Play School memories

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Peter Gray

Play School memories

Post by Peter Gray »

Play School

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... ay_School/

Very interesting to listen to there views..
how they had facial and eye contact at the camera so it went directly to the child watching..expressions as we know are very powerful...

Hamble was an awful doll :) I liked the two teds and Humpty best..

I also agree with them that it still could work well as a program today..

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Re: Play School memories

Post by colcool007 »

Peter Gray wrote:Play School

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... ay_School/

Very interesting to listen to there views..
how they had facial and eye contact at the camera so it went directly to the child watching..expressions as we know are very powerful...

Hamble was an awful doll :) I liked the two teds and Humpty best..

I also agree with them that it still could work well as a program today..
It was a good R4 program. I caught it as I was driving to a car boot on Sunday. I felt like I lost 30 odd years as I listened to Baroness Benjamin and Toni Arthur. :D. As to the toys, I think my favourite was Big Ted.

It is also available in a new incarnation. I challenge anyone over a certain age to watch Tikkabilla and not think of Playschool.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

DJDogfart

Post by DJDogfart »

That was great! I always forget about R4.
Interesting parity here regarding how kids (or the world around them) have changed in the intervening years; It seems that, in exactly the same way as comics, kids have found a different way to gain information and reading skills etc. As the technology has changed, parents have access to an incredibly diverse number of mediums with which their children can be entertained. With pre-school, it would seem totally parent driven, but, once at school, kids are exposed to the internet and computer games instantly, they have no need for a weekly comic, or perhaps, a 15 minute programme that, 20 years ago, was aimed squarely at them. I agree with the presenters that kids under five haven't changed greatly; Thier parents inevitably have, as had our own parents from the generation before. I feel lucky to have been born when I was (1969). As Andrew Marr says, you can draw a line in the sand in 1979 when modern Britain was born. Obviously it didn't happen overnight but, before then, we still relied on more quaint methods of living, I think we got our first telephone around then, and in '76 we just got our first colour television; a microwave oven was like something from space etc...
Playschool was splendid, and for the record, I was a Humpty man! (never could stand Hamble though - devil doll.)
Scccrrruunnge

Tonibunny

Post by Tonibunny »

Hamble always looked like she needed a good wash. Blegh.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Humpty was often kicked around like a Rugby ball by the presenters...
very hard to resist... :mrgreen:

Also the presenters said the toys never sat up..they always flopped down..
Now if only they weighted them down inside the toy..would have solved the problem...

Doh!

I like presenters acting silly..Play Away was another favourite..

Tonibunny

Post by Tonibunny »

I adored Brian Cant, he was like my dream perfect daddy. Awwww :D

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Wonder what TONI ARTHUR looks like now?