Whats on TV.

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

stevezodiac

Whats on TV.

Post by stevezodiac »

Excuse me for being self indulgent but there is a new series on BBC 2 on Wednesday night called The Secret History of Our Streets. I am looking forward to the first edition tomorrow night as it is all about Deptford High Street - having lived in Deptford since 1958 I should find it fascinating viewing. The street in the picture is Albury Street and is still there as are the cornices above the doorways - I was standing in that street on Friday trying to take a modern photo of the same view but, having a new phone, couldn't see clearly how to take the picture. I'll try again on Saturday. The buildings at the end facing you are also still there and are a couple of doors on from Goddard's pie and mash shop. My earliest memories are of going to the high street in the 60s with my Dad when he paid the weekly tv dues - hire purchase I think it was. Also remember seeing a fishmonger chopping up live wriggling eels and going to Saturday morning pictures at Deptford Odeon. I also remember Swan's bookstall next to Deptford station - must have bought hundreds of comics from there in the 60s and 70s.

Also enjoyed the BBC 4 documentary on TV Smith and the Adverts - i bought their first lp when it was released and now have it on my mp3 player. Really wanted to see what Gaye Advert was like now and wasn't disappointed.

Phoenix
Guru

Re: Whats on TV.

Post by Phoenix »

I think it's a fantastic concept, Steve, and I'm definitely looking forward to the series. I will record it and watch it after Lewis.

Jon

Post by Jon »

A huge thank you for bringing this up. Being a local, this will be of great interest to me.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Local? I thought you were in Reading but you often speak about Greenwich market. The programme clashes with my all time favourite tv show - NCIS but thanks to Channel 5+1 I can watch that at 10pm. Anyone who hasn't seen NCIS should tune in - it is a delight. Great two part NCIS comig up on friday night on Five. Jenny's swan song.

Am I the only forum member who buys the Radio Times? I sometimes e-mail the RT editor - he's a fellow Millwall fan.

Jon

Post by Jon »

Haha, I switch between both towns! I'm from Reading but study in Greenwich.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

One of my favourite places is in Greenwich - One Tree Hill - in the park overlooking the Maritime Musuem - you can see the Thames and most of London from up there.

Just googled it and see they've put a fence around the top - probably Health and Safety to stop people pelting down to the bottom. Isn't that what hills are for?

I see there are a few vintage paintings of the view from One Tree Hill and also a tv series of the same name so haven't gone off topic :)