News of the World is history!

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Digifiend

News of the World is history!

Post by Digifiend »

:shock: News of the World is folding this weekend after over 160 years thanks to the hacking scandal. What the hell News Corp, you should be sacking the staff responsible, not closing the paper! Rebekah Brooks's head should've rolled.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14070733

Jonny Whizz

Re: News of the World is history!

Post by Jonny Whizz »

The News of the World is going, but from what I've read elsewhere it will probably come back as 'the Sun on Sunday'. I think it's News Corp's attempt to halt the outcry by stopping the paper that caused the scandal.

In truth, I don't particular care about either of those two papers, because I don't read the tabloids, but then again I usually get the Times so...
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

And the Times is owned by News Corp too. Like I said though, stopping the paper wasn't the answer. I can see it backfiring.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

The Sunday red tops are just celebrity gossip rags and of little interest to the more intelligent reader. I am surprised that i'm not bothered by its demise as I like things that are traditionally British but the News of the World lost me as a reader decades ago as it had little worth reading in it any longer. I don't buy any Sunday papers any more apart from the occasional Sunday Post but even that has alienated me by no longer having the traditional cut-out and fold-in-half Broons/Oor Wullie section.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

I can't imagine it'll be Murdoch's wisest move to anger 200 journalists. Expect the knives to fly after they get their redundancy.

The Sun on Sunday is the expected title for the replacement but it sounds very awkward and I can't help feeling they've missed the obvious title: SunDay. Unless that's already taken.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

There's a paper called the Sunday Sun already. And NoW's magazine used to be called Sunday. Sun on Sunday is the only logical name, and they apparently already registered a web address.

DJDogfart

Post by DJDogfart »

What about 'World of the News' ??!!
Scccrrruunnge

Niblet

Post by Niblet »

Making next Sunday's NOTW an 'all profits to charity issue' is purely cynical manipulation. As Newscorp felt that it was appropriate to end publication, they should have cancelled the paper with immediate effect and made a donation to charity (if they could find a charity that would accept the tainted cash).

Will the final issue have an 'Exciting news inside for all readers!' headline?

I can smugly say that I have never read NOTW, so were there any strips in the paper?

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Niblet wrote: I can smugly say that I have never read NOTW, so were there any strips in the paper?
No, but there's usually quite a lot of stripping...

DJDogfart

Post by DJDogfart »

Niblet wrote: Will the final issue have an 'Exciting news inside for all readers!' headline?
Seriously, that would make my Sunday!!
Scccrrruunnge

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

The NEWS of the WORLD was very entertaining, if aimed at the 'baser' instincts of human nature: it's scandalous reportage attracted old-age pensioners and punk rockers alike.

I myself was an avid reader of the News of the Screws throughout the 1980s, and was entertained by it's no-holds-barred, shamelessly sensationalist outlook from an early age. I don't remember much in the way of strips, but there was a long-running colour pull-out supplement from 1981 onwards that featured colour strips: a lot of American syndicate stuff like Hagar the Horrible .

It was a rash decision to axe it totally, although a clone Murdoch replacement will likely hit the stands before other charlatans can get their oar in.

I might buy the final edish this Sunday fer old time's sake. Hope it's a 'greatest hits' job!!!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Niblet wrote:I can smugly say that I have never read NOTW, so were there any strips in the paper?
Not currently, but it used to have Hagar the Horrible in the paper, and Sunday magazine had a comic strip page in around 1994, which included a Mighty Morphin Power Rangers strip (adapted from TV episodes - it took them months to get through one episode!). I can't remember what the other Sunday magazine strips were.

If they do launch a Sun on Sunday as a replacement, then unlike NoW it probably would have comic strips - well, Hagar at least.

STARBOY

Post by STARBOY »

Good riddance to it as far as I am concerned its just a pity rags like the the Sport and Mail on Sunday aren't joining that list (IMHO) - without a doubt in a few weeks/months a new "News of the World" will appear probably the "Sun on Sunday" (rather than the Sunday Sun similar to the Mail calling itself Mail on Sunday, I think because the Scottish Sunday Mail had that name first) will appear - I have no problems with "celeb type papers" even one that are a bit "risky" just don't keep plumbing the depths on every issue, then again if folk didn't buy it they wouldn't publish the trashy headlines, or is that a cop out??

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Correct, the Mail on Sunday is called that because the Sunday Mail already existed, and so does the Sunday Sun, hence the rumoured name of Sun on Sunday.

As for the Sport, that did close a few months ago (publisher went bust) but it relaunched a few weeks later under new owners.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

STARBOY wrote:Good riddance to it as far as I am concerned its just a pity rags like the the Sport and Mail on Sunday aren't joining that list (IMHO) - without a doubt in a few weeks/months a new "News of the World" will appear probably the "Sun on Sunday" (rather than the Sunday Sun similar to the Mail calling itself Mail on Sunday, I think because the Scottish Sunday Mail had that name first) will appear - I have no problems with "celeb type papers" even one that are a bit "risky" just don't keep plumbing the depths on every issue, then again if folk didn't buy it they wouldn't publish the trashy headlines, or is that a cop out??
Starboy, I would rather read the Sport as it is a damn sight more honest about what it is reporting on than any tabloid you could care to mention. And I hate to join the cynical crowd, but I can't see it being long before NOTW reappears under a different name as all publicity is good if it sells papers.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!