the character Cheeky...

Buster, Whizzer and Chips, Whoopee, Wham, Smash, you name it!

Moderator: AndyB

Peter Gray

the character Cheeky...

Post by Peter Gray »

Starting in Krazy
getting his own comic in Cheeky Weekly
wonderful movie spoofs in Whoopee!!
http://comics.brucelaing.id.au/masterpiecedoodle/
..then to two pages..one page then a comic strip..
But also in summer specials annuals...so a mega fleetway character..

a rival to Plug comic also a toothy character..

Frank has to be the reason why cheeky was a success...the amazing all looking very different characters..talking to the reader all the time...
If the characters were in shadow you could tell them apart..

Cheeky didn't always win...so a more rounded character...
maybe Cheeky didn't work so well as a two pager..one pager...he needed the space to move around...and so many characters to enjoy..maybe that is why readers fell out of love with him when he went to two pages?

I love the diary feature of Cheeky Weekly comic...a great comic concept..wishjed they kept it going throughout..

I love how the artist and writer feature in the strip.lots of topical jokes as well.which makes it even more special...the stars of the day often feature..
Also like the long running gag throughout..

Cheeky was also in the Krazy gang in whizzer and chips..so Cheeky is an amzing character..and is up the top with Frankie Stein.. :D

I can relate to Cheeky because I am also cheeky myself :)

AndyB
Throgmorton

Re: the character Cheeky...

Post by AndyB »

Yeah, but you don't have his teeth!

Cheeky originated in Krazy, of course, which is how he came to be in Whizzer and Chips and Cheeky (and later Whoopee) at the same time! I was sorry when the Krazy Gang got cancelled.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

When I was young I did stick my front teeth out sometimes..

Gnasher jumper by the way knitted by Mum...Mike Read advertised it..

Krazy gang was good until it went into foil a burglar everyweek..liked it more when the stories were different...also when Freaky was in it.. :)

wilsia

Post by wilsia »

I was recently speaking to Frank McDiarmid and I asked him what character did he like drawing the best and it was Cheeky. He has a real affection for the character and
though it was hard work he really enjoyed enjoyed drawing the strips for Cheeky Weekly.

Frank always give plenty of value in his drawings and there would be always lots of stuff going in the background. a great artist.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Cheeky was one of my favourite comics as a kid after picking up a pile from a local jumble sale i had to get it every week, i miss those old jumble sales :lol:

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

I loved Cheeky Weekly, one of the best of IPC's stable. Aside from the fact that it was impossible not to like Cheeky himself, he just had such a great supporting cast! Bump Bump Bernie, the Manhole Man, and don't even get me started on Lily Pop... :D