Neil Diamond written effort "I'LL COME RUNNING" a rare uptempo release for Cliff (Most of his 1964-66) songs had been ballads! It only made as high as No 19 on the NME chart and mid 20s in the other three, making it one of Cliff's rare `semi-failures`

Shadows member, Hank Marvin composed Cliff's next release (August) the supperbly haunting and athmospheric "THE DAY I MET MARIE" Starting with lovely acoustic guitar and haunting verse about a girl who may have been a figment of the imagination, it contained a lively brass band chorus to Cliff's exuberant vocals!

"MARIE" was Cliff's own favourite song of his career for many years! It should have been a No1 challenger, but only reached No 10 in R.RETAILER and M.MAKER charts and No11 in NME! It did however, stay in the charts for three months, only just failing to win a Silver Disc!

Cliff's final record of 1967 (November) "ALL MY LOVE" followed the big ballad trend of the year! An Italian song, it was of a Bolero style with no discernable chorus!

Though some reviewers tipped it a Christmas No1 it stalled at No 6 (R.RETAILER) No 7 (M.MAKER) and No 8 (NME)

Similar to Elvis Presley who released his religious based "HOW GREAT THOUGH ART!" LP in Xmas 67, Cliff's "GOOD NEWS" with its newspaper style cover, was an LP of religious based material.

Cliff would carry on having hits to the early 2000's!

Next will be TOM JONES & ENGLEBERT HUMPERDINK

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

TOM JONES!

Entering 1967 with Million selling, gold disc winning "GREEN GREEN GRASS OF HOME" which trulty revived his career, Tom Jones went from strength to strength in 67!

His follow up in Late February "DETROIT CITY" recieved criticism for bieng another Jerry Lee Lewis Album track (As "GREEN GRASS" had) It reached No 5 in MELODY MAKER'S chart, No 7 in NME and No 8 in DISC & R.RETAILER!

A quick follow up, "FUNNY FAMILIAR FORGOTTON FEELINGS" (April) made No 6 in DISC, No 7 in M.MAKER, and No 8 in NME & R.RETAILER charts!

An LP, titled (not surprisingly) "GREEN, GREEN GRASS OF HOME" was a big seller that year as was following LP "13 SMASH HITS"

Tom's third 1967 single brought great praise from all reviewers, many citing it the best thing he's done so far! "I'LL NEVER FALL IN LOVE AGAIN" co-written by Lonnie Donegan, was released in late July! It reached No 2 in all charts, behind Scott McKenzies "SAN FRANSISCO" It looked like it might just overtale McKenzies chart topper after three weeks as `runner up`; but as "SAN FRANSISCO" weakened to drop below its competitor, the No 1 position was suddenly grabbed by Englebert Humperdink's huge selling "THE LAST WALTZ" keeping Tom at No2 for another two weeks! "I'LL NEVER FALL IN LOVE AGAIN" was Tom's second biggest UK hit with sales of over 400.000, winning him a Silver Disc award.

His final release of 1967 (November) was written by that years most sucessfull wrtiers Les Reed and Barry Mason, who penned "I'M COMING HOME" At one point it looked like it might be a Xmas chart topper, but the Beatles held it at No 2 for a week in the R.RETAILER chart! In the M.MAKER chart it hit No 3, in NME it reached No 4. It earned another silver disc for 250.000 sales!

Tom made good inroads into the US market in 1967 and by 1969 he was truly popular in that arena!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Alan, here are a couple of singles (one from 1967) that may arouse your curiosity. The lady who featured in a song on the first Clash album and later made a record produced by Joe Strummer. Janie Jones was later involved in the Radio 1 payola scandal. Her real name was Marion Mitchell (no relation). I'm going through hundreds of 60s singles sorting out the best ones to put on ebay as a bulk lot - need to make space.
Attachments
ebay august 2010 088.jpg
ebay august 2010 089.jpg

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Thanks Steve! "Witches Brew" was a minor `hit` reaching the lower end of the RR & MM top 50s! Do you have David Garrick's "I've Found A Love" or "Don't Go Out In The Rain" Singles Steve?

NOW!! ENGLEBERT HUMPERDINK! Born Arnold Gerry Dorsey in India, He had a raw time in pop until late 1966 when new manager Gordon Mills chose the name of 18th Century German composer `Englebert Humperdink` for his stage name! Englebert was one of the Decca label represntitives for the annual "Knocke" (In Belgium) Pan-Eoropean song festival! The UK team with him triumphed, his song "Stay" going down really well!

His next release "DOMMAGE, DOMMAGE" sold well in parts of Europe, especially Belgium, but as with all his previous releases-failed in the UK! But! The relative sucess of "DOMMAGE" bouyed him for his next release in January 1967 "RELEASE ME"

He got a spot on hugely popular `SUNDAY NIGHT AT THE LONDON PALLADIUM` show to plug his song and viewer response was outstanding via calls to ITV! Next weeks act Dickie Valentine-called off ill from his Palladium spot-so in an unprecedented move Englebert was asked back to highlight his song again! The response was amazing!!

The record hit the UK charts, reaching the top in five weeks in the MM chart, a week later in the others! "RELEASE ME" sold in tremendous amounts to hit 1.000.000 sales by April after a six week run at No1. It sold all year becoming 1967's top selling UK single. It also reached No 4 in the USA where Englebert made a hugely sucessful short visit to in May! "RELEASE ME" hold the record of the longest continious run of 56 weeks in the R.Retailer top 50.

Rather busy just now=-More Englebert soon!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Not only do I not have those singles but until I read your post it was the first time in my 54 years in the Alpha Quadrant that i'd even heard of them. Why the mention?

I have a box of 60s singles in a box by the front door that i intend to leave out for the dustman - they are in too poor condition to sell. They are all playable as long as you don't mind your pop hits accompanied by the sound of 60,000 Orang Utans eating Golden Wonder Crisps.