STRIP Magazine relaunches next Monday! (April 8th)

Moderator: AndyB

Lew Stringer

Re: STRIP Magazine relaunches next Monday! (April 8th)

Post by Lew Stringer »

wilsia wrote:Much to my annoyance Forbidden Planet in belfast dont have it.
They won't, until next week. From Strip's Facebook page:

"Diamond have confirmed this morning that STRIP #1 will be in UK comic shops that ordered it next week. PLEASE NOTE: We are not provided with details of which stores have ordered the magazine - sorry. If you run a comic shop and are stocking it, please let us - and potential readers - know. Thanks"
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Strip-Ma ... ref=stream

wilsia

Post by wilsia »

Thank you for this info Lew. Will try again next week

SID

Post by SID »

Mine hasn't come yet but not to say it won't today. Anyway, I will be checking my local Smiths and if not there, off to Croydon or Bromley.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Picked up mine from WH Smith in Ipswich yesterday. I'm impressed, I have to say. Not every strip is to my taste but there's certainly enough there to keep me coming back for more, and I'm particularly glad to see the revived King Cobra (the original was a favourite of mine).

Richard S.

Post by Richard S. »

Plenty of copies in WHS in Wimbledon - looking forward to reading it tonight
my blog: http://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.co.uk/
facebook: Richard Sheaf
facebook group: Boys adventure comic blog
Twitter: @richardandsheaf
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/BoysAdventureComics/

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

tony ingram wrote:Picked up mine from WH Smith in Ipswich yesterday. I'm impressed, I have to say. Not every strip is to my taste but there's certainly enough there to keep me coming back for more, and I'm particularly glad to see the revived King Cobra (the original was a favourite of mine).
I never really liked the original King Cobra but I felt the new version was the standout strip in the comic. Denizens shows promise too.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

I had a quick flick in whs & will prob get it next week its a shame they never continued hookjaw from vol 1 as i never read the original 1st time around i would have liked to see it until its conclusion :(

SID

Post by SID »

I got my copy from WHSmiths in Bromley (there was nothing in my local Smiths). It reminded me of days past (well decades actually) when you would rush out to get the first issue of that new comic that DCT or IPC had just released.

A good read with King Cobra being the possible star of the comic. Good to see that it is all-new stories unlike Hookjaw and Dredger. Maybe that could do that with Hookjaw if he ever returns.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Also impressed here! The old Strip felt a bit hit and miss at times (though that may have been because I couldn't remember what had been happening in my non-favourite strips). But this new version doesn't have a bad strip in it! Even the re-started Warpaint doesn't grate on me as much as I expected it to when I first heard of it (just so long as we aren't snowed under with eco-mysticism in future). Crucible is looking good, though with all the characters being rapidly introduced it reminds me of the first time I read Black Ops Extreme. Still, as they don't have Fellowship of the Ring space they can't do Fellowship of the Ring introductions.
Denizens I expected to be eco-mystic, only to find it is in fact "the earth rises up against the polluters" without gaia and rune magic. Could get interesting, like a zombie apocalypse thing except with the jungle suddenly tearing into the cities instead. Black Dragon seems like "OMG epicc"-stuff-teen-geeks-would-like-by-numbers. An alternate history, a Japanese hero (who is a ninja, of course) and steampunk. I normally hate steampunk (though NOT because it recalls the Victorian imperialist period), but this could just re-convert me.
And then there's King Cobra, not as Americanised as I feared (still saw a "NO!" with a red outline, though...), and actually very enjoyable. The references to the "old Cobra" are very interesting. It's like the American superheroes who have been running for decades, with a new character taking over the cape periodically (like Captain America, isn't he now the original captain's thought-to-have-died friend?), except King Cobra has of course been running 'invisibly', not in any comics. Maybe they will even put something in saying that his adventures in the intervening years have been "top secret"? XD. The supervillain having his own nuclear-armed country is a great touch too. At one point in the Sexton Blake saga the Criminal's Confederation 'stole' a country in South America and ruled it as their own. It's like shadowy Cold War spy antics, where the battles between countries are fought one-on-one in gloomy alleys, but with superheroes!

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Lew Stringer wrote: I never really liked the original King Cobra
I could never resist Ron Smith's artwork. His King Cobra always seemed so pleasingly mental... :D

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

felneymike wrote:It's like the American superheroes who have been running for decades, with a new character taking over the cape periodically (like Captain America, isn't he now the original captain's thought-to-have-died friend?)
No, the original Cap returned about three years ago. Bucky (back from the dead) was new Cap for a couple of years before that though.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Yeah, Bucky has reverted back to being Winter Soldier.

Terry

Post by Terry »

Read my copy yesterday and echo whats been said, really enjoyed it, think my favourite will be Denizens, even enjoyed the Black opps strips, although I enjoyed that from the previous Strip run

SID

Post by SID »

It is the same old though (at least with Bromley Smiths) in that unless you knew where to find it, it would be very unlikely you would spot it by chance. In this case, Strip was neatly tucked away in the far corner at the back next to Futurama Comics. You would think that because it is a new comic, they would have stuck it in the front for new readers to catch it, even it is just the first 1 or 2 issues. :soapbox:

But I am glad that Strip has finally arrived and that it will be monthly. :cheers:

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

That's strange. The WHSmith in Hull's Prospect Centre has Futurama next to Simpsons among all the other kids comics, but has Strip next to 2000AD and the Marvel and DC collectors editions in a whole different section, near Doctor Who Magazine and SFX. I think it's a similar story at the Whitefriargate and Kingswood branches too.