Lion series question?

Buster, Whizzer and Chips, Whoopee, Wham, Smash, you name it!

Moderator: AndyB

Al
Sir!

Lion series question?

Post by Al »

I've received an email from a Comics UK visitor who would like to know the answer to the following questions. I'm afraid I've only go a few issues of Lion from this era . Here is his question:-

My question: When I first went to Secondary school in 1959/1960 I then used to buy Lion myself and recall that about that time they ran a long series of Aircraft cutaway drawings two or three pages in from the back.

I still have a small collection of those that I cut out at the time but I am now actively looking to collect all those issues that carried these drawings.

I have scoured the Internet trying to establish when this series ran from and to with no success and wondered if perhaps you may know or point me in the right direction.

As I said, I am sure that they started in 1959 and possibly ran until 1961 or thereabouts.

If you could, or would, assist in any way I would be extremely grateful.
Can anybody assist? I have emailed the chap (John) to keep his eye on this post.

Thank you, Al.

Kashgar
Guru

Lion series question?

Post by Kashgar »

I'll check this out later today and post answer tomorrow.

Kashgar
Guru

Lion series question?

Post by Kashgar »

The series of Lion cutaway wartime aircraft began in issue dated 24/10/59 with the Hurricane and then ran untill the Heinkel He113 appeared in issue dated 30/6/62. The cutaways then continued with a series devoted to tanks and other armoured vehicles from 7/7/62 to 16/3/63. Then in issue dated 23/3/63 a new series of aircraft cutaways began this time devoted to passenger planes beginning with the Vickers VC10 and ending in issue dated 30/11/63 with Concorde. This was followed in issues dated 7/12/63 - 18/1/64 by a final series of cutaway assault aircraft beginning with the Henschel Hs-129 and ending with the Hawker Tempest. These cutaway series were followed from 25/1/64 - 5/12/64 by a series titled 'What's New?' about new methods of transportation etc and this series also included the ocassional cutaway.
The cutaway series' never missed an issue in the five years they appeared although they never featured on a particular page in the comic.
And only once in its run,on 14/11/59, did the feature expand to a double page spread when the cutaway was the De Haviland Mosquito.

Al
Sir!

Lion series question?

Post by Al »

Kashgar - for you :D

Dear Al,

Firstly, thank you so much for posting my request on the Forum that you
so kindly gave me the link to.

Secondly, please would you, on my behalf, thank "Kashgar" for his most
detailed post with all the dates and other very relevant comments that I have just
picked up on half an hour ago.

I really am extremely grateful for all the trouble gone to on my behalf.

The only thing now of course is to find all these issues !!! Looks like it might
be a long and expensive Nostalgia trip.

Once again my grateful thanks.

John

Kashgar
Guru

Lion series question?

Post by Kashgar »

Always happy to help.