The Thriller - The paper with a thousand thrills

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

DJDogfart

The Thriller - The paper with a thousand thrills

Post by DJDogfart »

Firstly, appologies for the rubbish scan!
I have been given seven copies of this magazine - The Thriller. All are from 1931 and a little worse for wear. they are published by Amalgamated Press, Fleetway House, and are text stories in partwork style with 24 pages, and seem to be numbered sequentialy (i.e the copy scanned has pages 506 to 528 printed at the top of the pages. There are illustrations throughout although I haven't had time to read the stories yet. I couldn't find any on the internet and wondered if anyone knows when they started and finished?
They advertise 'next week' in the back so they must have been weekly. Any help would be appreciated...
Attachments
Thriller Scan.jpg
Scccrrruunnge

paw broon

Re: The Thriller - The paper with a thousand thrills

Post by paw broon »

Hi there, DJ,
The Thriller was a great paper and was easily as good as many American adventure pulps and often with better writing. The illos. were regularly menacing, dark, dangerous and well rendered.
As for its run, it started at #1 dated 09/02/1929 and finished with #589 dated May 1940, by which time the title had changed to, "The Thriller Library".
The lead story in #1 is, "Red Aces" by Edgar Wallace, a Mr. Reeder tale, and very good it is too. Many good, competent British writers were represented and there were tales of Blackshirt, The Saint, Mr. Reeder and Mr. Preed as well as lots of standalone adventures. You're correct, it appeared weekly.
A lot of the stories start with a rush and don't stop till they get to the end - no let-up.
Let us know what you stories you have in those issues and whether or not you enjoy them.

DJDogfart

Post by DJDogfart »

Many Thanks Paw, interesting stuff. As soon as I get some time (elusive stuff!) I will give them a look. I always forget that things were still happening 'between the wars'. Sometimes it is a forgotten period...
They do look like ripping yarns!!
Scccrrruunnge

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

I forgot, there are copies of The Thriller on Friardale which can be read and downloaded.
http://www.friardale.co.uk/Thriller/Thriller.htm