Put a Tiger in your Tank!

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

matrix

Put a Tiger in your Tank!

Post by matrix »

Remember these?

Does anybody else have any petrol station giveaways?

Poor old ESSO man has lost his right foot, i think i chewed it off!
Attachments
Tiger.in.your.Tank.jpg

matrix

Re: Put a Tiger in your Tank!

Post by matrix »

These comics were given away by Mobil.
Attachments
Mobil.Comics.Don.Duck.jpg
Mobil.Comic.Mickey.M.jpg

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

I don't remember that promotion, but I do remember the giant tiger posters given away in the 1970's. I was so chuffed to get one.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

matrix

Post by matrix »

I do know what you mean Col, i felt the same receiving the badges and tail.

The Esso man i think is from the early sixties? The badges and tail possibly late sixties?

Niblet

Post by Niblet »

I've got a set of medallion/coin things somewhere, will have to look them out.

One petrol promotion in the 60s offered free clear plastic strips with bullet holes printed on them. The idea was that they could be stuck on the car windscreen to make it look like your dad had just survived a hair-raising encounter with SMERSH, whereas he had actually just driven to the shops for some frozen peas. They were produced as a promotional item for the latest Bond film, possibly Goldfinger (the bullet holes, not the peas).

Niblet

Post by Niblet »

Shell, don't know the year

This is from Esso's World Cup Squad, 1970 set

I've got a full set of one of the series of coins, mounted on the display card, somewhere.

matrix

Post by matrix »

Thanks for those scans Niblet.

I vaguely remember the car set, it is really good to see the 1970 world cup coin i had a set myself, i remember the excitement of receiving those. If you find the full set any chance you could scan them i would like to see them all again.

Are you sure it wasnt the peas!! :lol:

Niblet

Post by Niblet »

I don't think the full set I have is the football one, matrix, but whatever it is, if I eventually locate it, I'll post an image.

This wasn't a freebie at the petrol station forecourt, as far as I remember an ad for The Supercar
Club appeared in TV Comic, and presumably there was an enrolment fee of 2/6 or similar amount. As you can see, the club was run in association with National petrol stations. I think the membership package included a Supercar pilot's licence, but I have lost that. The record is a flexi-disc (though not as flimsy as some) and one side features on one side an adventure with all our Supercar chums, while some smashing Barry Gray choons can be heard on the other. As one might expect, during the adventure story, Supercar and crew have to land at a National petrol station to refuel.

matrix

Post by matrix »

They are nice items to have Niblet, what a classic, thanks for the links. I had to have a laugh especially at Mitch, and the fish tank scene.

Having said that, reading a bit of the history of supercar it was an important part in establishing some of the other classics that a lot of us grew up with.

PS I couldnt help clicking on Hilarious commerial! : :)