Buster Special 2009

Buster, Whizzer and Chips, Whoopee, Wham, Smash, you name it!

Moderator: AndyB

Phoenix
Guru

Re: Buster Special 2009

Post by Phoenix »

Lew Stringer wrote:my local branch have decided to rack a pile of pregnancy magazines in the exclusive Beano box
Why are we surprised? People give in to temptation all the time, so why should the characters in Beanotown be any different? All the elements are there. I reckon Dennis the Menace was mainly to blame. He took Minnie the Minx to the local flea pit for the evening. While they were watching the film they had a few Nibblers at each other's necks. This made them quite frisky. As they left the cinema they felt hungry but but there was no problem because on the way home they had a choice of Chipis. When they finished eating their supper and got back to Dennis's empty pad, Minnie suggested they play a game of Les Pretend, which soon developed into Ball Boy. You know how these things happen, it really wasn't very long before Dennis put in his thumb and pulled out his Little Plum, which led fairly quickly to a Roger on Fred's bed. A couple of months later, Minnie realised that she was going to have a Baby Face, possibly a Bash Street Kid. What a pair of Numskulls!! So, clearly the pregnancy magazines in the exclusive Beano box would actually seem to be suitably positioned - as a warning. I rest my case.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Not too late Laura, you can order that Misty special from the publisher - comicarchive@egmont.co.uk

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Digifiend wrote:Not too late Laura, you can order that Misty special from the publisher - comicarchive@egmont.co.uk
In a perfect world publishers would send their freelancers copies of all their latest comics, but sadly that doesn't happen unless one works for Marvel or DC in the USA.

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

grumpy old man

Post by grumpy old man »

Ah, but who’s played the Spot Snooper game? And which pages/strips did you spot him in? (sorry everyone who still hasn’t got a copy)

Muffy

Post by Muffy »

8th Jan 2010 - one month later - my local WHSmiths has started stocking, in the children's comics section. 4 copies (less the one I got). Was a bit disappointed, but nice to see the first Buster for 10 years (26 years since I last had a new copy from my grandad). Did seem that Egmont had bought about five old issues from 1975 and 1976 and scanned in any-old-pages. Lots of Pete's Pocket Army fans will be pleased. The Marney story was nice to see, though I'd have chosen one of the one-off episode's rather than halfway through an epic tale which was also to be continued (also some of the detail of John Stokes superb artwork was lost in scanning). Interesting to see the 'facsimile' advert. I certainly wouldn't have put Snooper on the cover - perhaps the long-running X-Ray Specs? Though it did prove to be a nostalgic read, with lots of old favourites of mine from Monster Fun. I hope Egmont do a 1980s Buster classic comic this year. I put one of the issues beside the latest Economist, so that perhaps a thirty or forty year old will see it today. :)

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Muffy wrote:Did seem that Egmont had bought about five old issues from 1975 and 1976 and scanned in any-old-pages.
Selfishly speaking, I was quite pleased they chose those years as I stopped reading Buster during that period because I'd just left school and thought myself too old for humour comics. :lol: I soon saw the light after a few years and started buying it again on the build up to its 21st anniversary, which then inspired me to try and become a Buster artist myself.

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Finally found them in Belfast, sharing a box with Classics from the Comics. There were five at the start of lunchtime, but by 2pm there were only four for some reason. Wonder why that was?

nottinghamian

Post by nottinghamian »

Buster has arrived in Nottingham! About 10 copies, shelved somewhere you can see 'em. Too high for children all the same.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

AndyB wrote:Finally found them in Belfast, sharing a box with Classics from the Comics. There were five at the start of lunchtime, but by 2pm there were only four for some reason. Wonder why that was?
A member of staff noticed the missing pages and had to cannibalise one to save the others? :wink:

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

http://www.bustercomic.co.uk/040175.jpg
heres the original cover.....from bustercomics website..
with Snooper fishing with his nose..

http://www.bustercomic.co.uk/140974.jpg
heres a cover with Marney the fox on the cover...good funn looking at these covers..

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

felneymike wrote:
AndyB wrote:Finally found them in Belfast, sharing a box with Classics from the Comics. There were five at the start of lunchtime, but by 2pm there were only four for some reason. Wonder why that was?
A member of staff noticed the missing pages and had to cannibalise one to save the others? :wink:
:lol: Nice joke. Of course the real reason was Andy bought that copy.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Digifiend wrote:Of course the real reason was Andy bought that copy.
So are you ruling out then the possibility that he might have stolen it?

Dizrythmia

Post by Dizrythmia »

Thanks to Matt for sending me one all the way to Australia. It was a good read after all these years, but at the same time I was a bit disappointed. I have pretty much the same complaints as everyone else, mainly regarding the adventure stories & how pointless it was putting in one part of a story you never saw the start of & may never see the end of. There was also the fact that I felt a bit underwhelmed while reading it. I wasn't expecting new content or anything, but something just... wasn't there for me. I can't pinpoint it...

If they do another I'd certainly be interested in getting a copy, but yeah... I dunno...

Wil

Post by Wil »

I finally got this at the weekend and enjoyed reading through it. My complaints (apart from the only-one-part-of-the-story thing) is that, like all the others in the series, it really doesn't seem to have had any effort put into it at all. The paper stock's just all wrong and they really could have done with some kind of intro/history bit describing how long it ran etc.

My wife got a Jackie special bookazine this weekend and for only a £1 more it certainly had a lot more in with far better production values.

Must do better - Egmont

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

The back cover, a modified Buster and Monster Fun front cover, does say 1960-2000 on it, where the Monster Fun logo used to be. But yeah, an editorial wouldn't have been a bad idea.