New to the Forum

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

ISPYSHHHGUY

Re: New to the Forum

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

In London, even the tube or rail lines are succeptible to regular ontrack delays, but they are usually miles faster to travel with than through the grid-locked roads.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

London really is like another country. Last time I was there I tried to catch a bus and the driver wouldn't even let me on without a prepaid ticket or an Oyster Card (apparently they don't deal with cash any more). The worst part was the way he treated me as if I'd just arrived from Outer Mongolia! :shock:

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

London bus drivers hate humans. If you are running toward the stop thrashing your arm up and down madly the bus will whizz past if you are still a couple of feet from the stop. It still makes me smile when I remember my late brother saying the driver had g-forces on his face.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

In my storage unit today I found a pile of crates had toppled over so i had to replace all the comics in them and restack them, I did notice a couple of issues of The Startler and if I hadn't known better would have sworn it was a DC Thomson boy's paper. Hawkeye should look at the only example of The Startler in the gallery section here and judge for himself.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

philcom55 wrote:London really is like another country. Last time I was there I tried to catch a bus and the driver wouldn't even let me on without a prepaid ticket or an Oyster Card (apparently they don't deal with cash any more).
Even if you don't have an Oyster card, Phil, if you have a contactless Visa card you can certainly use that instead. As I understand it a discount is applied when you tap out at your destination station.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

stevezodiac wrote:London bus drivers hate humans. If you are running toward the stop thrashing your arm up and down madly the bus will whizz past if you are still a couple of feet from the stop.
This has happened to me a time or two when I've been on my own, Steve, but never when I have been running to the bus stop with my three-year-old granddaughter, for the 170 to Roehampton for example, late for the nursery/play school because she couldn't make up her mind which pair of shoes she wanted to wear that day. London bus drivers do have some sense of fair play. In fact, on one occasion as we were approaching a bus from behind he set off, but when he spotted us slowing down in disappointment, he pulled in to the side of the road to let us on. And it wasn't as if the bus company would have made any money out of us because neither of us pay.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:In London, even the tube or rail lines are succeptible to regular ontrack delays, but they are usually miles faster to travel with than through the grid-locked roads.
It isn't just the speed, Rab, which is impressive, it's the frequency of the services. When I get to London I first use the Northern Line from Euston to Victoria on a train going to Brixton. They arrive every minute or so. I then use the District Line from Victoria to either Putney Bridge or Southfields. Wimbledon is the destination of these trains, and I never have to wait more than three or four minutes. And there was me thinking that the Ormskirk to Liverpool service, with a train every fifteen minutes, was excellent!! :)

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

stevezodiac wrote:In my storage unit today I found a pile of crates had toppled over so i had to replace all the comics in them and restack them, I did notice a couple of issues of The Startler and if I hadn't known better would have sworn it was a DC Thomson boy's paper. Hawkeye should look at the only example of The Startler in the gallery section here and judge for himself.
You're quite right, if I'd seen that myself I would have grabbed it thinking it was Rover or Skipper.
I've never heard of or seen the Startler before, thanks for that. Something else to look out for.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

There's a dealer at the comic fasir every month who has a nice pile of Wizards from the early 60s plus some 50s Rovers and a Hotspur - they are only £1.50 each and in very good condition. I look at them every time but figure I don't really need any more comics right now. My mate Steve picked up two 1930s Hotspurs - one was issue 11.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Phoenix wrote:
stevezodiac wrote:There is one early issue of Red Arrow on ebay right now for £18.50. It has a tear across the cover but I might get it just to have a copy of that title.
Don't do that, Steve. As you only want one as an example, PM me your address and I'll send you one of my duplicates free, buckshee, and for nothing. £18.50??? I so hate chancers!!!

Received the Red Arrow today, my first thought was "the silly ass has folded the comic in half" (or words to that effect) until I opened it and found it to be a pocket sized publication which I had never considered. Thanks, Derek. I owe you a pig's ear.