A Cheeky question how did Elephant on the run end?

Buster, Whizzer and Chips, Whoopee, Wham, Smash, you name it!

Moderator: AndyB

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

I have a lot of issues though not the ending...
who was the man in the mac?

Bet the elephant has inherited money......my guess

Muffy

Re: A Cheeky question how did Elephant on the run end?

Post by Muffy »

As you know the last Cheeky in Feb 1980, never concluded the story. Just looking through some old Cheeky Summer Specials, the 1980 one had an 'Elephant on the run' story (see attached)

Though this story isn't drawn by Robert Nixon. There were also two 'The Gang' story's drawn by the original artists so they may have been left over after Cheeky merged.

I looked through the 1982 Special too, but no Elephant story there :(

So perhaps the Elephant is still on the run (he had no tusks so he may have only been a baby Elephant so is likely to still be alive). Perhaps he found his way back to Botswana or Tanzania (his ears suggested he was original an African elephant by descent) and the man in the mac probably retired to Eastbourne :)

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Its the same as the Sparky character who was on the run...maybe the elephant and him went on the run together..
Its a shame there was no conclusions for both these characters..
running forever..

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Barry Glennard drew that one.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Must be an early example of his work then - that's over a decade before he started doing The Numskulls and Gnasher and Gnipper for The Beano. What else did he do before 1993?

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Barry did a lot of work for IPC and Fleetway in the 1980s. I remember him ghosting on Ivor Lott and Tony Broke, Kid King, and others - the main strip I remember as his "own" was Nosey Parker, a schoolkid with an extendable nose.

Niblet

Post by Niblet »

Maybe the man in the plastic mac mistook our elephant hero for the evil elephant in this Buytonic Boy story. I don't know when this originally appeared, this scan is from a Best of Whizzer and Chips.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Brilliant explaination.. :D

the story is about 1981..
Whizzer and Chip and Krazy started in 1978..

Robert's work is just lovely to see..

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Though it leaves you wondering how the elephant escaped from the mouse circle... i suppose they melted. (How Doctor Who will explain away the return of the weeping angels is another matter, if they were stuck as stone forever... well unless it's just going to be a different lot)

Going off on a tangent, i read in that ever reliable source, The Union Jack, that tigers, lions, bears etc are terrified of mice too. So if you ever go into a jungle just carry one in a cage.

Niblet

Post by Niblet »

felneymike wrote:Though it leaves you wondering how the elephant escaped from the mouse circle...
What happened was this - the policeman handcuffed Ivory Bill and took him to the cop shop. Steve Ford, who should have known better and taken the elephant to the zoo himself, left it to the policeman to arrange for someone to deal with the elephant. In the meantime Greedy Greg (who's never far away when Sweet Tooth has a bag of sweets) arrived and couldn't resist snaffling a sugar mouse...and then another...and another.

Muffy

Post by Muffy »

The good news is that being in England he was unlikely to be poached for Ivory :arrow:

Being very long-lived the Elephant is probably still around! The man in the plastic mac must be be a pensioner by now and enjoying using his freedom pass, watching cut-price cinema films and finally, without having to worry about catching a clever elephant :roll: