Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
JACKIE & MY MUM 

Bit of a long shot. My mum revealed to me the other day that she'd had a poem published in JACKIE!

This was in1970, just after I was born, under her just married name Lorna Clarke. If anyone can help me find the issue her poem was in I'd be hugely grateful! I'd like to get her a copy. :)

Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:46 pm
Guru

JT Mirana wrote:
Bit of a long shot. My mum revealed to me the other day that she'd had a poem published in JACKIE! This was in1970, just after I was born, under her just married name Lorna Clarke. If anyone can help me find the issue her poem was in I'd be hugely grateful! I'd like to get her a copy. :)
I only have a handful of issues of Jackie, and unfortunately none of them are from 1970. It does strike me though that to help those who have a collection it would be useful if you could provide them with a date. Your birthday I mean, not one with your mother. :)

Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:42 pm

Well, I was born in November 69, so I would say it must have been within about six months of that, which doesn't narrow things down much.

There must be a cover gallery for JACKIE online somewhere. I'll have a look and see if mum recognises anything. :)

Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:17 am

JACKIE seems woefully un-represented anywhere in depth anywhere on the Net [as far as I can gather]: a somewhat odd state of affairs, considering it sold a million weekly copies at it's peak!

Later pop magazines like Smash Hits enjoy a much greater attention on the web, in stark comparison. [I managed to attain every single edition of this [early years] , even the previously-unknown-to-me dummy version from 1978 .

I shamelessly read my older cousins' copy of JACKIE after she finished with it, [late 60s/ very early 70s ] and I remember the graphic style very well indeed. I may even have read your mothers' letter, JT!

The magazine was printed on the same lustrous photograuve format as the BEANO-DANDY Summer Specials from the same era.

http://zoomertoonsrabsmith.blogspot.com/view/magazine

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:43 pm

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:
JACKIE seems woefully un-represented anywhere in depth anywhere on the Net [as far as I can gather]: a somewhat odd state of affairs, considering it sold a million weekly copies at it's peak!

I've been doing some Googling and there does indeed seem to be a bizarre lack of JACKIE related material, other than covers and a few pop pin-ups. So much for t'internet!

Mon May 02, 2016 10:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]