FOOTBALL SEASON 2010/11

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Re: FOOTBALL SEASON 2010/11

Post by steelclaw »

Digifiend wrote::shock: Yikes! That injunction has been lifted - it was Ryan Giggs who was playing away! What a fool. Man Utd have gone from celebrating the title to having a PR headache on their hands. This won't help their Champions League final preparations.
You mean to say you didn't know. :o Or were you being sarcastic.?
Your right what a twit he should have kept his knob in his trousers if he didn't want any publicity.
Come on Barca beat the utd cheaters Giggs Rooney and I bet half of the team.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

steelclaw wrote:You mean to say you didn't know. :o Or were you being sarcastic.?
I didn't know either, steelclaw. As I understand it, Digi and I, and no doubt thousands of others in this country, could only have got this information either by going abroad briefly or by accessing some online programme or other, like Facebook or Twitter. To judge from comments made by Digi over the last year or so, I don't think he has been abroad lately, and I haven't either, not since 1988 to be precise. As for Twitter, well maybe Digi feels as I do that it has as much chance of getting across the threshold of my house as prospective Conservative councillors or MPs.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

You could have gone to Waterloo station yesterday and picked up the Sunday Herald which had his face on the cover with just his eyes blanked out. Also thousands were singing "You're not secret anymore" at the match yesterday. So Sky viewers would have been enlightened.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

stevezodiac wrote:You could have gone to Waterloo station yesterday and picked up the Sunday Herald which had his face on the cover with just his eyes blanked out. Also thousands were singing "You're not secret anymore" at the match yesterday. So Sky viewers would have been enlightened.
If I haven't finished Saturday's Guardian, I read the rest of that on a Sunday. If I have, I might go out and get The Observer. Or I might not, depending on how much work I have planned for the day. What I am very unlikely to do is go into Liverpool and catch a train to London just to buy The Sunday Herald. Have you any idea what the train services are like on a Sunday? I would not be surprised if I had to come back via Birmingham, Ruabon, Chester and Birkenhead. On the plus side, I suppose I would have time to read The Sunday Herald from cover to cover. As for the singing at Old Trafford, well I never heard that. I was concentrating on the match on Sky and in any case, if I had heard it, how would I have known which of the 22 players it was referring to? To be honest, I'm not that bothered anyway. There are far more important things for me to focus on.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Well you've certainly proved that lefties are humourless nerks.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Even if I could've got hold of the Sunday Herald (and I've never been to Scotland, nor further south than Norwich), I didn't know about it's front page until a censored version (Giggs's picture was blacked out) was shown on BBC News last night.

So, no, I only found out about Giggs a few hours ago. And I'm not happy about it.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Digifiend wrote:(and I've never been to Scotland, nor further south than Norwich),
Hey Digi theirs a whole wide world out there you know.
But I expect Hull is such a beautiful place you wouldn't want to leave.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Phoenix wrote:What I am very unlikely to do is go into Liverpool and catch a train to London just to buy The Sunday Herald. Have you any idea what the train services are like on a Sunday? I would not be surprised if I had to come back via Birmingham, Ruabon, Chester and Birkenhead. On the plus side, I suppose I would have time to read The Sunday Herald from cover to cover.
stevezodiac wrote:Well you've certainly proved that lefties are humourless nerks.
You do need to be more attentive to my posts, Steve. The above post is humorous, a lighthearted response to your suggestion that I could have gone down to Waterloo Station to buy a newspaper. You surely can't possibly have thought I was being serious. Do I have to put smilies all over the place to indicate the places where I am being humorous/critical/whimsical etc? That dispenses with your use of humourless. I also think I've been a contributing member to this forum for long enough for you to realise that I am a long way from being a nerk, an offensive word that I wouldn't dream of using to or about anybody anywhere, not just on this forum. Furthermore, your use of the word removes any possibility that your comment was humorous. The Oxford Dictionary definition of nerk is:- a foolish, objectionable, or insignificant person. So that dispenses with the accuracy of the word nerk. Even the word lefties is a bit of an insult, although I would be the first to admit that my political stance is certainly left of centre. So, taking all the above into account, what have I really managed to prove, Steve?

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

I Believe Avram Grant's favourite ever song is the `B` side of the 1967 `Diana Ross & The Supremes` Hit "Reflections" "What is it?" you all ask (You `are` all asking aren't you?) Title = "Going Down for the Third Time" :)
A Face unclouded by thought.

dreamticket

Post by dreamticket »

How do Spurs fans feel about the Europa League? Assuming they make it (do they have to go through some preliminaries)?

A poison chalice or something worth going for (along with Stoke and Birmingham next season). That doesn't seem like a strong line-up to represent English football (no disrespect to Stoke and Birmingham fans). Mind you, it's nice to see these teams getting a chance.

If Arsenal don't get through to the champions league, do they automatically enter the Europa League?

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Yes, losing in the fourth qualifying round (play-off round) does get you a Europa place.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011%E2%80 ... -off_round

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

From my point of view, I think Europe would have been nice next season, but if it's only the Europa League then I'm not that disappointed to miss out on it. I think Spurs are better equipped than we are to cope with the extra games - they seem to have at least two good players for every position, whereas our depth is quite poor right now. It's more important that we build up a better squad and improve the first team (a winger and a left-back most certainly wouldn't go amiss), than worry about Europe. Anyway, it is often said that Europa League matches are good for giving fringe players an opportunity, which is fair in the case of Spurs, but in our case several backup players are not good enough, like Poulsen or Kyrgiakos, and the youngsters have equitted themselves fine when called upon in league games recently - Spearing has really come on, Kelly looked very good before getting injured, Shelvey has made some decent contributions and Flanagan is solid.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Fulham got into Europe by not clogging everyone for (almost all) the season!
A Face unclouded by thought.

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

Fulham did well in the second half of the season, although I was surprised by how dirty they were at times against us a few weeks ago - they picked up five bookings in that match. I would have thought given that the players knew they had a chance of getting in Europe through the Fair Play league, they would have taken a slightly more laid-back attitude (certainly not saying I don't think they should have tried in those matches, just that they should have tried to avoid fouls more than they did).
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

By finishing 5th Spurs miss the first 3 qualifying rounds, and start playing their first 2 play off E.L. matches on 18th/25th August.
If Spurs finished 6th they would have qualified via fair play rankings.
so well done to Spurs other wise they would have had a really early season playing in the Qualifiers.

Nothing beats a European night at White Hot Lane, and another trophy to win. Gives us a chance to play some young/fringe players and also gives us the added experience of a midweek game and financially it makes great sense , sponsors , gate receipts , merchandise , and most of all TV money the winning money is pathetic though.