BIG Comic Fortnightly

Buster, Whizzer and Chips, Whoopee, Wham, Smash, you name it!

Moderator: AndyB

PaulTwist

Re: BIG Comic Fortnightly

Post by PaulTwist »

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING IS MERE SPECULATIUON AND SHOULD BE TREATED AS SUCH. HYPOTHETICAL ONLY. I AM NOT ASSERTING THIS AS FACT.

Wasn't part of the reason Classics from the Comics folded due to DC Thomson closing their own printing presses? The timing matches up. Of course, if it'd been selling ten times as many copies I'm sure it would've continued regardless, but presumably while it was cost-effective to print such a low-selling title when they owned their own presses, it proved not to be if they didn't?

I'd love to see a relaunched CftC. Maybe add some colour pages and ramp up the price to £3? Or even make it a deluxe £5 quarterly publication? There must be a way to make a nostalgic reprint comic work!

PaulTwist

Post by PaulTwist »

Erm, bit off-topic there.

I loved Big Comic Fortnightly as a kid. I think the annuals preceded the fortnightly comic, and I was incredibly excited when I saw it advertised. 52 pages for just 35p!

I bet I have loads of those in my parents' attic still. I really need to investigate. (Though god knows where I'd keep them all if I brought them home. The house is already overflowing with piles of recent comics in pretty much every room, much to my fiancee's annoyance.)

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

I believe that the print run of Classics may have been too short to economically transfer to the new printer in its 64 page glued newsprint plus glossy cover format, and that changing the paper wasn't economical either.

It doesn't stop us dreaming. Big Comic's strength was that it was printing stuff that simply wasn't featuring in the best of Whizzer and Chips, Whoopee or Buster monthlies at the time. Especially at the beginning, it showed great thought in its editing.

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

I think the fair way to describe Classic's run was successful for it's time but a failure at the end which to be fair is the same for most Comics in history.

I think a return for BIG Comic would be great but the question is who would it be aimed at, Kids or Nostalgic Adults.

PaulTwist

Post by PaulTwist »

Nostalgic adults, no doubt. Make it a "premium" product to make it attractive to WH Smith and expensive enough so that it survives with a smaller readership.

(Would this work? I lack the knowledge of publishing to know. But I'd like to see it!)