Buster adventure stories

Buster, Whizzer and Chips, Whoopee, Wham, Smash, you name it!

Moderator: AndyB

tony ingram

Re: Buster adventure strips..

Post by tony ingram »

Lew Stringer wrote:
Raven wrote: Holy disagreements! It may not have worked for you and your chums, Lew, but in general, Robin was hugely popular in the TV series (I think Burt Ward was extremely funny, myself, with great comic timing) and never really left the comic's main strip for long. He was also popular enough to often take the cover spotlight in the Teen Titans title around that time.
Teen Titans was never a top seller in the Sixties though. It folded after 43 issues. By the time it was revived comics were being targeted to the fan audience who were buying it for Marv Wolfman's storylines and George Perez' artwork, rather than to "relate" to Robin. (Besides, by that time Robin had been aged to about 18 or 19.)

The television Robin (Burt Ward) was popular with teenage girls. I don't know of any bloke who looked up to the character, although I'm sure there were some! :wink:

Lew
Slipping into pedantic mode: in fact, Teen Titans was revived in the 70's for a further ten issues between '76 and '78. The final issue was #53. Exiting pedantic mode: but I take your point. Though the comparative failure of it might have had less to do with the characters' ages than it did the fact that they were, like, appallingly written dreck from adult writers living in dullsville who just weren't down with the kids or hip to the lingo and just got it all so wrong, man. You dig? Those cats were not groovy! :D

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Nothing changes does it? Minnie the Minx and Benji (Ball Boy's pal) both used the word "Woot!" in the Beano recently. Never heard anyone say that, of any age. And kids today don't use words like extreme either (as used in the renaming of The Dandy as Dandy Xtreme). So DC Thomson's staff today are no better than DC Comics' staff of the 1970s.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Alas I have heard the word 'Woot' used on many an occasion, usually by the 16 year old, to denote something good...
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

colcool007 wrote:Alas I have heard the word 'Woot' used on many an occasion, usually by the 16 year old, to denote something good...
It originates from the Finbar Saunders strip in Viz, and has been in use there for at least ten years. Supposed to sound like a ship's horn. Finbar uses it when he misreads "sexual" content in conversation between his Mum and Mr.Gimlet.

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

steelclaw
Thanks for showing the difference.
I think you should collect every Buster with Galaxus in now
I'm collecting these 60's and 70's Busters (also 80's up to 1991)...they had some great comic art..and adventure stories..what an achievement Buster comic was...
love it..

How did Galaxus end...or was it open ended and nothing was resolved?

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Lew Stringer wrote:
colcool007 wrote:Alas I have heard the word 'Woot' used on many an occasion, usually by the 16 year old, to denote something good...
It originates from the Finbar Saunders strip in Viz, and has been in use there for at least ten years. Supposed to sound like a ship's horn. Finbar uses it when he misreads "sexual" content in conversation between his Mum and Mr.Gimlet.

Lew
Well kids shouldn't be reading Viz, and therefore how on Earth did they learn the word!?! It's out of context as well if it's supposed to refer to discussions about sex, the Beano characters use it just as colcool007 describes.

Maybe woot is only used in the south or in Scotland - certainly not in East Yorkshire.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Digifiend wrote:
Lew Stringer wrote:

Lew
Well kids shouldn't be reading Viz, and therefore how on Earth did they learn the word!?!
Because some kids DO read Viz. Just as I used to look at underground comics when I was 14.
Digifiend wrote:It's out of context as well if it's supposed to refer to discussions about sex, the Beano characters use it just as colcool007 describes.
It's only Finbarr who uses it as a reaction to sexual innuendo. The word "Woot" itself has no sexual meaning and has moved into popular usage now, as did "totally hatstand" (another Viz phrase).

Anyway, Sid James used "Cor!!" as a reaction to Barbara Windsor's boobs but it didn't stop IPC using it as the title for a children's comic. :lol:

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Robbie Moubert

Post by Robbie Moubert »

Lew Stringer wrote: as did "totally hatstand" (another Viz phrase).
That's from The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

So Viz copied a book and/or TV show. Just googled the phrase, apparently hatstand is a substitute for crazy or insane. This conversation is starting to get totally hatstand! :lol:

Raven

Post by Raven »

Interesting page on the origins of 'woot' (which was common in America long before the UK) here - did Viz pick it up from this?:

http://www.doubletongued.org/index.php/ ... _and_w00t/

'The most likely explanation, as is usually the case, is far simpler. Woot is, with some caveats, probably derived from and most likely popularized by the dance catch phrase of 1993, "whoot, there it is!" In clubs and on dance floors across the country, in half-time shows and in baseball stadiums, "whoot, there it is" and plain old "woot!" were shouted long and loud by millions. It was used by hype men at hip-hop shows, dancers and cheerleaders at ball games, DJs at discos, and probably by ball-callers at bingos ... '

and 'woot' was apparently used in the gamer/hacker 'scenes' even earlier ...

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Digifiend wrote:Nothing changes does it? Minnie the Minx and Benji (Ball Boy's pal) both used the word "Woot!" in the Beano recently. Never heard anyone say that, of any age. And kids today don't use words like extreme either (as used in the renaming of The Dandy as Dandy Xtreme). So DC Thomson's staff today are no better than DC Comics' staff of the 1970s.
Neg from channel 4's 'Balls of steel' uses it all the time.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

:oops: Gotta admit, never even heard of it... bit embarrassing, since it's on one of the main four channels.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Digifiend wrote::oops: Gotta admit, never even heard of it... bit embarrassing, since it's on one of the main four channels.
It's for young people. :wink:

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

:!: I am young - I'm only 25!

Raven

Post by Raven »

Digifiend wrote::!: I am young - I'm only 25!

Balls of Steel is aimed at people with an *IQ* of 25, though - or preferably much lower!