David Croft leave your tribute here

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Peter Gray

David Croft leave your tribute here

Post by Peter Gray »

Just watched Hi de hi and still has funny as ever..also like Allo allo..etc..

also watched my first Ain't half hot mum on youtube to see a whole episode...its very of the time period of World War 2 so very brave and accurate..a bit like Allo Allo...I'm glad there were Indian actors in the program as well...other than the actor that had to look like one...though he does a good job..I was surprised how well they did this for when it was made in the 70's..it did make me smile..so I would watch more..

:cheers: to David Croft and what wonderful programs he has left us to enjoy..

What I liked about his programs that everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves...a good gang comedy like Bilko is..

ISPYSHHHGUY

Re: David Croft leave your tribute here

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

'It Ain't Half Hot Mum' would likely be seen as racist today, with it's blackfaced Indian character who used to address the TV audience. Michael Bates played this role, he's unrecognizable as the bawling middle-aged prison guard in A Clockwork Orange.

It was an innocent show at the time though!

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

I know there was a Dad's Army strip in Look-in and Fast forward mag had Allo Allo were there any others?

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

A couple of today's papers had tribute pages including a two page effort that gave the catchphrases from each series. Am I the only one who became a bit tired of Clive Dunn's Corporal Jones character? "Permission to speak, Sir!" got on my nerves after a while and "I'd like to volunteer..." as well. But superb performances all round even down to the Verger Mr Yateman who was a crackpot - his facial expressions were wonderful.

Niblet

Post by Niblet »

David Croft has certainly left a fantastic legacy of classic British sitcoms. He was clever in setting comedies in earlier times, so that they were period pieces even on the first broadcast, and in a funny way they never dated - Dad's Army is still being shown today, whereas Monty Python, for example, looks very dated now.

Even Are You Being Served?, one of my faves, was set in a department store, a type of shop that was almost extinct at the time of production.

-MikeD-

Post by -MikeD- »

stevezodiac wrote:A couple of today's papers had tribute pages including a two page effort that gave the catchphrases from each series. Am I the only one who became a bit tired of Clive Dunn's Corporal Jones character? "Permission to speak, Sir!" got on my nerves after a while and "I'd like to volunteer..." as well. But superb performances all round even down to the Verger Mr Yateman who was a crackpot - his facial expressions were wonderful.
Yeah...it's funny, but many a pub conversation has centered around whether Dad's Army would have been the all time perfect sitcom if Corporal Jones hadn't been there. The comedy seems a little forced when he's doing his broad 'don't panic!' bit. But, I guess we mean the perfect modern sitcom...
My new art blog...beta version... http://mikedcuk.blogspot.co.uk

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

He was my favourite character in Dads Army as a kid..so appeals more to the young..

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I think I must have been virtually alone in liking his lyrics for the long-forgotten musical based on HG Wells' Ann Veronica.

Dad's Army also appeared in TV Comic btw Peter.

- Phil Rushton

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

If you got time Phil could you please :) put up a scan of Dads Army from Tv Comic which I could then use as a blog post..credit to you..

Just looked at my few Fast Forwards and don't have a Allo Allo to use either..so if anyone can help..thank you..

I've put up Wow's Hi de hi ho de hoooo by Rob Lee...which is a disguised version of the tv series. the characters are slightly different...they obviously didn't want to get done by copyright..

a rough looking off model of Ted...Gladys..Peggy as ghosts..

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Couldn't find any TV Comics from the right period Peter, but here's a Peter Ford page from its companion title TV Action.

As for spin-off series you might want to check out 'Kids' Army' from DC Thomson's Tops.

- Phil Rushton

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

I don't have any Tv Tops...
But thank for the example above all lovely in character..

http://petergraycartoonsandcomics.blogs ... hanks.html

:)

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

There were a couple of Dad's Army Annuals which I had or have. Not sure if I sold them on ebay. I can't lay my hands on my TV Comics - had a root around in the cupboard but no joy. I know they are here somewhere.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Peter Gray wrote:I don't have any Tv Tops...
Here's an example of Kids' Army from Tops no.2:

I know it's only tangentially related to David Croft but the Dad's Army connection is specifically mentioned in the header (in fact it's the only thing that really justifies the strip's inclusion in a comic based around TV shows and personalities). Also it's exceptionally well drawn imho; anybody recognize the artist?

- Phil Rushton

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

...And finally, in spite of this supposedly being a non-comics discussion, here's an example of Bill Titcombe's version of Dad's Army from TV Comic, followed by a page of Hi De Hi from TV Tops:

- Phil Rushton

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Good one Phil...Tv Tops looks tops to me..thanks for this..
I'll use it as a blog post or add it to the post I've done later when I have time

Maybe in the comic section we should discuss tv characters in comics has a topic!