Badtime Bedtime Books

Buster, Whizzer and Chips, Whoopee, Wham, Smash, you name it!

Moderator: AndyB

Lew Stringer

Re: Bad Time Bed Time Books

Post by Lew Stringer »

tolworthy wrote:
I wonder, if we started an online petition, how many signatures would we get?

About 10. UK online comics fandom isn't very big.

Lew

tolworthy

Re: Bad Time Bed Time Books

Post by tolworthy »

Lew Stringer wrote:
tolworthy wrote:
I wonder, if we started an online petition, how many signatures would we get?
About 10. UK online comics fandom isn't very big.

Lew
LOL - I feared as much.

tolworthy

Badtime Bedtime Books

Post by tolworthy »

The updated Badtime book website is here: http://www.enterthestory.com/badtime_bedtime_books.html

The updated checklist is here: http://www.enterthestory.com/badtime_checklist.html

Toonpooch

Badtime Bedtime Books

Post by Toonpooch »

Don't forget the annuals:

Ye Badtime Bedtime Nursery Rhymes
drawn by Terry Bave

Starchy and Butch
drawn by Mike Brown

Traffic Island
drawn by Robert Looney Stevedore

Boggles
drawn by Group Captain Brown (Mike)

Robinson Gruesome (reprint from M Fun #2)

Aladdin and His Wonderful Tramp
drawn by Mike Brown

One Billion Years B.C.
(Before Comics) drawn by Mike Brown

Not sure about 1981, 1984, 1985 - 'can't find my copies yet!
But there weren't any in the 1982 edition...

1980's Aladdin is a particularly brilliant tale, stuffed with Star
Wars references!...

tolworthy

Re: Badtime Bedtime Books

Post by tolworthy »

Toonpooch wrote:1978
Traffic Island
That's the one! That's the one! That's the one In remember as my all-time favourite! Good grief. And it wasn't even in the comic or by Baxendale. I remember really wanting that annual... ah the nostalgia... Thanks for the information, that's really valuable. I'll add it to the web site.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Toonpooch wrote:1978
Traffic Island
...I can't quite put my finger on it but there's something vaguely suspicious about that artist's name! :?

Great job on the checklist btw Tolworthy. If it's any help I just dug up an example of a non-Baxendale story (I think it's probably Terry Bave, but I'm not all that familiar with his style. No doubt Lew will be able to do a more definite ID). As you point out it's interesting how much the anonymous and poorly placed machine lettering lets it down. Maybe any reprint could be reset by computer using a 'hand-lettered' typeface?
[img:500:757]http://uk.geocities.com/philcom55/halfdollar.jpg[/img]

- Phil Rushton

tolworthy

Post by tolworthy »

philcom55 wrote:I just dug up an example of a non-Baxendale story (I think it's probably Terry Bave, but I'm not all that familiar with his style. No doubt Lew will be able to do a more definite ID).
Thanks! That's a really improtant exampel - I wondered whehn I saw it, but this proves it. This is the first appearance of Steve Ford, Buytonic Boy, as starred in Krazy comic! Krazy was the second comic I bought regularly (Cheeky was the third - my best friend and I had Cheeky sweaters specially knitted!) ah the memories.

Is this kind of cross-pollenation unique? I know the IPC comics would routinely merge, and occasionally an old strip would be brought back, but this seems to be something different: characters created in one comic who then mature in another. Kind of like "Marvel Universe" concept: Frankie Stein was created in an earlier comic and went on to edit Monster Fun, Monster Fun created Steve Ford who went on to star in Krazy, Krazy created Cheeky who went on to star in Cheeky Weekly... I loved how they all connected.

On another topic, the art seems very rushed. It seems a little unfair that Baxendale (wisely) managed to work full time on just the Badtime books and then other artists have to squeeze them in on top of all their other work and get compared, with people like me saying "oh he obviously wan't such a good artist" when the poor guy probably had to draw it in five minutes at three in the morning.

Anyway, thanks for the scan. I'll go and add it now.[/url]

Peter Gray

Badtime Bedtime Books

Post by Peter Gray »

http://uk.geocities.com/pjgleobax/

in case you havn't seen my fansite.......though no badtime scans as I didn't have any......

Kashgar
Guru

Badtime Bedtime Books

Post by Kashgar »

Hi Tol, The BBB in No24 should have read 'Dick Twerpin' and not 'Moby Duck'. Sorry about the confusion. No11 'I Spy' was the first non Baxendale to be published.
The only Terry Bave issue in the run was No30 Dick Twittington which, if memory serves as I haven't got the issue in front of me, was signed at the foot of the title page.

tolworthy

Post by tolworthy »

Peter Gray wrote:http://uk.geocities.com/pjgleobax/
in case you havn't seen my fansite.......though no badtime scans as I didn't have any......
I'll add a link to my site. Thanks!
Kashgar wrote:Hi Tol, The BBB in No24 should have read 'Dick Twerpin' and not 'Moby Duck'. Sorry about the confusion. No11 'I Spy' was the first non Baxendale to be published.
The only Terry Bave issue in the run was No30 Dick Twittington which, if memory serves as I haven't got the issue in front of me, was signed at the foot of the title page.
Thanks for the info! It's much appreciated.

stevezodiac

Badtime Bedtime Books

Post by stevezodiac »

My usual saturday visit to Deptford Market today resulted in A. A breadbasket full of pie, mash and liquor (sloo) and B. the purchase of the 1980 Monster Fun Annual for a measly ten bob (50 new pence). Anyway as comfirmed in an earlier reply there are two Badtime Bedtime stories: Robinson Gruesome (it is headed "BADTIME BEDTIME BOOK - Second Showing) not sure if it means a reprint or a new second version of the story. It is signed by Leo Baxendale. The second story is ALLADIN AND HIS WONDERFUL TRAMP...(TRAMP?). Signed by Mike Brown. Both these stories are eight pages each but the fact they are presented in the normal annual page size leads me to think they are orignals and not reprints (unless, of course the original Monster Fun stories changed from the fold up and cut out size to normal page size - did they?) And was mike Brown still drawing in 1979? I did buy MF when it came out but haven't seen them for years as most of my collection has been in storage since 1997. If you would like this annual i'll gladly send it to you because the only reason i shelled out ten shillings was because of this posting. If you want to send me a personal message with your name and address i'll send it to you for free. Postage should only be about a quid so not bothered about recompense. look forward to hearing from you.

tolworthy

Post by tolworthy »

How incredibly generous! I don't know what to say! Except thanks, and a PM is on its way

PS ten shillings... LOL! I remember an early Cor!! anual (or was it Smash?) where a story ended with the hero being rewarded with "fifty pence worth of fish and chips!" and he had this mountain of sausages, chips, fish, and all good things. As you so aptly put it, sloo! Every time I pay 90p for a measly cone I remember that story...

stevezodiac

Badtime Bedtime Books

Post by stevezodiac »

Also while in Deptford High Street I picked up the last Ed McBain 87th Precinct hardback (ex library) fro a charity shop for 20p so there are still bargains around. I forgot to mention the MF annual is in almost new condition with just a crossword completed in biro. I weighed the item and second class postage is 75p. It has your favourite Badtime Bedtime story in it so can't be bad.

tolworthy

Post by tolworthy »

stevezodiac wrote:Also while in Deptford High Street I picked up the last Ed McBain 87th Precinct hardback (ex library) fro a charity shop for 20p so there are still bargains around. I forgot to mention the MF annual is in almost new condition with just a crossword completed in biro. I weighed the item and second class postage is 75p. It has your favourite Badtime Bedtime story in it so can't be bad.
I am lying behind the door staring up at the letterbox as I type. Anticipation... anticipation...

If you want anything from up north in return, just say.

tolworthy

Badtime Bedtime Books

Post by tolworthy »

Thanks to SteveZodiac's generosity the Badtime book now has a little more content, including another complete story. I aim to have scans of the front pages of every Badtime book (eventually! Don't hold your breath) but will probably only scan a few complete stories from my personal favorites.

Badtime book website: http://www.enterthestory.com/badtime_bedtime_books.html

Checklist: http://www.enterthestory.com/badtime_checklist.html