Eric Sykes RIP

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

philcom55

Eric Sykes RIP

Post by philcom55 »

I just heard the sad news that Eric Sykes has died. I'm not sure if many of our younger members will even remember him but, in his day, he was a giant amongst a generation that produced more than its fair share of British comic talent.

The odd thing is that, in spite of all his contemporaries who starred in their own series in papers like Film Fun, Radio Fun, TV Comic, etc., I can't for the life of me remember ever seeing an Eric Sykes comic strip. Can anyone else think of one? Surely there must have been something...! :shock:

- Phil Rushton

Stingray

Re: Eric Sykes RIP

Post by Stingray »

Aww, that's sad news.. He was indeed a British comedy legend, and actor as well. :(
Bear Alley has reference to an Eric Sykes comic strip from TV Express or Comic. But that was just a strip about his life and not an actual series.

You would have thought he would have been approached for a series along the lines of Sykes. Although, if there was once the possibility of a strip I'd expect he'd have loved to have scripted it himself to maintain control but maybe couldn't find the time with all the TV work. Just a thought.
Could certainly imagine a Sykes comic strip working well.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Having only ever seen Sykes the comedian, I remember being utterly blown away by his wonderfully creepy performance as a ghost in 'The Others' a few years ago. A very versatile actor.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Stingray wrote:Could certainly imagine a Sykes comic strip working well.
It would certainly have worked well if Hattie had been with him.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Stingray wrote:Bear Alley has reference to an Eric Sykes comic strip from TV Express or Comic. But that was just a strip about his life and not an actual series.
Gosh! - I'd forgotten all about that. Here's a detail from the issue dated May 20th 1961 (art by Bill Mainwaring):

(Believe it or not there really were jobs like that back in the 1960s!)

For anyone unfamiliar with Eric's oeuvre I'd advise them to try and see his classic short film 'The Plank' when it inevitably gets screened as a tribute to him sometime in the next few days! (Either that or look it up on YouTube...)

- Phil Rushton

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Funnily enough, Eric was mentioned in a Hattie Jacques radio documentary on Radio 2 just last night.....

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

I'm going to read his autobiography..

I love slap-stick..fun..humour he did

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Fans of the great Eric Sykes, who was sadly taken from us earlier this year, might be interested to know that his classic film 'The Plank' is due to be screened on Channel Five at 11.10pm tonight. (Annoyingly I'm working and will have to miss it! :( )

Here's a nice strip about his career that appeared in a 1973 issue of Hornet (though I wouldn't be surprised if it originally appeared elsewhere).

- Phil Rushton

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

The floating head image does look like a more up to date likeness pasted on. Am i right in saying he made The Plank twice - once in black and white and later in colour?

Niblet

Post by Niblet »

Both versions (1967 and 1979) were in colour. The '67 version with Tommy Cooper is of course the best. Both versions are available on DVD.

BBC Radio 4 and Radio 4 Extra are paying tribute to Eric with a number of programmes over Christmas week.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/radio4/posts/Cue-Eric-Sykes

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

Speaking of Hattie Jacques, his partner, I was interested to read she did a quiry action-adventure series called "Miss Adventure", where she played Stacy, who inherits half a run-down private investigation agency, but keeps getting into international espionage cases.

Ran for only one series, but would've made a good long-running picture strip.

Or perhaps inspired a girls' comic strip with a big schoolgirl getting into similar detective scrapes & capers.

(I think Bessie Bunter was about the only big girl playing lead; and I never found these strips funny).

I scribbled one or two ideas for a modern TV version of this series.