Cor!! 40th anniversary today

Buster, Whizzer and Chips, Whoopee, Wham, Smash, you name it!

Moderator: AndyB

Lew Stringer

Re: Cor!! 40th anniversary today

Post by Lew Stringer »

Raven wrote: One disappointing thing about the title was how quickly "ghost" artists seemed to take over some of the best strips as it went on.
I'm guessing that the regulars were getting so much work that it was inevitable they'd have to bring in ghost artists. The IPC line seemed to expand fairly quickly and even Reg Parlett would only be able to manage so much. Still, it must have been a great period for new artists to break into the industry. Even Buster's office boy Kevin O'Neill did a bit for Cor!!

http://lewstringer.blogspot.com/2009/02 ... -days.html

Raven

Post by Raven »

Lew Stringer wrote: I'm guessing that the regulars were getting so much work that it was inevitable they'd have to bring in ghost artists. The IPC line seemed to expand fairly quickly and even Reg Parlett would only be able to manage so much. Still, it must have been a great period for new artists to break into the industry.

Well, I think the IPC policy was to keep on expanding and siphon the best artists off to the brand new titles as they came out.

I think Robert Nixon's Hire a Horror was actually as good and distinctive as Reg Parlett's in its own way. It's disappointing though to buy a Cor!! and find your Freddie Fang or Andy's Ants drawn by a different artist with the wrong feel. I also thought Parlett was the definitive artist for Ivor and Tony.

Two strips I never liked in Cor!!: Tricky Dicky - I really disliked the art on that, and Football Madd.

A great one, though: Joe Colquhoun's brilliant Goodies pages in 1973 - one of his best; maybe even his best.

And Jelly Baby - I like the weirdness of the idea: an elastic-bodied bonneted baby.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

The problem with Hire a Horror is that it's the same concept as Rent a Ghost... as well as the same artist.

There was very little that Bob Nixon couldn't draw utterly convincingly.

Raven

Post by Raven »

AndyB wrote:The problem with Hire a Horror is that it's the same concept as Rent a Ghost... as well as the same artist.

Well, one was ghosts, and the other was monsters and assorted freaky creatures!

AndyB wrote: There was very little that Bob Nixon couldn't draw utterly convincingly.

I thought this was true of Terry Bave, too - the other very adaptable artist who could ghost a strip in his own style and make it just as appealing as the original; including horror themes - he did some very good stuff for Monster Fun Annual.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Gaswork Gang was mentioned in Cheeky comic on a message on a wall...it said bring back Gaswork Gang..so Frank obviously missed it..

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

http://petergraycartoonsandcomics.blogs ... or%20comic

I'll do some more posts on Cor!!
I'll show Rat Trap..
Now did Kashgar show the artists for one issue on Cor!! on this forum?..

Shiner

Post by Shiner »

One from Shiner's vault....

(though apologies if this doesn't work as I haven't uploaded an image before)
Attachments
200712171.jpg

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Looking through my few Cor!! comics and found Cor-medy Choice
One offs contest the reader chooses the strip to be added to Cor!! Val's Vanishing Cream won..
I have number 3 Willy the World's Worst Werewolf..which I'll put up as a blog post soon..also have Seymore Son of Tarzan..can anyone put up anyother strips here..
Early 1973
Also did it again in early 1974..
love to see these one offs..

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Here is Cor-medy

http://petergraycartoonsandcomics.blogs ... comic.html

Wonder who won the next contest after Val the vanishing cream won the previous year...

Also there are a lot of artists I'm not sure about on the post..if anyone can help with a few..

Also if anyone got any scans they can put up here of the other Cor-medy then it would be great to see and I'll use for another blog post..

Thanks..

klakadak-ploobadoof

Post by klakadak-ploobadoof »

Peter Gray wrote:Wonder who won the next contest after Val the vanishing cream won the previous year...

There were not one but two winners of the second Cor-medy contest: The Spectre Inspector and Wally's Weirdies. Both debuted as regular sets in Cor!! issue dated 20th April, 1974 (Easter number) and survived the merger with Buster shortly after.
Other contestants were: Jinx Street, Hickory Dickory Doc, Willy - the World's Worst Werewolf and Our Kid.
Check out my blog about comics from other peoples' childhood: http://kazoop.blogspot.com

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Thanks for that very useful for my next post..

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

http://petergraycartoonsandcomics.blogs ... art-2.html

Who drew Wally weirdies...is it Stan McMurty?
thanks for any help..