The end of Highland Toffee?

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Digifiend

The end of Highland Toffee?

Post by Digifiend »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-15001428
McGowans, makers of Highland Toffee and Wham chew bars, have gone into administration. If they don't find a buyer, it'll be the end for those much loved chew bars commonly used as comic free gifts in years gone by. :(

ISPYSHHHGUY

Re: The end of Highland Toffee?

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Is that the toffee that used to stretch like plastic as you drew it away from your teeth?

I used to love that stuff! You used to get flavoured versions as well...

I have to buy some bars if they are still available, for old times's sake.

The last time I bought them, they probably cost a few pence each.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

You used to be able to get (In the 60s) Banana flavoured ice lollies with soft toffee centres! Lovely! Anyone else remember them?
A Face unclouded by thought.

Niblet

Post by Niblet »

alanultron5 wrote:You used to be able to get (In the 60s) Banana flavoured ice lollies with soft toffee centres! Lovely! Anyone else remember them?
Lord Toffingham - darn tasty!

http://www.thoseweleftbehind.co.uk/2008 ... proof.html

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

what about 'Lolly Gobble Choc Bomb' from the same era, or Woppas fro the 60s-early 70s.

Totally agree about 'Lord Toffingham' ice lollies being delicious, guys!

A good enough reason in itself to invent a time machine........

Jay

Post by Jay »

Are the Wham bars the pink things with little fizzy-sherberty bits in it?

Also by McCowans...

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I used to like the Palm Toffee bars in the 60s and 70s they had a chocolate, strawberry or banana centre. I also remember Milk Tray bars and Fry's chocolate sandwich. Spanish Gold - packets of edible rolling tobacco!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Jay wrote:Are the Wham bars the pink things with little fizzy-sherberty bits in it?
That's right.

STARBOY

Post by STARBOY »

According to the Glasgow Evening Times it It looks like they may be saved as an invester is going to err invest - amazed its in trouble when it sell 11 million bars of its toffee a year, maybe the lack of free sweeties in comics has had its effects.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

By sheer luck I found an advert for Palm Toffee Bars in a copy School Friend by my pc.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I always worry about small firms eg Tunnocks who produce those caramel wafers when you see supermarket own brand versions in very similar wrappers but a lot cheaper. Tesco sells its own spreadable butter in a tub with the same colour scheme as Lurpack. And how many variations are there of "I can't believe its not butter" I'm surprised there isn't a Scottish version called "I Dinna Ken Its Nae Butter"

STARBOY

Post by STARBOY »

BUTTER!! that's for Jessie's its way too healthy in Scotland we use lard on oor pieces mon! - Tunnocks are pretty safe I reckon they sell millions of all their products and (IMHO at least) they are excellent and other copies are just not the same - I think as it has a low unit cost it get brand loyalty. Never heard of Palm Toffee is that an English based sweet (or is the name based on Palm oil being in the product?)

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

STARBOY wrote:According to the Glasgow Evening Times it It looks like they may be saved as an invester is going to err invest
Glad to hear that.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

As you can see from the ad they were based in West London but the bars disappeared in the 70s or 80s. I used to walk over Tower Bridge a few years back and would pass the Paynes building - they made those boxes of Toffets which I think are still available. I'm surprised Fry's Orange Cream is still going as I don't know anyone who buys it. I'll be going to Tesco this afternoon so will buy some Tunnocks bars for my lunch box. The one thing I hated was flying saucers - the way they squeaked between your teeth was like fingernails on a blackboard to me - I had a similar aversion to polystyrene and had to grit my teeth when mates found some and rubbed it on the wall to make little white flakes.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Toffets got renamed Toffee Poppets some time ago (they've changed the packaging three times since then). Poppets also come in mint, raisin, and cookie versions.
http://www.poppets.co.uk/our-range/ - shows the current flavours
http://www.poppets.co.uk/about-poppets/ - shows various past packaging, and mentions the Dandy!