Snow chaos

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Peter Gray

Re: Snow chaos

Post by Peter Gray »

Third day inside..one roll left..though glad I did the food shopping just before we have crackers!!..Carol may try and walk to the corner shop today..

The snow is thicker today!!

Hope everyone is fine..
phew I got home after driving at 10-5mph on the A3 from Chichester to Guildford..on Tuesday..found out I sold 70 cards each Month..2 Months in..
the car wouldn't stop when braking so very difficult swerving a bit..
Getting into the drive i nearly got stuck..which would have blocked the avenue...reversed then revved and got moving and parked..

Dug up the path.now its snowing a bit...Doh! Will dig it up again.don't want it turning to ice!!

Hope everyone is alright..

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

grumpy old man wrote:But there was no-one about! The main roads had been gritted and were clear but everyone had decided to take the day off. It was like a Sunday! Don’t people have to work for a living?
Perhaps they had taken their bows and arrows into Sherwood Forest to shoot a few deer and stock up their freezers before the weather gets really rough. :D

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Terrible isn't who would have thought Snow in Winter. :P

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

steelclaw, technically it's still Autumn...

:censored: I'm in trouble. My mum asked me to put some of her clothes in the washing machine. When it finished, it was still full of water and flooded the kitchen! The snow must've blocked the bloomin' pipes! :evil:

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Digifiend wrote:steelclaw, technically it's still Autumn...

:censored: I'm in trouble. My mum asked me to put some of her clothes in the washing machine. When it finished, it was still full of water and flooded the kitchen! The snow must've blocked the bloomin' pipes! :evil:
Hey you could make a Ice Rink on the kitchen floor leave the doors open.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

:lol: Actually, I did once have an ice rink in the kitchen... back in December 1995, we were about to move house, but somebody stole the boiler on a freezing cold night, thus flooding the ground floor, which had frozen before we discovered the problem. In the end, my mum gave the keys back to the city council, and we moved to a different house three months later instead, the one I'm in now.

As for my present predicament, I've mopped it up. The washing will have to wait until the snow melts.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Digifiend wrote:The washing will have to wait until the snow melts.
Why can you not pour very hot water just on the localised area where your pipes are, Digi, and melt some of the snow that way? You could also try pouring hot water, a bit at a time, obviously, down the outlet pipe from the washing machine. Perhaps a neighbour could watch the outer end of the pipe to see whether, or when, that water is flowing freely into your grid. I only mention this because I clearly remember the freeze of 1962/63, when the snow didn't melt for months. In Birmingham at least, there was still ice on some pavements the following May.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Phoenix wrote:I clearly remember the freeze of 1962/63, when the snow didn't melt for months.
Me too. The funny thing is that I don't recall missing a single day of school during the entire period...! :?

- Phil R.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

I don't remember missing much school either when we had snow...

Here, it's definitely not warm. But thankfully, most of the roads have been cleared. Alas, the one on our estate hasn't... It's not quite a skating rink, but it's not far off. Currently driving on that piece of highway with only the power aggregation from having the car in gear as I don't want to go too fast. Most main roads are clear and I have only see one car have an unfortunate disagreement with a signpost due to the weather conditions.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Phoenix wrote:I clearly remember the freeze of 1962/63, when the snow didn't melt for months. In Birmingham at least, there was still ice on some pavements the following May.
:shock: Seriously!?!

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Digifiend wrote:
Phoenix wrote:I clearly remember the freeze of 1962/63, when the snow didn't melt for months. In Birmingham at least, there was still ice on some pavements the following May.
:shock: Seriously!?!
It was a very strange year. Hereabouts the snow came on Boxing Day then refused to budge until about Easter - and oddly enough the Winter's final bastions tended to be compacted lumps of ice that had started out as jolly snowmen we'd built in December! :)

- Phil R.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

To give some idea of the severity of the weather conditions I referred to earlier, here are a few selected quotes from the 1962/63 Football Diary retrospective which appeared in the 1963/64 News of the World and Empire News Football Annual.
Dec. 22-26 : Fog, snow and ice disrupted the Christmas match programme. On the Saturday 12 Football League and 6 Scottish games were cancelled and 8 more abandoned. On Boxing Day 19 English matches were postponed and 3 abandoned.
Dec. 29 : Continued bad weather brought soccer to a near standstill - 35 of 45 league games postponed, plus 7 matches in Scotland. Pools coupons declared void.
Jan. 5 : Soccer almost snowed up. Only 3 of the 32 Third Round ties played. All 9 Football League games and half the Scottish fixtures postponed. Pools coupons again void.
Jan. 6 : With 135 fixtures now outstanding, League Management Committee asked F.A. to extend the season beyond May 4th, Cup Final day.
Jan. 12 : Worst weather day in Football League history to date - only 4 out of 46 matches played.
Jan. 19 : Arctic conditions created new record of postponed games, with 54 English and Scottish League matches off and 2 others abandoned.
Jan. 22 : Pools Promoters Association announced revolutionary beat-the-weather plan - a panel of experts to decide the 'results' of the matches NOT played.
Jan. 26 : Pools Panel of experts operated for the first time.
Jan. 28 : Season extended to May 18. Draw for F.A. Cup Fifth Round postponed.
Feb. 2 : For seventh successive Saturday soccer severely hit. 4 Football League and 4 Scottish games played. Since December 22, 385 League and Cup matches lost.
Feb. 9 : Another lost weekend although grounds are slowly thawing.
Feb. 16 : 50 matches off.
Feb. 18 : F.A. Cup committee put the Cup Final back to May 25, so adding another week to the season.
Feb. 23 : Best soccer Saturday so far - 24 Football League and 3 Scottish matches played.
March 2 : Only 15 English and 11 Scottish games postponed.
March 9 : For the first time since December 8, a complete Football League programme.
May 25 : F.A. Cup Final played.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

So that's the origin of the Pools Panel. Never knew it's creation had to do with the weather.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

I think it is worth pointing out that during this period Football and Scottish League teams regularly drafted in teams of supporters to help them defrost the pitches, and also used braziers and some more expensive equipment to give them every chance of fulfilling their next fixture. The fact that they failed so often is a clear indication of just how severe the frost was and how a thaw of the ice was a distant dream. However, the leagues that suffered the most were those whose fixtures were normally played on recreation grounds and public parks because they didn't get any help at all. That season I played outside right for Swallows Meadow in the Solihull Youth League (under 21s). There were twelve teams in that league so 22 games should have been played. Postponements were such a regular occurrence, however, that the League Management Committee took the pragmatic decision to cut the season short, an average of only 12 or 13 fixtures having been fulfilled. When the weather improved, all the Cup competitions went ahead. We'd gone off the boil by that time though. See below.
Attachments
SolihullYL.jpg

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Peter Gray wrote:on Tuesday..found out I sold 70 cards each Month..2 Months
How much did you make then, was it £140 very good. :cheers: