Illustrated children's book I have fond memory of

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Power fan

Illustrated children's book I have fond memory of

Post by Power fan »

Does this ring a bell with anyone - I would like to know title/author/pubisher. I suspect that I may have had it out from the library in the early 1960s. It concerned a boy visiting a fairground. Punch and Judy appeared in one chapter, and a miniature railway in the last chapter. The hero of the story was given a magic sixpence, which was especially shiny. The fare for each ride was sixpence, but each time (except the last) he was given the same coin back as change, although it got less and less shiny until for the railway ride it looked like a normal sixpence, when it was then spent.

Power fan

Re: Illustrated children's book I have fond memory of

Post by Power fan »

Re-googling 2 years later tells me the book is The Enchanted Fairground, Alys Myers probably the illustrator. Now if only I could remember more about an annual from the 50's which I acquired from a fete in the mid 60's only to lose when moving house shortly thereafter - it's not one of the major titles (ie I wasn't aware of an existing comic in the mid sixties), but had a large number of humour strips in it. I know that's horribly vague, but any suggestions would be welcome!

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

There's a fair chance it was a Gerald G Swan annual. Slick Fun or one of the others. There were always lots of humour strips and a few adventure strips.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Gerald G Swan annual titles included:
Slick Fun Album
Cute Fun Album
Funnies Album
Comicolour Album
The latter had all the strips in "colour", though it was really two different coloured screentones per page. They ran from the end of the war (when loads of little publishers sprang up) into the early 50's, when DCT and Amalgamated Press re-asserted themselves, and Eagle captured a big readership.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I have a Wonder Book of Comics published by Odhams in 1949 which is a mixture of text stories and comic strips - some in colour and one by Roy Wilson. It doesn't have a dust jacket any more so no point in my scanning it. I don't know how many volumes were published. It has a hefty 330 pages and here are the contents pages.

I actually created a post about this book in April last year under its title and included the Wilson pages if you want to see them.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Good to see that they actually credited the artists and writers. It's a shame that didn't happen more often.

Power fan

Post by Power fan »

Thanks all for your help on this - I don't think it was the Wonder book, I think it had fewer pages and not much (if any) colour, one of the Gerald G Swan titles does seem a more likely bet!

Power fan

Post by Power fan »

Just bumping this up - having given up on this ages ago, now re-trying. I can confirm that my copy had lost its dust jacket, so only had a plain cover (green I think) - any suggestions welcome!

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Not completely sure about this, but I don't think Swan albums had dust sleeves and the covers were illustrated. Perhaps someone else could confirm or correct.