New Thunderbirds

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Marionette

New Thunderbirds

Post by Marionette »

Is anyone else watching the new Thunderbirds series? I'm quite enjoying it. I'm sure a lot of purists are complaining at the changes that have been made, but they mostly make sense. Only thing that irritates me is the Star Wars holograms they use. Oh, and maybe the running gag about grandma's cooking. If it's really that bad I can only assume she's trolling them, since she doesn't appear stupid enough to not see how terrible it is.

On the plus side they've made some effort to beef up the female side of the show, without actually adding any new characters. Tintin is now Kayo the action girl, with her own craft (though I don't think we've seen it used yet) and a portrait on the wall alongside the boys. Personally I don't see why they couldn't have made one of the brothers a sister, but I'm sure there are already people complaining that even giving an existing female character a bit more agency is political correctness gone mad.

There also seems to be a sub-plot about Jeff Tracy having gone missing, which they remind you about every couple of episodes but haven't actually developed much. Presumably that will go somewhere before long. This series is going to run to 26 episodes so they've got plenty of time.
The Tammy Project: Documenting the classic British girls' comic, one serial at a time.

Lew Stringer

Re: New Thunderbirds

Post by Lew Stringer »

I'm quite enjoying it although it seems to lack the tension of the originals. I don't mind the changes at all, but I've noticed a distinct lack of explosions. Anderson shows were famous for their pyrotechnics. I can appreciate why cigarettes and guns have been banned from the new show but I hope explosions haven't been forbidden as well.

Kayo is a much better character than the dull Tintin. Yes, it's about time we saw Kayo using her Thunderbird craft.

I understand they're splitting the series in two, showing 13 episodes then having a summer break before they show the rest. I hear that three series have been commissioned so it'll be around for a couple of years yet.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Any news of when the DC Thomson comic tie-in will appear?

BeanoMaster1

Post by BeanoMaster1 »

Lew Stringer wrote:I'm quite enjoying it although it seems to lack the tension of the originals. I don't mind the changes at all, but I've noticed a distinct lack of explosions. Anderson shows were famous for their pyrotechnics. I can appreciate why cigarettes and guns have been banned from the new show but I hope explosions haven't been forbidden as well.

Kayo is a much better character than the dull Tintin. Yes, it's about time we saw Kayo using her Thunderbird craft.

I understand they're splitting the series in two, showing 13 episodes then having a summer break before they show the rest. I hear that three series have been commissioned so it'll be around for a couple of years yet.
The second half of season 1 will air in October.

Also, where did you hear about a third series?