School Fun

Buster, Whizzer and Chips, Whoopee, Wham, Smash, you name it!

Moderator: AndyB

philcom55

Re: School Fun

Post by philcom55 »

philcom55 wrote:...I do think that last episode has a certain 'Stringeresque' quality to it though.
Lew Stringer wrote:...Thing is, IPC required a certain house style at the time, (to a certain extent anyway) so a lot of us have similar elements to our work in parts. I never based my style on Tom Williams' but both of us would have had the same influences.
I wasn't, of course, suggesting that your own style was any less distinctive in its own right Lew - nor that you aren't capable of varying it depending on the subject matter. :)

I confess that I've been as critical as anyone of that homogenizing tendency in the look of IPC's post-1960s humour comics - particularly for the way in which it imposed limits on natural mavericks like Ken Reid. In spite of that, however, I have to admit that it did result in a house style that radiated an overwhelming impression of sheer happiness (something that was noticeably lacking in that grey era of three-day-weeks and power cuts!) - so much so that it was almost impossible to read some of their strips without developing an unconscious smile.

While it's dangerous to generalize in these matters (and there were plenty of exceptions) I do think that there was a recognizably different genealogy in the general house styles adopted by DC Thomson and IPC during that period - particularly in the depiction of children. Whereas Thomson specialized in a special kind of anarchistic juvenile malevolence that had its roots in the 1950s cartoons of Giles, via Law, Baxendale and Reid, it seems to me that IPC's kids more commonly expressed an air of exuberant joy that owed far more to the tradition of Reg Parlett and Roy Wilson. And while different readers may have preferred one style or the other I can't help feeling that they were immensely lucky to have the two to choose between!

- Phil Rushton

Raven

Post by Raven »

philcom55 wrote: In spite of that, however, I have to admit that it did result in a house style that radiated an overwhelming impression of sheer happiness (something that was noticeably lacking in that grey era of three-day-weeks and power cuts!) - so much so that it was almost impossible to read some of their strips without developing an unconscious smile.

While it's dangerous to generalize in these matters (and there were plenty of exceptions) I do think that there was a recognizably different genealogy in the general house styles adopted by DC Thomson and IPC during that period - particularly in the depiction of children. Whereas Thomson specialized in a special kind of anarchistic juvenile malevolence that had its roots in the 1950s cartoons of Giles, via Law, Baxendale and Reid, it seems to me that IPC's kids more commonly expressed an air of exuberant joy that owed far more to the tradition of Reg Parlett and Roy Wilson. And while different readers may have preferred one style or the other I can't help feeling that they were immensely lucky to have the two to choose between!

- Phil Rushton

I think you've got something absolutely right there. The IPC comics did have an instant "cheer you up" uplifting feel, with so many artists (Robert Nixon, Mike Lacey, Terry Bave, Sid Burgon, Trevor Metcalfe, etc.) having a kind of infectious joie de vivre to their images. These papers did seem to exist to cheer kids up, which was rather nice. I've suggested before that maybe IPC in the 70s had a less paranoid view of children than earlier eras, and generally didn't portray them so much as inherently malevolent in a 'danger to society' way. Although it was often great, you can see, for example, when Faceache joins the Dickensian Belmonte School for ages, that there's something inherently archaic and olde worlde about the world view Ken Reid expressed, which perhaps seemed a little outmoded by this era.

And yet, outside that general sense of joy and cheer and modernism, I can never quite agree to IPC having a "house style" as such, as so many radically different styles of art sat alongside each other: Leo Baxendale's ultra-cartoony work alongside Ken Reid's studied, Gothic imagery alongside ... Terry Bave, Brian Walker, Graham Allen, and so on. All so different. Even the adventure artists differed so much - from Lopez to Ron Turner. The main connections seemed to be a highly professional standard of quality.
Last edited by Raven on 29 Aug 2013, 12:05, edited 2 times in total.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

philcom55 wrote:
philcom55 wrote:...I do think that last episode has a certain 'Stringeresque' quality to it though.
Lew Stringer wrote:...Thing is, IPC required a certain house style at the time, (to a certain extent anyway) so a lot of us have similar elements to our work in parts. I never based my style on Tom Williams' but both of us would have had the same influences.
I wasn't, of course, suggesting that your own style was any less distinctive in its own right Lew - nor that you aren't capable of varying it depending on the subject matter. :)
That's ok Phil. It hadn't entered my head that you were suggesting that. I was just saying how most of us who worked for IPC had to follow a style (to an extent) so there are bound to be similarities.
philcom55 wrote:Whereas Thomson specialized in a special kind of anarchistic juvenile malevolence that had its roots in the 1950s cartoons of Giles, via Law, Baxendale and Reid, it seems to me that IPC's kids more commonly expressed an air of exuberant joy that owed far more to the tradition of Reg Parlett and Roy Wilson. And while different readers may have preferred one style or the other I can't help feeling that they were immensely lucky to have the two to choose between!

- Phil Rushton
IPC had Bob Paynter as group editor, who was always cautious about the content of his humour comics. I heard the phrase "We have to be careful here" more than once. :lol: That said, his comics did convey a happiness and fresh faced joy, as you said. I was ten years old when Whizzer and Chips was launched, so I was moving out of the target age group when Cor!!, Whoopee, Monster Fun, etc came along. (I still read them though, until I left school in 1975 anyway.) So I couldn't appreciate them on the same level as its target readership but from what people who were the right age have said, those comics were obviously very dear to their hearts, so job done, Bob!

(Personally I preferred the anarchy and comic violence of the Odhams comics, but I was the right age for them which helped.)
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Raven wrote: And yet, outside that general sense of joy and cheer and modernism, I can never quite agree to IPC having a "house style" as such, as so many radically different styles of art sat alongside each other: Leo Baxendale's ultra-cartoony work alongside Ken Reid's studied, Gothic imagery alongside ... Terry Bave, Brian Walker, Graham Allen, and so on. All so different. Even the adventure artists differed so much - from Lopez to Ron Turner. The main connections seemed to be a highly professional standard of quality.
There was a house style to an extent, in that artists who adapted to it had more work than those who preferred to go their own way, but there was still room for flexibility. eg: the comics were dominated by Mike Lacey, Reg Parlett, Terry Bave, and artists who had similar styles, but people such as Cliff Browne and Ian Knox still got work in there too.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Don't forget Jack Edward Oliver.. :D

The IPC comics sure made me happy as a kid..

The Beano in a different happy way..

I like the idea of Roy Wilson and Reg Parlett influance..

Someone must interview Bob P one day...I would love to meet him myself..Jack Edward Oliver was going to arrange it for me...But sadly it didn't happen..I often think of Jack..

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Lew Stringer wrote:IPC had Bob Paynter as group editor, who was always cautious about the content of his humour comics. I heard the phrase "We have to be careful here" more than once. :lol:
To be fair to Bob I daresay he had higher-ups who were constantly saying the same thing to him! :)
Lew Stringer wrote:...from what people who were the right age have said, those comics were obviously very dear to their hearts, so job done, Bob!
Also, it seems to me that the current DC Thomson house style is far more in keeping with the Paynter tradition than the original versions of Dennis the Menace et al, so I guess it could be said that Bob's influence has continued right up to the present day.

- Phil R.
Last edited by philcom55 on 29 Aug 2013, 12:58, edited 1 time in total.

Raven

Post by Raven »

philcom55 wrote: Also, it seems to me that the current DC Thomson house style is far more in keeping with the Paynter tradition than the original versions of Dennis the Menace et al, so I guess it could be said that Bob's influence has continued right up to the present day.

- Phil R.
I've often thought that by the late Noughties, DCT were finally getting closer to an IPC comic of 1976!

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Lew Stringer wrote:
AndyB wrote:Time Bus was by Keith Reynolds, who later took over (and redesigned) School Belle. Also worked for DCT, drawing the Teeny Toppers, Tom Tum and Tom, Dick and Sally.
Ah yes, sorry. I always used to think that style was Tom Williams for some reason. Must be thinking of a different cartoonist.
Lew, it just makes a change for your memory to be faulty - 99 times out of 100 when you and I disagree about an artist, you'll be right!

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Other School Fun strips that made it to Buster:
ImageImage

ImageImage

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

And finally, Slowcoach. Slowcoach is an odd one because he never actually appeared in School Fun; he was reprinted from Whizzer&Chips after School Fun joined Buster. For the sake of argument, he will be classified as a School Fun character for this thread.
Last edited by Tammyfan on 30 Aug 2013, 02:11, edited 2 times in total.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

And how for the School Fun holiday specials. They were a mix of School Fun strips and school strips from older comics. If anyone can identify where the non School Fun strips originally appeared, I'll update accordingly.
Update: all identified now. Thanks to everyone who helped!

School Fun strips
B. Ware Caretaker
Creepy Crawler
School Belle
Schoolditz
Softy Sir
Teachers United
The School Team
Time Bus
Walt Teaser
Young Arfur

School Fun strips absent

Coronation Street School
E.T.T.
Grange Hill Juniors
Slowcoach (Whizzer & Chips)
Willy Wonty

Other strips
Dogsbodies' Academy (Cor!!)
Gus Gags (Cor!!)
Gus Gorilla (Cor!!)
Knight School (Whizzer & Chips)
Son of Sir (Knockout)
Space School (Whizzer & Chips)
Sports School (Shiver and Shake)
Spy School (Whoopee)
Teacher's Pet (Cor!!)
The Gasworks Gang (Cor!!)
The Scareys of St Mary's (Whizzer & Chips)
Whacky (Cor!!)
Will Power (Jackpot)
Last edited by Tammyfan on 30 Aug 2013, 20:59, edited 7 times in total.

blaing

Post by blaing »

Son of Sir originally appeared in the 1971 revival of Knockout
Spy School originally appeared in the early issues of Whoopee
Teacher's Pet and Whacky originally appeared in Cor!!
the Scareys of St. Marys was from Whizzer and Chips

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

@ Blaing: thanks! The new information has now been incorporated.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Readers voted Willy Wonty out of six contenders to be a new strip in School Fun. I wonder if it was because Willy was the only contender that did not have a school theme? Anyway, Willy came to an end with the final issue. He may have won the vote for new regular, but it seems he was still not strong enough to carry on in Buster.

Raven

Post by Raven »

Tammyfan wrote: Other strips
Dogsbodies' Academy
Gus Gags (Cor!!)
Gus Gorilla (Cor!!)
Knight School
Son of Sir (Knockout)
Space School
Sports School
Spy School (Whoopee)
Teacher's Pet (Cor!!)
The Gasworks Gang (Cor!!)
The Scareys of St Mary's (Whizzer & Chips)
Whacky (Cor!!)
Will Power
Dogsbodies Academy is from early Cor!! Space School and Knight School are from Whizzer and Chips.