News of the World is history!

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

dreamticket

Re: News of the World is history!

Post by dreamticket »

Digifiend wrote:No, thanks largely to the Murdochs looking after their top woman. Rebekah Brooks (nee Wade) was NoW editor when all this was going on, yet she's kept her job as News International chief executive. If she got the deserved sack, I bet she'd have a lot of stories to tell the police. She would very likely be going down for a long stretch at Her Majesty's pleasure. This investigation will be going on for months or even years, but sooner or later, they'll discover the truth. And the truth is that the wrong guys are in the dole queue.
Brookes has the look of a woman who wouldn't go quietly about her. Be interesting to see if Coulson will keep quiet if there's any chance at all he has to do some real time.

I just hope the new inquiry doesn't turn into a hunt to find the lowest man on the totem pole.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Looks like the Fabulous magazine team kept their jobs!
@fabulousmag Twitter wrote:Fabulous magazine continues despite the sad closure of the News of the World. More info soon.
http://twitter.com/#!/fabulousmag

I guess it's either switching days, or the Sun on Sunday will be launching without much delay. I'd be very surprised if it's rescue isn't thanks to The Sun.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Ms Brookes has finally gone! Murdoch himself, just seems to be totally oblivious to just how `reviled` both he and his organisation are now viewed by many in the UK.
A Face unclouded by thought.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Murdoch looks ancient: all that loot, and his days are numbered.

A bit like the lottery winners: 161 M at 64 years old!!!
Last edited by ISPYSHHHGUY on 15 Jul 2011, 19:07, edited 1 time in total.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Looks like the pressure is beginning to pay off as Brooks has now resigned. However, it doesn't stop her from being number one favourite to crack in next week's "Let's chat with the MPs"...
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Good riddance to Rebekah. Should've happened eight days ago.

Niblet

Post by Niblet »

I liked the comment attributed to the Dowler's solictor, about the news that Brooks had resigned, "Every dog has its day, and Rebekah Brooks is that dog".

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Latest news is that there will be a red-top Mail on Sunday light next week. Everyone's trying to win those former NOTW readers.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Yeah, I read about that on Digital Spy. Says that it'll be called either Sunday Lite or just The Sunday. A bit odd though, since they don't have a red top daily.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Just seen someone is selling the first (facsimile) and last issues of the News of the World on ebay - only one million pounds (free postage though so you save a couple of quid there). Someone has a more realistic £49.99 for the last issue on its own.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

stevezodiac wrote:Just seen someone is selling the first (facsimile) and last issues of the News of the World on ebay - only one million pounds
And I thought I'd already seen the most insultingly idiotic eBay auction ever, which was some guy trying to sell sixteen issues of The Wizard, 1029 [Jul. 24 1943] - 1044 [Feb. 19 1944], for £1000. The lure? The run just encompasses the first printing of The Truth About Wilson. They are worth £100 at best.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

I once saw somebody trying to sell a Sexton Blake story for £60... the first one from The Halfpenny Marvel in 1893? No, one of the last ones from a 1967 paperback. I might stretch to paying £1.60 for one!