Power Comics Adverts

Buster, Whizzer and Chips, Whoopee, Wham, Smash, you name it!

Moderator: AndyB

stevezodiac

Power Comics Adverts

Post by stevezodiac »

looking through the Whams I picked up a few weeks back I saw some nice ads for the beginnings of three Power titles - thought i'd share them with you. I'm lucky to be old enough to remember getting the first Fantastic and sticking the scar on my wrist in the school playground. Wonderful days.

Niblet

Re: Power Comics Adverts

Post by Niblet »

Cheers for the post, Steve. Brought back fond memories. I have a home movie featuring a clip of me on holiday in '67, proudly wearing my Iron Man iron-on transfer (from Terrific) which my mum had carefully applied to a white t-shirt.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

"Swingiest zingiest"???

Hard to believe that someone at Odhams was paid to systematically alter all the americanisms in the Marvel strips before they could be seen by a British audience! :shock:

- Phil Rushton

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

The Fantastic ads refer to a Mid-Atlantic Accent - sounds like an explaination for those Americanisms. I'm not sure they altered them. We'd need to see the UK and US versions side by side to be sure.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Digifiend wrote:The Fantastic ads refer to a Mid-Atlantic Accent - sounds like an explaination for those Americanisms. I'm not sure they altered them. We'd need to see the UK and US versions side by side to be sure.
Yes they did alter a lot of Americanisms in the UK reprints. "Gonna" became "going to", "New York" became "the city", and if Ben Grimm referred to an American comedian it'd be changed to a UK reference etc. It's not like they wanted to pretend it was England, just that they didn't want Americanisms to alienate the readers.

The changes were usually quite obvious because the lettering wouldn't match.

It was quite pointless though. As kids we knew the strips were set in America because the environment and fashions looked just like those we saw on American tv shows, and in the letters pages of Fantastic etc they never denied those strips were American in origin. Also, the original Marvel comics were in newsagents and the whole appeal of those comics was because they were so different from our culture. (British and American culture is so similar these days but back in the Sixties, American comics and tv shows seemed like they were from a distant and exciting world far removed from our own.)

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/