Advert for Buster no. 1

Buster, Whizzer and Chips, Whoopee, Wham, Smash, you name it!

Moderator: AndyB

stevezodiac

Advert for Buster no. 1

Post by stevezodiac »

I found this in Film Fun comic, it was badly stapled and had made a crease in the page but a nice find:
Attachments
Busterj.jpg

Peter Gray

Re: Advert for Buster no. 1

Post by Peter Gray »

Great find...also funny he had a Dennis the Menace jumper......in the last ever Buster he removed his cap to show Dennis the Menace hair drawn by Jack Edward Oliver..

Buster is Dennis!!! :lol:

great find thanks for all these gems

no striped jumper........maybe they knew it was too close to Dennis the Menace in The Beano and changed it at the last minute...

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

You're right. On the front cover repro in the advert he has a hooped jumper but not in the finally released front cover. Wonder what went on there?

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Could just be that the black hoops give the figure more definition in a b/w illustration.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Interesting observation! It does look to me as though the shirt was altered during production, first from thick black hoops to thin ones, and then to plain red (I'd guess the similarity to Dennis prompted the first change while the thin hoops were dropped because they just didn't present a very strong visual). As shown below the thin hoops persisted in the ad for Buster no.2.

- Phil R.
Attachments
bust2.jpg

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

I always thought that the thin hoops were to represent a stripey jumper with thick hoops, but then that's just me. I had never even thought that they might have been just thin bands of colour, but then again I grew up in the decade that fashion forgot, so what do I know! :)
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!