Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Not just any old Amazon delivery rep. 
Author Message
User avatar

Joined: 23 May 2006, 20:43
Posts: 4623
Location: space city
Reply with quote
Blimey has anybody told them?


14 Dec 2017, 13:21
Profile
Guru

Joined: 27 Mar 2008, 21:15
Posts: 5284
Reply with quote
comixminx wrote:
Oh blimey to this entire thread!
24 hours later but no apology so far from comixminx, I notice. :o :? :shock:


14 Dec 2017, 20:21
Profile
User avatar

Joined: 01 Mar 2006, 20:20
Posts: 120
Location: Weymouth, Dorset
Reply with quote
Well, I'm quite enjoying these comments.
In my experience, the delivery guys round our way have been really good. However, where I work, I have noticed a definite increase in deliveries that seem to be coming from a random bloke, or woman, in a beaten up estate car with no uniform on and the back of the car rammed to the roof with parcels. Is this everywhere, or is it Dorset's version of the gig economy?!!

_________________
Scccrrruunnge


15 Dec 2017, 07:36
Profile
User avatar

Joined: 05 Dec 2014, 01:05
Posts: 1286
Location: Southampton/London
Reply with quote
DJDogfart wrote:
Well, I'm quite enjoying these comments.
In my experience, the delivery guys round our way have been really good. However, where I work, I have noticed a definite increase in deliveries that seem to be coming from a random bloke, or woman, in a beaten up estate car with no uniform on and the back of the car rammed to the roof with parcels. Is this everywhere, or is it Dorset's version of the gig economy?!!


That'll be MyHermes. Almost perfect description of the lady that delivers parcels to me!


15 Dec 2017, 09:53
Profile
User avatar

Joined: 23 May 2006, 20:43
Posts: 4623
Location: space city
Reply with quote
Two mentions of gig economy. I do not have a clue what that means can someone enlighten me?


15 Dec 2017, 15:27
Profile

Joined: 03 Jun 2008, 16:57
Posts: 258
Reply with quote
Steve

From the BBC News website, "...According to one definition, it is "a labour market characterised by the prevalence of short-term contracts or freelance work, as opposed to permanent jobs".
And - taking opposing partisan viewpoints - it is either a working environment that offers flexibility with regard to employment hours, or... it is a form of exploitation with very little workplace protection..."

I suspect that these Deliveroo cyclists I see all over the place are part of the "gig economy"


15 Dec 2017, 17:24
Profile
User avatar

Joined: 01 Mar 2006, 20:20
Posts: 120
Location: Weymouth, Dorset
Reply with quote
I have nothing against it, as long as it suits the employee. Although I think I would prefer my post to be delivered by someone in a marked vehicle and wearing some sort of uniform.
There was a bit on the radio the other day, where delivery drivers were noticing people running from them as they drove into a crowded area - a reaction to the terrorist attacks of recent years. It must be difficult for them to reassure people without getting out of the vehicle. I had never looked at it from their perspective until then.
Sorry, seem to have strayed from the original thread a little

_________________
Scccrrruunnge


15 Dec 2017, 19:44
Profile
Guru

Joined: 27 Mar 2008, 21:15
Posts: 5284
Reply with quote
Adam Eterno wrote:
That'll be MyHermes. Almost perfect description of the lady that delivers parcels to me!
Hermes delivered today a parcel of five hardback football/school novels from the 20s/30s, four written by Sydney Horler, the fifth by Sidney Horler, that I bought a few days ago as a job lot on eBay. Again I didn't hear the bell. I think it must be the noise from my computer tower that's to blame. My next door neighbours took it in, and Hermes posted the details of where to go for my parcel on an official slip.
DJDogfart wrote:
Sorry, seem to have strayed from the original thread a little
Back on track now DJD.


15 Dec 2017, 19:52
Profile
User avatar

Joined: 01 Mar 2006, 20:20
Posts: 120
Location: Weymouth, Dorset
Reply with quote
Excellent service today from royal mail. My wife had a certificate delivered yesterday from Bournemouth University (she's the clever one in our house!). It needed to be signed for. When I got home from work yesterday one of our neighbours came out and gave it to me.
This morning, we were walking the dogs and our postie pulled up in the van and checked she got the envelope safely!
We are lucky that most of the people living around us are retired. Think we are the only ones around here who still have a mortgage!!

_________________
Scccrrruunnge


16 Dec 2017, 13:37
Profile

Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 10:35
Posts: 265
Reply with quote
DJDogfart wrote:
Excellent service today from royal mail. My wife had a certificate delivered yesterday from Bournemouth University (she's the clever one in our house!). It needed to be signed for. When I got home from work yesterday one of our neighbours came out and gave it to me.
This morning, we were walking the dogs and our postie pulled up in the van and checked she got the envelope safely!
We are lucky that most of the people living around us are retired. Think we are the only ones around here who still have a mortgage!!


The van thing happened to me yesterday. I was out walking my dogs when the postie stopped his van and shouted 'got a parcel for you!!, if you're back home in 5 minutes you'll get it !!' I was, and I did.

Strangest delivery I ever heard of (actually it was a non-delivery), was a few years ago when I sold a board game on ebay. The buyer contacted me a week or so after the sale to ask where it was (I had posted it straight away as it happens). On making enquiries with the post office, it turns out that they had sub-contracted the delivery to the local milk man who had then either kept it for himself or managed to lose it !! I did get a refund and so did my buyer.


16 Dec 2017, 22:03
Profile
User avatar

Joined: 23 May 2006, 20:43
Posts: 4623
Location: space city
Reply with quote
I was expecting a parcel of DC Thomson women's papers last week but they still hadn't arrived by Saturday. I went to the high street early so I'd get back in time for the post. My usual bus was too long in coming so I got a different route which meant going through back streets. Luckily I saw the postman and asked him if he'd done my street yet. He said no but pulled out my package and gave it to me. I flashed my 60+ oyster card as ID.


17 Dec 2017, 21:08
Profile

Joined: 09 Jul 2015, 16:41
Posts: 495
Location: UK
Reply with quote
Phoenix wrote:
comixminx wrote:
Oh blimey to this entire thread!
24 hours later but no apology so far from comixminx, I notice. :o :? :shock:

Apology from me, Phoenix? What for?! I was sympathizing with all those hard-done by on the delivery front! Obviously not very clearly but still. Perhaps I should have added some appropriate emoticons? such as :grouphug:

_________________
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.


18 Dec 2017, 11:53
Profile WWW
Guru

Joined: 27 Mar 2008, 21:15
Posts: 5284
Reply with quote
comixminx wrote:
Apology from me, Phoenix? What for?
Look, comixminx, you are an intelligent woman so you don't really need me to explain why an apology would have been appropriate, do you? I'm sure that when you wrote "Oh blimey to this entire thread" everybody will have interpreted the comment as dismissive - as giving a verbal trashing to my thread, obviously not just to my comments either as others had responded before you did, so the flak spread out.
comixminx wrote:
I was sympathizing with all those hard-done by on the delivery front!
Well I've reread the relevant posts and I'm seriously struggling to see where you are doing that.
comixminx wrote:
Obviously not very clearly
Quite.
comixminx wrote:
Perhaps I should have added some appropriate emoticons? such as :grouphug:
I really don't need members to use emoticons. I am perfectly comfortable with their words.


18 Dec 2017, 16:05
Profile

Joined: 09 Jul 2015, 16:41
Posts: 495
Location: UK
Reply with quote
Well I can certainly apologise for posting in a hurry and putting in insufficient words to make myself clear - and then not looking back for a while, which obviously made things worse! But no, my 'oh blimey to this entire thread' wasn't at all intended to mean that I was dismissing it and your struggles. I meant 'oh blimey' as in 'what a nightmare for you and all others who have faced the difficulty of delivery people, as per their stories on this thread'.

Sorry, I didn't at all mean it to be dismissive and I will be more careful with my words and posting another time. But I would also hope that you would take our previous positive interactions into account and assume I would be unlikely to be giving a wide-spread verbal trashing - giving me the benefit of the doubt.

_________________
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.


18 Dec 2017, 17:59
Profile WWW
Guru

Joined: 27 Mar 2008, 21:15
Posts: 5284
Reply with quote
comixminx wrote:
Well I can certainly apologise for posting in a hurry and putting in insufficient words to make myself clear - and then not looking back for a while, which obviously made things worse!
Apology accepted with good grace.
comixminx wrote:
I would also hope that you would take our previous positive interactions into account and assume I would be unlikely to be giving a wide-spread verbal trashing - giving me the benefit of the doubt.
That's fine with me. I never wanted to fall out with you in the first place.


18 Dec 2017, 18:50
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software.