The Children's Newspaper

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

stevezodiac

Re: The Children's Newspaper

Post by stevezodiac »

My mum had to push a pram filled with a sack of coal up several flights of stairs back in the fifties just before I was born.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

philcom55 wrote:Sadly I never knew my Grandfather but no doubt he'd have had something to say about the joys of rickets.
Well Phil, in those difficult WW1 days of not having two pennies to rub together, your grandfather would have been reassured by the fact that at least the rickets came free of charge. :)

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

My Aunt Rose had eleven kids in the 40s and 50s and no child benefit in those days.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

I did wonder a while back if starting a "newspaper for kids" would be a way to get a predominantly black and white, serialised adventure comic back on sale "by the back door". For the first few months put real news on the cover and the strips inside, then when a major event happens in a strip put that on the cover (like TV21), then just leave it there... :wink:

Also earlier today I was reading a writer lamenting that "these days kids boss their parents and waste the time of magistrates"... it was in the first edition of Boys Will Be Boys from 1948!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

There is a current children's newspaper on sale but I can't remember the title - i saw it on sale a few weeks ago but it could have folded since then.

Just checked on google and its called First News.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Yeah, WHSmith sell it, been out a couple of years I think. Basically a print version of CBBC Newsround.