What CD/Vinyl Did you Buy Today?

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

steelclaw
DC Skelton

What CD/Vinyl Did you Buy Today?

Post by steelclaw »

I know we're living in a world of downloads but I like nothing then having a CD or Record in my hands.
I still buy quite a lot of CD/Vinyl online from ebay,Amazon, and go and buy stuff from HMV and a few local records shops where I live, by anyone and everything.
My latest buy was this great 4 CD Stiff Box Set brilliant value at £12.90 from Amazon.

DISC1
1. Heart Of The City - Lowe, Nick
2. Between The Lines - Pink Fairies
3. All Aboard - Roogalator
4. Styrofoam - Tyla Gang
5. Boogie On The Street - Lewis, Lew Band
6. New Rose - Damned
7. Silver Shirt - Plummet Airlines
8. White Line Fever - Motorhead
9. Neat Neat Neat - Damned
10. Less Than Zero - Costello, Elvis
11. I Can't Get No Satisfaction - Devo
12. England's Glory - Wall, Max
13. One Chord Wonders - Adverts
14. Marie Provost - Lowe, Nick
15. Whole Wide World - Wreckless Eric
16. Sex And Drugs And Rock And Roll - Dury, Ian
17. Problem Child - Damned
18. Suffice To Say - Yachts
19. Police Car - Wallis, Larry
20. Let's Loot The Supermarket Again Like We Did Last Summer - Farren, Mick & The Deviants
21. Sweet Gene Vincent - Dury, Ian & The Blockheads
22. One Way Love - Damned
23. Reconnez Cherie - Wreckless Eric
24. Yankee Wheels - Aire, Jane & The Belvederes
25. Romeo And The Lonely Girl - Graham, Ernie

DISC2

1. Solitary Confinement - Members
2. Whoops A Dasiy - Ocean, Humphrey & The Hardy Annuals
3. I've Got A Heart - Realists
4. Baby She's On The Street - Lewie, Jona
5. I Think We're Alone Now - Lovich, Lena
6. Be Stiff - Devo
7. Take The Cash (KASH) - Wreckless Eric
8. Old Rock 'n' Roller - Jupp, Mickey
9. BABY - Sweet, Rachel
10. Lucky Number - Lovich, Lena
11. Who Listens To The Radio - Sports
12. Gimme Your Heart - Subs
13. Frozen Years - Rumour
14. I Go To Pieces - Sweet, Rachel
15. Say When - Lovich, Lena
16. One Step Beyond - Madness
17. You Caught Me Out - MacColl, Kirsty
18. Out Of Luck - Pointed Sticks
19. Lie To Me - Dirty Looks
20. You'll Always Find Me In The Kitchen At Parties - Lewie, Jona
21. Yesterday's Love - Any Trouble
22. Butcher Baby - Plasmatics
23. We Got The Beat - Go-Go's
24. Drive Friendly - Motor Boys Motor
25. Please Don't Bend - Dekker, Desmond
26. Buena - Carrasco, Joe 'King' & The Crowns

DISC3

1. Girls Are Always Right - Any Trouble
2. Baby Come Back - Equators
3. Thunderbird - Dixon, Nigel
4. Stop The Cavalry - Lewie, Jona
5. What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted - Stewart, Dave & Colin Blunstone
6. Swords Of A Thousand Men - Tenpole Tudor
7. Going Left Right - Department S
8. Do You Believe In The Westworld - Theatre Of Hate
9. Wunderbar - Tenpole Tudor
10. Pretend - Alvin Stardust
11. It's My Party - Stewart, Dave & Barbara Gaskin
12. Loud Music In Cars - Bremner, Billy
13. Lost Platoon - Dancing Did
14. Language Problems - Electric Guitars
15. Danube - Novik, Bridget & M
16. Clapping Song - Belle Stars
17. Who Likes Jazz - Via Vagabond
18. Sign Of The Times - Belle Stars
19. Breakaway - Ullman, Tracey
20. I Love You - Yello
21. Hayrick Song - Eddie Tenpole Tudor
22. Like Dust - Passion Puppets
23. They Don't Know - Ullman, Tracey

DISC4

1. Terry - MacColl, Kirsty
2. Pick Me Up - Inspirational Choir Of The Pentecostal First-Born Church Of The Living God
3. Move Over Darling - Ullman, Tracey
4. Dark Streets Of London - Pogues
5. New England - MacColl, Kirsty
6. Pair Of Brown Eyes - Pogues
7. Free Yourself - Untouchables
8. Here Is My Number - Makin' Time
9. I Spy (For The FBI) - Untouchables
10. Dirty Old Town - Pogues
11. Religious Persuasion - White, Andy
12. Only Love Can Break Your Heart - Mint Juleps
13. Brilliant Mind - Furniture
14. Don't Wait Up - Dr. Feelgood
15. Killer Joe (Right Cross) - Chase, Tommy
16. Whenever I'm Gone - Prisoners
17. Irish Rover - Pogues & Dubliners
18. Dancin' All Night - Enemy
19. What Is Woman - Eskimo Disco
20. Barking Up The Right Tree - Producers
21. Broken Houses - Tranzmitors
22. That Sound - Any Trouble
23. Wit And The Wisdom Of Ronald Reagan (extract) - Reagan, Ronald

ISPYSHHHGUY

Re: What CD/Vinyl Did you Buy Today?

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

a real bargain you got there, Steel: I loved the quirkiness of Stiff records in the later 70s, and I bought this set when it came out, though I honestly can't remember what it cost: a bit more than £12.50, though!

You won't be disappointed with this purchase, I guarantee......

Can anyone guess on the content of 'the wit and wisdom of Ronald Raegan?' [last item].

In my city there are only 2 surviving record stores; one independent, the other is HMV. A real shame, but even I am buying cds online now. Also sites like spotify pipe out 'free' music and if you have decent speakers plugged in, the results are fine.....pity about them damned adverts, though.......

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Need You Now by Lady Antebellum. They are a polished country trio from the States. They are becoming known now in this country and are interrupting a six-month American tour (June to November) and fly into London from Toronto for a single performance at the Shepherd's Bush Empire on August 11th before continuing their tour in Springfield, Illinois on the 13th. Tickets are like gold dust. Guess who's got two.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

A couple of weeks ago I purchased a few cds in Deptford flea market for a fiver each - some were double cd sets so a bargain - I got the best of the Doors, best of the Byrds, best of the Moody Blues and a Capital Gold Blues set - all double cds, plus Best of the Herd, best of Moody Blues (earlier pre Hayward and Lodge era) a BB King cd and The Beatles' Hard Days Night and Rubber Soul albums. There is a great second hand cd stall there as well as a second hand DVD stall. I have never downloaded a song - prefer the physical item. But I do throw away those awful plastic jewel cases and put my cds and the covers into plastic wallets and store them all in special cd storage boxes you can get from Poundstretcher etc. I don't know who came up with the idea of jewel cases but I think a simple cardboard sleeve in a protective plastic wallet is much nicer. I do the same with my DVDs - lot less space taken up and they also do the storage boxes in DVD size.

I should point out I already have all the Doors and Moody Blues albums but sometimes its nice to just listen to the best stuff.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I also have never downloaded a song, Steve.....alongside my record of never actually owning a mobile 'phone, this is the route I intend sticking to.

Raven

Post by Raven »

I bought - for £2.00 - the 1969 7" 'Don't Shut Me Out' by Underground Sunshine. A bit of an obscurity, but it can be found on YouTube; it's very groovy.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:a real bargain you got there, Steel: I loved the quirkiness of Stiff records in the later 70s, and I bought this set when it came out, though I honestly can't remember what it cost: a bit more than £12.50, though!

You won't be disappointed with this purchase, I guarantee......

Can anyone guess on the content of 'the wit and wisdom of Ronald Raegan?' [last item].
ISPY I have about 50 7" singles on the Stiff Label but their's loads I haven't got on these cds I played disc 1 today it's nice to hear guitar bands, I haven't played the Ronald Reagan yet.

Phoenix wrote:Need You Now by Lady Antebellum. Tickets are like gold dust. Guess who's got two.
Just played it on youtube it doesn't sound like the country I've heard not that I've heard much anyway, it sounds OK, you should have a good night.

Raven wrote:I bought - for £2.00 - the 1969 7" 'Don't Shut Me Out' by Underground Sunshine. A bit of an obscurity, but it can be found on YouTube; it's very groovy.
I have to say I've never heard of this before and played it on youtube quite psychedelic.

Can you embed youtube videos all I get is text I've seen on other sites phpBB where you get a picture of the video and just click on on it to play the video.
Has this site got BBCoding? to be able to do it?
They have a video on youtube showing you how to do the codes for a phpBB board forum.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote: Can anyone guess on the content of 'the wit and wisdom of Ronald Raegan?' [last item].
This track was the highlight of the box set. :wink:

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

For the uninitiated;

'the Wit and Wisdom of Ronald Raegan was a 1980 Stiff long-player release:

side one : The Wit of Ronald Raegan

side two; The Wisdom of Ronald Raegan

both sides were blank, silent vinyl!

This idea had been done before: the 'Sound of Free Speech' by CRASS around 1979.....whaddya mean, you've never heard of Crass!?

Steelclaw: I remember the stiff '45s were named BUY1, etc, and the albums were numbered SEEZ 1, etc. SEEZ 1 was Damned, Damned, Damned: quite possibly my favourite punk platter of all time.

NEW ROSE by the Damned [the first-ever UK punk '45 ] was deleted as early as 1978, and very hard to get hold of at one point.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote: This idea had been done before: the 'Sound of Free Speech' by CRASS around 1979.....whaddya mean, you've never heard of Crass!?

Steelclaw: I remember the stiff '45s were named BUY1, etc, and the albums were numbered SEEZ 1, etc. SEEZ 1 was Damned, Damned, Damned: quite possibly my favourite punk platter of all time.

NEW ROSE by the Damned [the first-ever UK punk '45 ] was deleted as early as 1978, and very hard to get hold of at one point.
I bought Damned, Damned, Damned album with the mispress of Eddie & The Hotrods on the back cover for £10 when it came out, it's worth quite a lot now.

I have most of Crass singles and albums plus most of the crass record label releases they were cheap and had great posters and stickers etc.I loved them never saw them though.

Imagehttp://www.southern.com/southern/band/CRASS/

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I'm amazed you were into Crass after being a diehard RAK/Mickie Most collector, Steelclaw!

The early 70s were great for 'manufactured' , big-selling pop, but the late 70s were probably more healthy, with more diversity, due mainly to Stiff and other small labels putting out riskier stuff.

CRASS were probably the ultimate DIY act/band/phenomenon: no censorship, very cheap vinyl: FEEDING/STATIONS/CHRIST the album were all great, and BLOODY REVOLUTIONS the '45 was deservedly top of the independent charts in Sounds, etc for much of 1980.

Their records were cheap on account that they never paid any tax to the Revenue......they got done on this later on, but I doubt if there was any money in the coffers!

Must agree, great artwork in Crass releses: some 'shock' tactics, surely, but very memorable from this period.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

here's a good example of Crass artwork, circa the pull-out of Bloody Revolutions, in summer 1980:

All the more remarkable for being done with a scalpel/airbrush/photocopy facilities: no photoshop in them thar days!

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:I'm amazed you were into Crass after being a diehard RAK/Mickie Most collector, Steelclaw!

The early 70s were great for 'manufactured' , big-selling pop, but the late 70s were probably more healthy, with more diversity, due mainly to Stiff and other small labels putting out riskier stuff.

CRASS were probably the ultimate DIY act/band/phenomenon: no censorship, very cheap vinyl: FEEDING/STATIONS/CHRIST the album were all great, and BLOODY REVOLUTIONS the '45 was deservedly top of the independent charts in Sounds, etc for much of 1980.

Their records were cheap on account that they never paid any tax to the Revenue......they got done on this later on, but I doubt if there was any money in the coffers!

Must agree, great artwork in Crass releses: some 'shock' tactics, surely, but very memorable from this period.
ISPY Crass are just the tip of the iceberg I have a lot of weird and wonderful stuff from 1977 to now, loads of DIY, I have around 1500 Punk/New Wave records from 1976/82 of the 6000 singles I have,I even got into cassette only releases from 1979/80, ever heard of Danny & The Dressmakers they're brilliant. :P

I only really started collecting all the records on the RAK label around 10 years ago when I kept seeing them for sale in charity shops for 10p and it gave me something to do and look out for and it came a bit of an obession for a while, I still need 37 out of 272 that were released.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I bought most of the early Crass stuff but they struck me as being a bunch of middle class trendy lefties, much preferred Discharge who practically invented Thrash metal. They never disappointed. "Two Monstrous Nuclear Stockpiles" anyone?

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Yep I liked Dischage I have these in my collection
Why( 12" EP)
Decontrol 7"
Fight back 7"
Realities of war 7"