Guardians of the Galaxy film

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Muffy

Guardians of the Galaxy film

Post by Muffy »

I loved this film. Has anyone else enjoyed it?

Though from the US comic characters, I was reading about Star Lord in Future Tense (1980) and Rocket Raccoon was a guest in Hulk back in the day. Also back in those days the Guardians of the Galaxy was a failed short-run 1970’s title.

Peter Quill and the others make a really quirky team and I shared in their successes and defeats throughout the movie.

Lots of humour and good for all the family. There are already rumours of a sequel.

Recommended.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy film

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

There's a heck of a lot in this film, with almost every shot an elaborate special effects composite.

Fantastic planetscapes and mayhem from wall to wall.....

the story wasn't no great shakes though.....

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

I loved it, very 'Star Wars', I thought. Rocket, incidentally, was first created as a minor character in an unfinished story called The Sword in the Star in Marvel Preview #7 back in 1976; Star-Lord debuted in issue #4 of the same title.

As far as the original Guardians go (I loved their 70s title), they did get a quite successful second series in the 1970s by Jim Valentino. I'm hoping we'll see versions of more of them in the next film, since we saw Yondu in this one (though I wiish he'd been allowed to keep his head fin).

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I loved it too. The original Guardians debuted as early as 1969 btw in a one-off issue of Marvel Super-Heroes by Arnold Drake and Gene Colan - though this had very little bearing on the current version. Of course, 'Groot' goes way back!

I also enjoyed the post-credits 'surprise' which gave an unexpected tip of the hat to the late Steve Gerber - another writer who'd been associated with the Guardians' original incarnation.

- Phil R.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

philcom55 wrote:the late Steve Gerber
Was he any relation to Ernst and Mary Gerber, the compilers of The Photo-Journal Guide To Comic Books?

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

philcom55 wrote:I loved it too. The original Guardians debuted as early as 1969 btw in a one-off issue of Marvel Super-Heroes by Arnold Drake and Gene Colan - though this had very little bearing on the current version.
Issue #18. I have a copy!
Of course, 'Groot' goes way back!

I also enjoyed the post-credits 'surprise' which gave an unexpected tip of the hat to the late Steve Gerber - another writer who'd been associated with the Guardians' original incarnation.

- Phil R.
I liked Howard's cameo, too, though I gather it provoked mixed reactions. Some younger members of cinema audiences apparently thought it was Donald Duck, and evidence of Disney meddling with the Marvel movies... :roll:

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Muffy wrote:I loved this film. Has anyone else enjoyed it?

Though from the US comic characters, I was reading about Star Lord in Future Tense (1980) and Rocket Raccoon was a guest in Hulk back in the day. Also back in those days the Guardians of the Galaxy was a failed short-run 1970’s title.

Peter Quill and the others make a really quirky team and I shared in their successes and defeats throughout the movie.

Lots of humour and good for all the family. There are already rumours of a sequel.

Recommended.
I really enjoyed it too. The Marvel Studios movies have all been very strong I think, and this one upped the game even more.

I must admit, when I was a kid I never in a million years would have thought Groot and Ronan the Accuser would one day be part of a major movie!
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Phoenix wrote:
philcom55 wrote:the late Steve Gerber
Was he any relation to Ernst and Mary Gerber, the compilers of The Photo-Journal Guide To Comic Books?
Not that I'm aware. Have you never come across Steve Gerber, Phoenix? He was probably one of the best American comics writers of the 1970s.

starscape

Post by starscape »

Saw Guardians of the Galaxy. Quite good but not as good as was being raved about. No way is it Marvel's best. That said, I found it very entertaining. Humour was spot on. Bit disappointed in Drax but then, he's not been written well in the last 20 years, so no surprise. So good sci-fi, heavy on the comedy but just somehow not a Marvel movie.

The 'after the credits' bit was fantastic. You always know that it's a very important piece that tells you about the nature of the Marvel Universe. And this time...well....

I'd rate it around 7 or 8 / 10.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Preffered it second time around---I still missed the after-credits piece, though.

starscape

Post by starscape »

Talking about other original Guardians, Vance Astro would be an excellent character to link a number of movies together from the Marvel stable, from boy to ancient.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

starscape wrote:Saw Guardians of the Galaxy. Quite good but not as good as was being raved about. No way is it Marvel's best. That said, I found it very entertaining. Humour was spot on. Bit disappointed in Drax but then, he's not been written well in the last 20 years, so no surprise. So good sci-fi, heavy on the comedy but just somehow not a Marvel movie.

The 'after the credits' bit was fantastic. You always know that it's a very important piece that tells you about the nature of the Marvel Universe. And this time...well....

I'd rate it around 7 or 8 / 10.
I thought it was very much a Marvel movie. Marvel have always been more than just straight superhero action, after all.

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

It's not a cinematic masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination but it was fun picture tbh plus I didn't fall asleep halfway through...

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

I loved it even though i have never read many guardians of the galaxy comics & certainly none of the 70s stuff.but hasn't Howard the duck lost a of weight since 1986 :lol:

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

I have just been to see it and while I have not read the comics, I really enjoyed the movie and would heartily recommend it to any non-comic fans to go and see.

The cinematography was wonderful. The pace was snappy. And it was more the movie I hoped to see than Dawn of the Planet of the Apes was.

I am not surprised to see how much this movie has made as it got everything spot on for me. And wasn't Karen Gillam a really good villain?
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!