Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
Strip Magazine - Who's buy the first issue? 

(Blast! I was mean't to type "Strip Magazine - Who's buyING the first issue?".)

Since Strip Magazine is coming out next month, who is planning to buy a copy?

I'll be up for one. Actually more than one as I will buying a copy for my Collection of Number Ones as well as one for myself to read with the high hopes that I will like it enough to add it to my stable of regular comics (see avatar).

Fingers crossed. :xfingers:

Loving comics since 1969 including: Action, Battle-Action, Captain Britain, Champ, CLiNT, Cor!!, Cracker, The Crunch, The Dandy, Doctor Who Comic, Eagle, Eagle, Hotspur, Hurricane, Jet, Lion, The Magic Comic, Red Dagger, Revolver, Scream!, Smash!, Spike, Starblazer, Starlord, Strip, Thunder, Valiant, Vulcan and Warrior.

Last edited by SID on Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:42 pm
Profile YIM

i will buy it as well,i did buy the 1st issue of clint but none since although forbidden planet seem to have all issues in stock so i may get a few more.

Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:12 am

Living at the arse end of Cumbria the nearest comic shop to me is 33 miles away in Carlisle and thats run by a very strange creepy man who kinda scares me. I'm hoping that you can buy individual issues from the Strip Magazine website.

Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:05 am

Very much looking forward to Strip - I think this could be a massive title for UK comics if it succeeds with its format (all ages adventure) it may herald a change in content for UK newsagents comics (IMHO that is something I think they need) fingers crossed for it.

Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:17 pm

Im going to buy it, its worth the money for to see Hookjaw again in decent colouring and lettering.

Its important that we support it.

Personally I wouldnt buy Clint as Im not into the bad language, adult themes etc but
thankfully Strip is not going down that road

Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:01 pm

STARBOY wrote:
Very much looking forward to Strip - I think this could be a massive title for UK comics if it succeeds with its format (all ages adventure) it may herald a change in content for UK newsagents comics (IMHO that is something I think they need) fingers crossed for it.

Unfortunately, the newsagents won't be selling it. They couldn't get the distro sorted so it's comic shops only. I think this unfortunately virtually guarantees lower sales.

It reminds me when I was part of a group that was going to publish a book of small press comics to gain wider readership. I tried to get the members to go with comic shop distro - they didn't want to invest the money, so were going for small press distro. The result would be it would only reach the people already buying small press, so fails before it starts. Unfortunately, with Strip it's only going to be comic shop go-ers (tend to be mature), rather than it's intended and natural audience of 10-14 year olds.

I'll still look forward to it and will be buying it. But I should be the least of it's target audience, when I suspect I'm now it's typical audience.

comics, cartoons, music & movies

Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:37 pm
Profile WWW
Fence Sitter

Apparently they're only going for comic shops for the first year to get "likely" readers before expanding further. Let's just hope they make enough from the initial comic shop issues to expand into the rest of the nation.

I for one will be buying the whole first year. It sounds like it's pitched at the same audience as Commando, but with serials and not entirely war-focused. In other words a proper adventure comic! It's the sort of thing I longed for when I was younger (Sonic The Comic was decent but didn't quite cut it, too fantastic! Also Commando only seemed to be sold at the seaside back then) but could never find, except for in some old 50's-looking adventure story books at school

Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:27 pm
Profile WWW

Quote:
Also Commando only seemed to be sold at the seaside back then)
I know what you mean, the only time I ever saw the Football and Bunty libraries in the shops was when I went to Butlins Skegness in the mid '90s. The Beano and Dandy ones and Commando weren't much easier to find either (basically, it was WHSmith or nowhere).

Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:20 pm
Profile WWW

First 6 issues are in comic shops only, newsagents will have it in march 2012. Thanks for support!
Ivo

Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:43 pm

ME! I'm in! Got my 5yo in too, yet I think maybe the stories are a bit too old for him.

Never mind though, will do for when there's no more UK comics ever produced :wink:

And I really hope I do mean that sarcastically!

Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:11 pm

I don't really see the comic shop only sales being a problem its not intended to be long term (till March 2012 then its newsagents) I can see a few folk picking this up in comic shops - the 3 comic shops in Glasgow ( so imagine its the same with many others) sell with Archie comics, Mad, Marvel Adventures, Johnny DC titles, teen manga etc so I can see folk picking it up, not on mass but I reckon the STRIP folk know that and are using this time to tweek the comic for the big launch - fingers crossed for them

Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:33 pm

Already put my order in with my comic shop...who hadn't heard of it till I asked btw!.

Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:04 pm
Fence Sitter

Hmm, could the comic shop distribution actually be like a modern version of what they did with (I think) Vulcan, selling it only in a small area (well, Scotland XD) first to see if it "works"?

Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:39 pm
Profile WWW
Mr Valeera

Surely newsagents will order in any magazine/comic/paper that you ask them to get, so hopefully we can add to the bounty and up the sales of Strip by a moderate amount.

Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:51 pm
Profile WWW

I just read on their Facebook page that you should be able to get the first issue from Amazon.

So I went and had a look and found publications containing women in states of undress.

Methinks, that is not it. ;)

Loving comics since 1969 including: Action, Battle-Action, Captain Britain, Champ, CLiNT, Cor!!, Cracker, The Crunch, The Dandy, Doctor Who Comic, Eagle, Eagle, Hotspur, Hurricane, Jet, Lion, The Magic Comic, Red Dagger, Revolver, Scream!, Smash!, Spike, Starblazer, Starlord, Strip, Thunder, Valiant, Vulcan and Warrior.

Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:38 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next