Battle comics on ebay

Buster, Whizzer and Chips, Whoopee, Wham, Smash, you name it!

Moderator: AndyB

Lew Stringer

Re: Battle comics on ebay

Post by Lew Stringer »

Digifiend wrote:He obviously doesn't read this forum then... the fool. If he did, he'd have known £50 was nearer what he should be aiming for. All the guy had to do was a simple Google search to find out what similar items had sold for in the past.... You should always research your product before selling it. I bet people have had bargains when people underestimated the value of goods, just like the way this one being over-valued is stopping it selling.
Assuming the comics are as good as they look in the photo £125 is not over-valued. The price includes postage and there are a lot of comics in that pile, plus annuals. Of course his reserve price may be far higher and unrealistic.

I can't see the item on eBay now. Did bidding end? Did they sell?
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Just searched for battle valiant comics, it didn't show up. I assume bidding ended.

Found this though. Complete 2000AD, £1,999! It came up in the search because Battle and Valiant were among the tags used (as were Beano and Viz, not sure what the link is there!)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/COMPLETE-2000AD-C ... 5d2778c95d

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Here's a steal for someone if anyone is looking for DCT Lucky Charm comics. I must admit to being sorely tempted myself.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

colcool007 wrote:Here's a steal for someone if anyone is looking for DCT Lucky Charm comics. I must admit to being sorely tempted myself.
Think I'll pass. A bit tatty looking and "yellowed with age" (!?!). They're only about 25 years old aren't they? Where do people keep their comics, in a greenhouse? :lol:
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

colcool007 wrote:Here's a steal for someone if anyone is looking for DCT Lucky Charm comics. I must admit to being sorely tempted myself.
Well, did you get the issues of Lucky Charm, Colin? They went for £30.99 so they really were a steal, given that, according to the vendor's description of the item, £12 of that was essentially to cover his 'free' p&p. Even including the p&p, that's 26 64-page issues for marginally over £1 each, the kind of price you might hope to pay for comics at the fag end of a car boot sale. I hope it was you, but I hae ma doots!

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

I did think about going for it, but alas our dryer died a death and it has put a crimp on my comic buying for a couple of weeks. I am still trying to fill holes in my Victor/Hornet/Hotspur collections so I can't afford to get too distracted by other collections.

Mind you, I am stalking a 14 issue lot of Hotspur at the moment as it fills in a couple of gaps. But as I can get that for less than the price of a litre of petrol, I can just about afford that. Just nobody tell Valeera!
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Captain Storm

Post by Captain Storm »

Digi wrote:
Battle and Valiant were among the tags used (as were Beano and Viz, not sure what the link is there!)
Hi Digi,it's called cross-advertising.It smells as bad as it sounds! Typically,the premise is that even though you didn't look for it,the vender thinks that because it is the same medium,you may like it,actually they are hoping you will buy it , even though you really don't want it. Sneaky tactics used by all major Supermarkets..."Sorry,Sir,we don't have that,but can we offer you this (instead) ?" To which you should reply,.."No you dumba** :censored: ! That's not what I looked for!" Rant over....

Have a nice day! 8)

The Cap.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Phoenix wrote:
Well, did you get the issues of Lucky Charm, Colin? They went for £30.99 so they really were a steal, given that, according to the vendor's description of the item, £12 of that was essentially to cover his 'free' p&p. Even including the p&p, that's 26 64-page issues for marginally over £1 each, the kind of price you might hope to pay for comics at the fag end of a car boot sale. I hope it was you, but I hae ma doots!
No Derek, 'twas I who bought the Lucky Charms. I thought I'd give them a punt at £40 and, as you say, I think they are quite a bargain once you factor in the fact that the purchase price includes postage.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Kashgar wrote:No Derek, 'twas I who bought the Lucky Charms. I thought I'd give them a punt at £40 and, as you say, I think they are quite a bargain once you factor in the fact that the purchase price includes postage.
So, given that they went for c £30, do you mean that your top bid was £40? On second thoughts don't answer that, it might reveal a glimpse of your eBay bidding strategy. Let's just rejoice in your success and the fact that your opponents were rather spineless. You'll be relieved as well that there wasn't a mon-ell on your tail!!

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

My top bid would have been £40 Derek. I don't think it exposes any bidding strategy revealing the fact.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

I agree. The only thing you've revealed there is how much you was willing to pay.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Kashgar wrote:My top bid would have been £40 Derek. I don't think it exposes any bidding strategy revealing the fact.
My post was not intended to be taken literally. I had already worked out that £40 was your top bid, Ray, and I was being quite dismissive, in a lighthearted way, of its lack of ambition and, of course, that of your adversaries, given that the lot was clearly worth in excess of £100. Perhaps I should use appropriate smilies more often.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Phoenix wrote:
Kashgar wrote:My top bid would have been £40 Derek. I don't think it exposes any bidding strategy revealing the fact.
My post was not intended to be taken literally. I had already worked out that £40 was your top bid, Ray, and I was being quite dismissive, in a lighthearted way, of its lack of ambition and, of course, that of your adversaries, given that the lot was clearly worth in excess of £100. Perhaps I should use appropriate smilies more often.
Any collectible is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it...

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

tony ingram wrote:Any collectible is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it...
This is one of those blanket assertions that people often trot out and present as truths. To have any real value, it would have to be qualified by adding a phrase such as in any group of bidders after someone because, as it stands, it excludes all those potential bidders who would have bid the lot up if only they had known about the auction. It is, of course, true that if Ray had placed a top bid of £100 in the auction we are referring to, he would still have won it for the £30 he did have to pay, but individually those issues of Lucky Charm are worth a minimum of £5 each even if they had been stored in a greenhouse, and some have been sold on eBay over the last two or three years for in excess of £30 each. If the lot contained say five or six issues of an admittedly difficult-to-find comic that somebody was desperate to get hold of, then 26 issues for £130 would be well worth the outlay.

Raven

Post by Raven »

Phoenix wrote: ... but individually those issues of Lucky Charm are worth a minimum of £5 each even if they had been stored in a greenhouse, and some have been sold on eBay over the last two or three years for in excess of £30 each.

What makes these Lucky Charm comics especially rare/desirable/collectable, then? Weren't they just reprints of strips from weekly titles? Thomson titles from the period full of original material don't go for anything like that.